Advice Required from Nottsalgians

Ivor be spending a couple of nights in Nottingham shortly but hasn't visited since the early eighties.

Any advice on where to stay in the City Centre?

Prefer a pub or something with bit of character as opposed to a modern hotel.

Any ideas?

Just a little word from a Nottstalgian who has stayed in the "City Center" for our Meetups. We generally stay at the Ibis on Fletcher Gate. We found staying in the central area great mid week. Not much noise around. Great to be so close to all the fun.

Be prepared if you are thinking of staying Fri to Mon as Nottingham comes even more alive and stays like it all through the night. It sounds like the whole world is having a Fantastic party in Nottm. Because of sleep problems we would never stay central again at weekends. It would have been different thirty years ago, we would have been out there with them.

Good luck in your search. Some of the Nottstalgians still living in Nottingham, might be able to help you, that is how we found the Ibis. I hope you have a great visit.

• Upvote 2

Ivor I have been looking on Trip Advisor and it looks like the only hotel with " character " would be the following.http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186356-d314448-Reviews-The_Walton_Hotel_Restaurant-Nottingham_Nottinghamshire_England.html

Most of the other city centre hotels are " modern"

• Upvote 2

Thank you both Carni and Dave.

I think I will give the Ibis a go for convenience. The Walton is not giving any discounted rates although Dave, it looks great and thanks for finding it for me.

I'll report back on how the trip was.

Have already spoken to Richard Neale to sample the "new" Shippos...

• Upvote 1

The ibis is bad!! On my visits to Nottm i've seen it packed with hen parties- peolpe smoking outside in dressing gowns!! Try a boutique hotel on Weekday cross . The Premier Inn on Goldsmith St is comfy and cheap- if you book in good time: ask for a rear room; the tram " ding ding" drives you nuts. A room ,say facing Chaucer St is quiet and you won't hear those students boozing dads money!!

On a couple of occasions recently my work has taken me to Nottingham, at Phoenix Park. They book me in at the Premier Inn there. It is just over the road from the Phoenix Park tram stop. Trams to the city centre run until about midnight. The hotel is modern but the staff are brilliant, so friendly and helpful. The location is quiet for an excellent night's sleep. Slept like the dead. Good car parking and very easy access from the M1. I hope this helps.

re #5

We have stayed at the Ibis Hotel, Fletcher Gate 6 times in the last two years. Our son and partner have had two 7day Holidays plus 1 Mon to fri with his partners parents in the last 12months and have another week booked in May.

They and us have been more than satisfied with The Ibis. My husband and I did have a problem with noise on our Friday night stay. That was people enjoying themselves out on the town, nothing to do with Clientele of the Hotel. I have never seen Stag or Hen parties staying at the hotel, but we are mainly there mid week. I am sure if there is ever a problem when our son is there, we will soon be told.

The only reason we stay at the Best Westminster sometimes, instead of the Ibis is the extra £10 a night for the carpark.

Sorry you weren't happy with the Ibis. I can only speak from our personal experience.

Ivor

The premier inn at Phoenix park is in for a mention. So is the Hucknall version. Equally handy.

As for staggering distance from the centre, but a little shabby, but comfortable and clean, is the Strathdon on Derby Road just a little way up from the big roundabout joining Maid Marian Way, Parliament Street, Wollaton St and Derby Road. Its very reasonable. I often need an overnight stay in Nottingham on my travels and I usually pay around £30 for one night.

Can't help Ivor, I always lob up to my rellies, unannounced sometimes ! love the sight on their faces when I knock on the door and ask if they've got the kettle on.

Last trip was pre organised though so my bedroom was all set up for me like a B&B, tv and all.

I've always got a fall back too at an old mates place in Yorkshire where I can rock up and be made most welcome anytime, we now regularly speak by email after losing contact for many years.

#11 A little advice about the Gateway, it used to be notorious for car vandalism and theft, though they did do a good carvery.

We found if you stayed in the city centre, you had to pay to park in an NCP car park overnight. But stay out of town and parking was free in their own car park. Bestwood Lodge was our favourite.