The road outside my house has had the speed limit reduced from 40 to 30 mph and there are red and white signs indicating this. Has it worked? Has it hell. It seems a popular pastime to see how much it can be beaten by. Occasionally a marked police car will park up and observe but of course everyone behaves when they see it. There is a permanent sign indicating that speed cameras can be used but I can't remember seeing them for a long time. Permanent cameras are the answer as they are not subjective and only present the facts. Motorbikes are one of the worst offenders and as Nottingham Police have a policy of not pursuing motorbikes the riders know they will not be pulled up. If this lust for speed isn't controlled someone is going to lose their life.

• Like 1

What always amazes me is that so many people haven't yet worked it out!   

When driving in urban environments with 30/40mph limits, your journey time is not determined by the weight of your right foot, but by the number of junctions, pedestrian crossings, traffic lights etc.  Quite apart from the risks that speeders present to themselves and other road users, the best their stupidity usually gets them, is first place in the queue at the next red light. :rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

What always amazes me is that so many people haven't yet worked it out!   

When driving in urban environments with 30/40mph limits, your journey time is not determined by the weight of your right foot, but by the number of junctions, pedestrian crossings, traffic lights etc.  Quite apart from the risks that speeders present to themselves and other road users, the best their stupidity usually gets them, is first place in the queue at the next red light. :rolleyes:

Takes us a while to work it out, DJ360. Motorists hate cyclists, who in turn hate motorists, pedestrians and dogs. I got knocked off my bike by a taxi driver on a mobile. Year later, I had to attend a speed awareness course. Illuminating that - if I'm doing 36, instead of stopping at point A, I'm still doing 18mph - enough to injure a toddler. It dawned on me then - I'm a motorist, a cyclist and a pedestrian (not a dog walker, though). But, above all, I'm a human being, and like all of us, I make mistakes. Stupid ones some of them. So now, when confronted by human frailty, I impersonate Basil Fawlty - works for me.

• Like 1

Yep Phil, we all make mistakes and I'm not immune.  I got my only ever speeding points in 1988 for 38 in a 30.  I was concentrating more on watching the charge light flickering because of a faulty alternator, than I was on the road or my speed. They got me 'Bang to Rights' as they say.  A clear mistake on my part.  But, it just seems to me that habitual speeders and especially those who drive much faster than the majority of other drivers in any given situation. seem to make more 'mistakes' than others.  

So, much above 30 or 40 in those limits will eventually lead to problems.  And although the majority cruise on motorways around the 75-80 mark, it is the ones who want to barrel down the outside lane at 100mph plus while everyone scuttles out of their way, who eventually cause the problems.

Col

I don't know whether or not I have told this story, but here goes. One Christmas, after a session in a pub, three of us set out to go to a party somewhere in West Bridgford. We went in a Triumph TR2 sports car; the driver was a learner. He was accompanied by his pal, a qualified driver. On the so-called back seat we had two crates of beer. Where did I sit? on the lap of qualified driver. We drove down Arkwright Street and when we got to Turney's factory we were pulled over by a police car. The policeman came over to us and told the driver that he doing 40 mph down Arkwright Street and shone his torch on the beer crates. As he prepared to take down the driver's details I noticed that he had left his police car unattended with the door open and his engine running. I quietly told the driver that it was an offence to leave a car unattended with its engine running. When the policeman bent down to ask the driver for details, the driver said 'do you know that you have left your vehicle unattended with its engine running?' He made some lame excuse that he was allowed to do this, but we never heard anymore about it.

• Upvote 1

Back in the late 60s I along with 2 friends left a pub in Buxton after being offered a lift to a party in Glossop.

When we got in the car park we find the lift offered was in a two seat Lotus, nowt to worry about two of us sat on the boot lid with our legs dangling behind the seats.

By this time a few folks had gathered to have a decko at said sports, driver decides to make an impression and gives it some, that's two of us rolling off the boot onto the car park.

Thing was when we got out of town with no one to show off to he drove very sedately over the Cat & Fiddle.