Find my Past - Free weekend

I think I'll stick with my Ancestry.com. I have gone as far back as Gt Gt Gt Grandparents on my paternal side That will do for me. I'm just a bit stuck with My Maternal side. I am being a bit tight. Oh well; I might have to spend, if I want to go further back. No probs with my Grandma, It's Granddad I'm stuck on. Bless him.

• Upvote 1

#25 and #26 and #27. In Find my Past after the email and password log in and just type in surname, first name and date and place of birth. I find that the search facilities are not as good as Ancestry but I have a go on Find my Past when it is free. I found that they do have some records from the National Burial Index in there and some electoral rolls that are not on Ancestry. To avoid all the annoying advertising emails I set up a folder for that email address in my email account so all of it goes straight in there and I look and delete the folder contents when I feel like it! I do this for the others that send me advertising like Band Q.

For free family history have you tried Familysearch? That is good and it has Bishops Transcripts for some counties.

• Upvote 2

I have Family Tree Maker program which holds all of my tree records and I don't need to be online to have a nose around it. It is owned by Ancestry, any changes made to either are synched to all devices which I find very useful.

I prefer FTM as I find that it is much cleaner and less cumbersome than Ancestry. Unfortunately Ancestry has decided to retire FTM and will discontinue all support at the end of 2016. Anyone know of a good program which does both jobs?

• 11 months later...

On Find My Past there is free access to census records; births, marriages and deaths and also parish records starting today and going on until 15th January.   I have been looking at baptism records for Nottingham.  Good coverage including nonconformist churches.  I am looking into the family of my dad's stepmother and it is interesting.  One Baptist Church baptism record states names of the parents and also states the name of the mother's father.  Not seen that before.  The credits say that transcriptions were done by members of the Nottingham Family History Society.  They have done a good job. 

• 3 months later...

The free access is for census records and birth, marriage and death records.  These include parish records and there are more records on there since last time they gave free access. Today I have found some records that are not available on Ancestry, for example coverage of East Yorkshire parish registers.