They are springing up like mushrooms after a downpour. What am I talking about? The hundreds of 20 and 30mph signs the highways department has decided to plaster all over Nottingham's sideroads.

I don't know how much it has cost but I would have thought that the money would be much better spent on enforcement (where speeding is an issue) rather than having restrictions on roads that have not seen a police car in years and, given the planned cuts, are even more unlikely to see one in the future.

We've had speed humps in our area for many years, at least the 11 years that we've lived here. Now 20 mph signs have been put up too. I defy anyone to drive at over 20 with great humps every few yards

• Upvote 1

There's been a 20 mph limit on the road I live but it makes no difference as cars still speed down it. There's nobody to enforce the limit and I think it'a an utter waste of money and bumps would be better and maybe even cheaper.

All the 20mph signs I've seen are around schools. I think they are only "advisory" for when the kids are arriving and leaving.

If you actually drive at 20mph in one of those areas when the schools aren't open, it feels stupidly slow. You will be overtaken by old people in mobility scooters, and chavs on bikes.

Oddly, this side of the pond, we don't have speed limits posted on many streets, it's a regular speed posted as you enter the town or city, usually 30mph, but at school zones there are speed signs posted, usually 15 or 20 mph and rigidly enforced. We are also required to stop when a school bus has stopped and is dropping or picking up kids, both lanes of traffic are obliged to stop!! The bus driver will take your registration number and report you if you disobey the stop law.

But like I say, there is usually a sign at the city or town boundary saying posted speed is 35mph unless posted differently, so you are pre warned. There is usually a prewarning sign a couple of hundred yards prior the speed limit, so you don't have any excuses if caught exceeding the twon/city speed limits.

Speed humps are rare in American city streets as they can hinder emergency vehicles going to an emergency, I'm surprised the police/fire/ambulance haven't brought that point up with the UK authorities.

Ayupmeducks. I am aware of the law in the US where if you are behind a school bus that has its red light flashing, you have to stop, and I hear what you say about stopping for a school bus on the opposite side of the road. What I do not understand is; do you have to stop for a school bus on the opposite side of the road if there is a centre reservation (median) down the centre of the road? Also, is this law a federal law or does it differ for different states?

PS below. Thanks Ayupmeduck for swift response.

From memory, if there is a divided road I don't think you do have to stop, only the traffic behind the bus, I'd have to look that one up... It's state laws not fed laws.

If it were fed laws, the feds would have to police it.

It's universal all states have the same law regarding stopping for a school bus.

I think in the Highway code it says you must drive at a speed which suits the conditions. If you race up a road where there are kids coming out of school then you are very selfish. Most people who are good drivers do not need rules like that. Those who are selfish wouldn't obey them anyway.

I have had to use the M1 between Jcs 26 and 29 for the last 3 days. From Jc 28 there is a 50MPH speed limit. It is TO PROTECT THE WORKFORCE WORKING ON THE WIDENING PROJECT. Yet they still whizz past at 80 only slowing down for the cameras. How selfish is that?

Those 20MPH signs and speed humps are there to remind you that the Old Market Square Kremlin is still in charge. Same as the bus stops that needlessly stick out into the middle of the road.

• Upvote 1

Oh by the way, cost is no problem. Just fine a few more drivers for speeding, parking, going down a forbidden road, scowling at a warden, owning a car etc. Easy peasy. For everything else, just put up the Council Tax every year.

The speed humps on Wigman Road are real humdingers. Any more than 5MPH and you snap your rear axle. All the empty lorries going over them after leaving Glaisdale Drive industrial Estate sound like a bomb going off in the wee small hours.

If you drive faster than the posted speed limit through roadworks in Missouri, you face a few thousand dollar fine and loss of license, if you hit and maim a roadworker or kill him/her you face serious jail time. They have got very strict on speeding through roadworks here. Any road worker will jot down your registration tags and note the make and model of your vehicle and radio it in to dispatch, then watch out for the flashing lights in your rear view mirror, then arrested, taken to the plod shop and booked.

Aren't they SPECS cameras? I.e. the average speed ones?

If so, those speeders will soon regret it when the little brown envelope drops through their letterbox.

#13#15 Yes they are time over distance cameras in the road works not Gatsco's. Everyone of those that exceeded the speed limit between the cameras will be getting a little brown envelope. Last I heard they had made over £100k and that was before Christmas.

That section of the M1 will become very dangerous for speeders later this year when the new high spec hidden, grey cameras go up. They work as Gatsco's and time over distance and one camera can cover all four lanes.

They have just finished testing down south and are being rolled out, that stretch of the M1 is a designated target area.

I don't even think the cameras are loaded. I drive an old banger anyway. If I go too fast it gives up the ghost.

I think they have the new cameras installed already, I was travelling southbound last night between j27 and j26 and I saw the 2 flashes on the other side of the carriageway, there is 3 cameras on a pole about a mile or so north of j26.

These cameras are not mounted that high up.