What was yer last job before retiring or being unable to work.

I finally finished work at an old peoples home in the kitchens and lucky enough keep in work from the age of fifteen up until then. So my last job was Kitchen assistant

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After leaving school at 17, I did 2 years Orthopaedic nursing at Harlow Wood followed by 2 years General training at Leicester Royal Infirmary. After qualifying, I stayed on as a Staff Nurse at Leice

After spending most of my working life in Retail of one kind or another. I gave up the long hours of running a BeerOff for a less demanding job. I needed to earn money, so I temporarily took a "Domest

Still work a little bit. Fill in for our preacher if he is sick or on holiday. Not exactly a regular job, but exercises the brain cells (what's left of 'em) once in a while.

That's strange my last job was more or less the same I was called a domestic assistant I did some kitchen work & did some cleaning.

Left under a cloud in September 2005.

Unemployed till February 2009 when I took pension credits.

Been a "proper" pensioner since February last year

And life is generally good. hellothere

• Upvote 3

After spending most of my working life in Retail of one kind or another. I gave up the long hours of running a BeerOff for a less demanding job. I needed to earn money, so I temporarily took a "Domestic Assistant" job in our Local Hospice.

I loved every minute and ended up staying there for 13yrs until I retired at 61yrs. So my last job was Domestic Assistant I was affectionately known by all, as "Super Mop". :biggrin:

• Upvote 5

HGV driver, retiring at 62 due to health problems.

Time served motor mechanic, then HGV driver then Bus driver followed by more HGV driving.

I loved the job until the last 5 years, then I hated every second of it.

• Like 1

Hi gang, worked on tunnels and heavy constrution. Last job restoring 19th century workhouse, old "arfur itis" kicked in. Knees banjaxed as well. Worked in Island St. Standen homes.Gerards. Camelot club. Pylon painter- you name it ........

Colliery Electrician, but been semi retired since 1989 when we came stateside. Wife kept me, but I worked on a house we owned and renovated it, then we moved to the foothills of the Sierras where I became a goat breeder.

Gave that up when we moved to Missouri, where I helped the missus in her real estate business on and off.

I left school at 15 and went to work at Baker And Plumb ....clerical assistant...3 Years

2) Then moved to Elastic Yarns....Yarn Buyer...10 Years..made redundant

3) Then moved Entex Springs....Engineering Buyer...37 Years

Total 50 years 3 jobs and never out of work.

• Upvote 4

In my last position , I was :

Senior buyer

Chief merchandiser

Warehouse operative

Chief cashier

Bookkeeper

Head of IT

In charge of HR

Unpaid collector of taxes for HM Government

Head of security

Cleaner

General sludgebum etc etc

OK I did all those jobs when I ran a small high street shop (until the recession caught up with me !)

• Upvote 2

Electrician for years. Then into the ministry, officially retired from there. Moved to the US and went to work for an elderly guy in a cell phone store. He retired and we bought the store from him. Owned it for several years but decided retire some eight years ago and sold the store. Don't miss it. Had a good life all things considered, no complaints.

• Upvote 2

Sent by British Airways to Abu Dhabi, UAE in 1981 to open the new airport for a one year assignment and never left (not literally but have always lived in there).

Have had own company for nearly 20 years providing support to (mainly) UK companies that want to establish here.

Planned to be semi retired (the job lends itself to that) but have been on overtime ever since making that decision!

• Upvote 1

Special projects manager/coordinator for a large home automation sunscreen and awning company in Perth WA. for 10 years.

Retired in 2002 at due to health issues, plus the stress of the job was killing me slowly.

• Upvote 1

For many years I worked in the field of special education with a great interest in vintage and veteran cars.

Latterly I had a small business involved in the supply and manufacture of parts for vintage and veteran cars.

I still spend hours in various garages fettling and fabricating.

• Upvote 1

Sold business retired at 68...............missed it.............started again at 69...........freelance...........pick and choose now.........love it.

• Upvote 2

whooops let me please apologise to the younger nostalgians its not a good topic for you and I do realise how hard it is to get employment in this day and age. we was very lucky you could finish with a firm who ran out of work and get a job on the way home. so much different today, please accept my apologies.

• Upvote 4

It would be interesting to know how many Nottstalgians (or at least the regular / frequent contributors) are still working in any way. The very nature of the forum - reminiscing about the past - means that most people are going to be at least slightly old (putting it politely).

• Upvote 4

It would be interesting to know how many Nottstalgians (or at least the regular / frequent contributors) are still working in any way. The very nature of the forum - reminiscing about the past - means that most people are going to be at least slightly old (putting it politely).

You speak for yourself Pal !

Only joking hellothere

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My last job was at a GP's Surgery in Sherwood, did secretarial work all my working life since leaving school at 16 in 1961.........Always had a job except when I had my daugher and it was the norm to stay at home then until the child started school....................Also had a bash at being self employed with im indoors.........I always managed to get the job that I wanted as there was always work around, I retired at 60, have a pension and love being at home and pleasing myself, I feel as though I have done my bit.........I couldn't work now even if I wanted to, due to health reasons, have my grandchildren though 2 days a week as it helps my daughter out with Nursery Fees......................I feel so sorry for people today who want work and cannot get any, it must be soul destroying for them.......

• Upvote 4

I'm not old ...Just because I knew when the Morris dancers were called 'Morris and His Mate'

I'm old will be 70 in September, although I do not feel it........not working anymore though........