Who was at Radford Bugole in the 50's

I wenta the bug ole in the 50's I can remember: Joey Nelson, Snakey Vipond, Derek Woodcock, Eddie Emery, Dennis Dunstan, we all usta play on the Rec facing the school. Anbody out there?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you Carni, it certainly wasn't my intention of spinning a sob story or look for pity. I just felt that I was sharing an experience of earlier days and how we coped. It was a privilege to have th

So sorry to read about the loss of your boys - losing a child must be the worst thing ever - and to lose two children .... I have no words.    Your boys must have been born in the same years as our el

It is the kindness of people such as yourselves that have helped us through the years. It makes you realise it's not bad world after all. Fly2, I see from your description that you have an intere

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

eh I know lots about some of these. Dekk/Deggo Woodcock - not his real name but that of his stepdad - lived at Byfield Street off Hartley Road - the same small street as Eddie Emery. there was another kid Johny who accidentally hanged himself whilst playing cowboys, on the back of his bedroom door. Johny Vipond married a girl near Salisbury St, one or two streets across, named Lambert but can't remember her first name. thar's another message I spotted about the Finch family - the lad Tony was Dekko's pal tho they fell out & Dekko wrote 'Tony Finch is a scruffy halfpeth' in huge letters on the Dame Agnes Mellor boy's club front & it remained for years, long after Byfield Street was demolished. on the corner of Byfield St was a poor fag shop run by the Hutchesons/Hutchinsons, a Jewish family whose ma was severely disturbed playing classical piano as victims were sent to the ovens. Eddie Emery had a golf bag & kids would knock balls about on the rec near the BugHut. question is: who are you guys? real names would help - remember Michael Heathcliff, lived opposite Eddie Emery: or Rodney Westerby, Michael Colbert & David Tomlinson & Leonard Wooley (Westerby & Wolley died) all of Denman St or Forster St. Near Byfield St is Norton Street where a plucky lil gal bit the motorway mass murderers arm, leading to his arrest (name of killer escapes me - Black?). so who are yer Chaff that knew Dekk Eddie & others? OK Jim O

• 4 months later...

I am that scruffy halfpeth Tony Finch who used to live directly opposite The Dame Agnes at 133 Norton Street. Woody was my best mate untill we fell out, can't even remrmber why! Was in the same class as Eddie Emery, and knew Lenny Wooley. I now live in oz in Adelaide. Got a lot of memories so if you are interested keep in touch. Hope to hear from you again, will reply promptly this time,have not looked on the site for yonks

Blimey,I remember you Tony Finch,by the way this is not Lyn Mee but her better half Alan,when you lived at Clifton in the late 50s early 60s,here's a few names to jog your memory either from the Youth Club or hanging about outside the Co-op on Southchuch or if we got lucky round the back of the Co-op.Ken Chappell,Dave Batey,Reg Davis,Ron Corney,Terry Small,Johnny and Ernie Gadsby,Ronnie Wells and Syd Wells,Jeff Clapperton and the girls Lyn Clarkstone,Jean Goddard,Beryl Kemp,Glynis Hutton,Maureen Clark,Sandra Bartram,Marlene Crowley,Dorothy Ball,Pauline Frost,Gail and Margaret Revell.Hope they have rung a few bells Chaff,bumped into Carmella Wilson a few months ago,remember her?Keep in touch mate.

Alan Mee

• Upvote 1
I am that scruffy halfpeth Tony Finch who used to live directly opposite The Dame Agnes at 133 Norton Street. Woody was my best mate untill we fell out, can't even remrmber why! Was in the same class as Eddie Emery, and knew Lenny Wooley. I now live in oz in Adelaide. Got a lot of memories so if you are interested keep in touch. Hope to hear from you again, will reply promptly this time,have not looked on the site for yonks

Hi Chaff, my dad lived on Denman street sometime very early 50s in a 3 story building that had a wet fish shop... Also my great grandmother had a few houses on Foster street where she had her funeral parlour by the name of Hughes- this was later to become her sons [ my grandmothers brother] which was still going in the 70s.

What made me more interested was the fact that you are i Adelaide.... Funnily enough we emigrated there in 1968- to adelaide and we lived at 2 addresses one I know was called Corroberie road which was on the Modbury estate near to Tee Tree gully. Our house was single story and had a tin roof. I can't remember the other one ]must ask my mother] We came back 3 years later . We have an old cine camera with adelaide on it that has been transfered to video.

I cant remember any of it as I was 3 when we came back.

Anyway I hope you reply with any remembrances

Have more info on Adelaide from my mother- The first house we lived in which is the one they bought was on Elwood Avenue [this is the one with the tin roof] When they decided to move back they sold it and rented the property on Corroberie road -apparently this house was smaller but more modern. My mother was real homesick and hated the weather as in those days of course the air conditioning was only in the malls with only ceiling fans in the house. We used to go to an open aired park in Adelaide pitch a shading tent and spend the day there to use the pools. Any idea on this Chaff?

• 3 months later...

dear Chaff - geeze, ya knew the infamous Woody. David Tomlinson (Jim Tommo) married Len Wooley's sister & he (Jim Tommo) worked for me several yrs ago, so ahm 'up' on much data tho much is lost. Michael Colbert - part of the 'Woody gang' - became a severe alcoholic & was reduced to begging & Wooley died of a brain hem age 42 thus yrs ago. Westerby (Rod) died of cancer of the jaw fr smoking like a chimney - God knows where Colbert (Chopso) is but Tommo lives at Bobber's Mill. Woody was spotted by army intelligence in the 50s with 'an IQ like William James Sidis' & was kicked out of the army for rebellious behaviour (urged on by the same spec ops types). he became a very hard person & protected individuals against, among others, the Krays. he was frequently offered black ops work overseas (training Baluchs, assassinations in Chad, etc) & became a hobo in Asia, trying to smuggle arms & drugs to commie forces in Indonesia. at one stage he knocked around with the Oz billionaire/goldminer Mark Creasy. also he travelled around with a very beautiful boy, an American, adventuring in VietNam (he'd hitchiked thar during the war), Egypt etc. his memories of you ahm told inc ya becoming the world yo-yo champion, beating Art Pickles at a Notts cinema & being violently hit by one Dempster, an Independent St grocer & bullying sh1t, apparently for your bad behavior at the Derby loco works - ya caused the trouble, he got the hammering, so ah suspect that helped the friendship wither on the vine. as a rogue intelligence he apparently trained a beautiful Oxon PhD to infiltrate No 10 and seduce the then PM - just to prove it could be done. allegedly his ma was a Beeston call-girl, who had him raised by an Eastwood psychopath, tho his father remains unknown. thar is a biography of him 'Eulogy to a Genius', unpublished ah believe, much of which ah've read. ah especially liked his LSD exploits & the conquest of a 1000 girls in a contest against a famous artist. formidable brain-power but Tommo says he is still the same merciless, egotistical & ruthless fkcer he always was. ah've heard nicer accounts. at one stage he lived in a huge house in Devon, then Kent, but sort of disappeared off the radar screen. ah've heard he knows ancient Greek, German and Arabic & sports a beautiful mistress with half a dozen languages. thar's a pic of him with his young boyfriend eating grapes or summat but gawd knows how ah'd get that to ya. cheers! fr Jim Overbeck 21-9-08 PS ah heard of him winning a mathematical scholarship against 300 competitors but then he was outstanding under a Mr Mitchell at the Radford bughole (the teacher used to show his maths books to succeeding yrs kids)- - hence at least one of them thar kids went to several universities.

• 1 year later...

Chaff here' have not been on the site for yonks. Still around playing guitar. saw on the news it was cold in england. bloody hot here 40 degrees.Any body who knew me and wants a yarn,go ahead.

• 4 months later...

Have more info on Adelaide from my mother- The first house we lived in which is the one they bought was on Elwood Avenue [this is the one with the tin roof] When they decided to move back they sold it and rented the property on Corroberie road -apparently this house was smaller but more modern. My mother was real homesick and hated the weather as in those days of course the air conditioning was only in the malls with only ceiling fans in the house. We used to go to an open aired park in Adelaide pitch a shading tent and spend the day there to use the pools. Any idea on this Chaff?

Yet again not been on the site for yonks. Yes I do know Corroberie Road. Unreconisable to you nowdays . All thev old weatherboard houses with tin roofs are all gone. Very posh place now. May be the place you used to go to use the pools was water world not far from corro road.

• 4 years later...

I spent a happy four years at bughole 1954 to 1958 I knocked about with dug wilson, makkie

Black, tony cowlishaw, barry brown, and george hancock.

I played a lot of fooball and played in goal for boulevard when mr chamber took sport.

I think the john who accidentally hung himself was john leek one eck of a nice lad.

Did anyone go to Foster st club I played football for them names I remember are gary & tim skill, barry moore, len julian and john vipond.

Denman Street was a great place to spend your childhood all the shop keepers where friendly, i still remember most of the shops Bob Taylors,Clays,Meadow dairy,Scrimshaws, Frank walkers funeral, directors Bill Haywood, holmes cobblers, Mrs Seston Fish and Chip shop,Duks Ironmongers,

Foster grengrocers, Harry Gents Hairdresser, Lambs Electrical, Hershal sweetshop, Mrs Tansley greengrocer, Cockains fish and chip shop and Reeks cafe.

My aunt Mary baked all the pies and cakes for frans pork shop and I used to go out with Fran to deliver orders to customer in The Park and Wollaton Park.

What a shame we had to grow up

Hi Michael.

I lived at no1 Plimsol Terrace till I was 6 then me mam and dad decided to move house while we was at school and without telling us and it was then 27 Garfield Road

till I was 17 I then moved to live with an old lady in a flat on Monfort Street still in Radford.

• Upvote 1