Creating a YouTube Library

YouTube gives us wonderful access to music and video, much of which we remember from long ago. If you haven't yet used YouTube, then have a go. It is very easy to find a piece of music or video, but it would be nice to be able to retain it on your computer. You can. Actually, what you retain is the URL address link that takes you into YouTube and plays the piece. I am told that computer savvy people can actually download and retain the pieces. It is likely that some members have their own preference as to how they retain the URL link, but this is how I do it. I have Windows 7 and use Internet Explorer. First of all you need to have a folder to keep the URL addresses in, and thus create a library.

A1 Click on your email icon on the desktop.

A2 Right click on any of the message titles in the Inbox or Sent items.

A3 A window appears, click on Move to Folder.

A4 On the right side of window is a small list. Click on New Folder.

A5 Give the folder a name - say, Music, or Music/Video

A6 Click OK and come out of emails.

B1 Go into YouTube and select the item you would like to keep on your computer.

B2 When it is playing right click on the URL address at the top of the screen.

B3 Right click on Copy and then click on X at top right to come out of YouTube (doesn't matter if music is still

playing).

B4 Go back into emails and address an email to yourself.

B5 Right click in message pane and click on Paste (just like posting in Photobucket)

B6 Write name of music/video in Subject space under your email address.

B7 Send message as you normally do.

B8 When the message arrives in your Inbox Right click on it and click on Move to.

B9 Click on Music in the window.

B10 Job done.

C1 On the left side of the screen you will see a list that has Music in it.

C2 Click on it and your list of titles that you have saved will appear.

C3 Click on the title you want to play.

C4 You email message appears, so then Click on the URL address

C5 It will begin to play. Job done.

Build up a library and when you want to listen/see something, just go into emails and on left side of screen click on the Music folder that you have created. As I said, I use Internet Explorer, how these instruction will work with another system I do not know. But hopefully there will not be too much difference.

• Upvote 1

There is a Chrome extension for a YouTube downloader but I am a bit puzzled why not just add the video/clip/whatever to your favourites in YouTube and just go to YouTube when you want to listen or watch. If you have HDMI on your television and laptop you can connect the two and watch the videos or whatever on the tele!

• Upvote 1

I use an STB with XBMC set up in it, I can then access Youtube direct and watch any of the movies, videos or even watch soapies if I was so inclined. It is set up Wi Fi from my router. That's the same way I downoad movies to an external hard drive plugged into the STB via Navi-X.

XBMC can be downloaded to your computer to be used as a "platform" for watching movies on your computer, with Navi-X loaded to XBMC, you'll have access to the latest movies, all free and legal.

For more information, go to xbmchub.com, full instructions and "how to".

• Upvote 1

#4 Malcolm. Because I did not know that you could do that. Sadly, TV is six years old, so no HDMI socket.

Well I wouldn't bother getting a new tele just for an HDMI connection so you watch the crap that is on tele - especially the crap that is on it today!!

Malcom, you don't just have access to HD run of the mill tv programs, HDMI connection gives you much high quality viewing of movies, from many sources like DVD/Bluray players, STB's, (Set Top Boxes) and other media.

The flat screen TV we bought, was to replace a fairly new flat screen TV that got "smoked" due to a close lightning strike, it was bought because our aging TV just didn't "cut it" with not being able to reproduce HD pictures. It was free, I repaired it as it had been "smoked" by lightning..Took all of half an hours fault finding, replaced two diodes and gave us good service for over ten years.

Flat screen TV's are not expensive over here, but then we don't have VAT here!!

Another alternative to a TV would be a large computer monitor fed with an STB, that way you could avoid the TV license fee!!

Its OK I realise HDMI is good for other things but just before writing that post I had been looking at what is on the tele tonight! I must find out about this STB then I shall at least be able to stop paying the licence fee!

There are dozens of STB's around Malcolm, I use the Matricom g box Midnight mx2..But on saying that, get one with a quad processor, what ever make, and make sure it's programmable.

To get the best from it, you'll need XBMC platform, most of the best STB's already come loaded with XBMC or Kodi as it's now known by.

They also come preloaded with programming...aka click on links in the form of icons. Movies and live tv programs can be found on Navi-X, which is real easy to load onto a STB with XBMC platform.

You can download XBMC to your computer by going to xbmchub.com, from their site, and you will find instructions on to how to down load "repos" from that site to let you watch virtually anything, from movies to sport...

I'd never go back to "normal" tv, too much crap and BS and too many adverts.

Flat screen TV's are not expensive over here, but then we don't have VAT here!!

Another alternative to a TV would be a large computer monitor fed with an STB, that way you could avoid the TV license fee!!

Hush, John! Don't go giving the govt any ideas.

They are trying though Dave, been a petition to stop the internet tax which has worked so far.

I've 30 movies queued for download on Navi-X right now, just select, and download, leave it to my STB to do the work and load them onto the 2Tb hard drive. Over 650 movies in my library so far.

There are also file sharing sites dedicated to movies.

If anyone uses Firefox browser, there is an add-on that gives you a download button on the Youtube video, think it might be Oneclick downloader, it appears below the video screen once loaded.

When clicked it gives the option of download quality and type. I use 360 mpeg4 or whatever, I then load the videos on my Ipad via Itunes and have a library to watch anytime, either on my PC or Ipad.

I have around 50 video clips now.

I also keep a folder on my desktop labelled movies and all d/loaded content is sent straight there, easy as.

Oh my pc has win7 pro, but dont think it would make a difference either way what windows you have. The add-on is part of firefox.

• Upvote 2