One thing on being "retired", you don't have to plan your work day out, in just a few weeks, I'll be out mowing my fields to keep the scrub, prairie grass, saplings etc down, but unlike someone doing it for a living, I can spen an hour a day, or spend a full day outdoors as I please.

I'm starting to get my workshop sorted out to make room to set up working in there this year, not going to break into a sweat though!!! Too old for that now.

We are planning to start a small wood craft business off in the shop, plenty of scrap and recycled wood to make quality products from. BUT not 8 hours a day, and start and finish work WHEN we want to, not the clock.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After leaving school at 17, I did 2 years Orthopaedic nursing at Harlow Wood followed by 2 years General training at Leicester Royal Infirmary. After qualifying, I stayed on as a Staff Nurse at Leice

After spending most of my working life in Retail of one kind or another. I gave up the long hours of running a BeerOff for a less demanding job. I needed to earn money, so I temporarily took a "Domest

Still work a little bit. Fill in for our preacher if he is sick or on holiday. Not exactly a regular job, but exercises the brain cells (what's left of 'em) once in a while.

Brilliant 'Ayup'.......understood every word (1st time).......and love your sentiments.

My "honey do" list is as thick as Tolstoy's War and Peace Ben....LOL If I live to be 100, it won't get finished.

• Upvote 1

Here's a few of the chores I have to get done, finish this house, build a covered deck all around it, drop my tower, overhaul the Yagi antenna, dig a new hole for an antenna base closer to the house, erect a 40 foot tower, install the antenna and raise to verticle position. Cut this winters firewood, aka fell enough trees and cut to log sizes to season over the summer.

Start seedlings for the veggie garden, work on the workshop, needs lining and insulating to work there in summer, build a new chicken coop and covered chicken run, build a new doghouse, build a tankhouse, complete the solar installation....List goes on and on and on...

Think I'll go back to bed for an hour or two...LOL

No idea Roger, I don't make many plans, just gerron with what I feel like doing.....

I hate to see Mrs Plantfit working hard in the garden on a hot summers day, so I just pull the curtains too and watch the telly instead

Rog

• Upvote 5

After leaving school at 17, I did 2 years Orthopaedic nursing at Harlow Wood followed by 2 years General training at Leicester Royal Infirmary. After qualifying, I stayed on as a Staff Nurse at Leicester until our first child was born. I then tried to do some Night Nursing with a private company in people's own homes mostly, but that only lasted a few months as I was awake all night then trying to get a couple of naps in during the day when the baby fell asleep. Also, I found out from one of the patients that they paid the company £10 per night and I was being paid £3! I was a stay at home mum for the next 11 years bringing up our 3 children. After that I became a teaching assistant for hearing impaired students in a unit in the local secondary school and stayed there for nearly 30 years, and for part of that time we also fostered 'hard to place' teenagers. Looking back, I'm not sure how I managed! Since retiring from paid work 6 years ago, I do a lot of work in our local Baptist Church, teach English to a Hungarian lady and look after the 2 youngest grandchildren 2 - 3 days a week. I never seem to have a lot of spare time but time goes faster as you get older doesn't it!!

• Upvote 7

So you've got a clapped out Imprezza and live in Bulwell then Malcolm !!!!!!!! LOL

• Upvote 1

How right you are Karlton, one afternoon I told a boss to "Stick" his job, started a better job the next day !

The days when we had the upper hand catfan,

• Upvote 1

Here's a few of the chores I have to get done, finish this house, build a covered deck all around it, drop my tower, overhaul the Yagi antenna, dig a new hole for an antenna base closer to the house, erect a 40 foot tower, install the antenna and raise to verticle position. Cut this winters firewood, aka fell enough trees and cut to log sizes to season over the summer.

Start seedlings for the veggie garden, work on the workshop, needs lining and insulating to work there in summer, build a new chicken coop and covered chicken run, build a new doghouse, build a tankhouse, complete the solar installation....List goes on and on and on...

Think I'll go back to bed for an hour or two...LOL

I wonder where the sweeping brush is.

I'm even chief cook and bottlewasher, just done three loads of washing and hung them out in the sun to dry.

I'm nearly 62 & still working as hard as ever. I remember thinking a few years ago "I'll be able to claim 'pension credit' when I'm 60 & tell em to stuff their job!" Of course they've put the the qualifying age up for P.C. so I cant get it now till I'm 64. Ah well looks like I've still got to work then..

• Upvote 1

Don't worry Steve, you'll be working harder and longer hours when you retire, as the saying goes, I wonder where I found time to work for a living...

• Upvote 4

I bet they were loooooong to dealing with the public. I remember my first foreman at the EMEB said. "The public are a bunch of (bad word)s. Do your work and keep your mouth shut. They are just looking for some excuse not to pay! I did exactly that. :-)))

• Upvote 1

So you was a "Dragon" then Blondie ! :jumping:

Oh yeah !!!!! :ninja:

• Upvote 1

I don't so much see myself as old, but Older than or Younger than.

Jobs? Here goes. From age of 16, Lab technician, Bus Conductor, Bus Driver, Milkman, Window cleaner, Railway carriage cleaner, railway shunter, railway supervisor, PA, Kitchen assistant.

Not to mention family chauffeur, family gardener, family cook, family dogsbody and gofor. Where do I find time to sleep?

• Upvote 2

#42 colly0410,

I just managed to scrape in & claim pension credit at 62 and a quarter. Mrs Catfan missed out tho, now 60 yrs her retirement age is 66 & no bus pass untill then.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Did you say D-E-A-L-I-N-G ???????????????

Dealing in PIANOS rather than doing extensive restoration WORK on pianos I meant.

• Upvote 1