Can anyone remember "Nelson Squares" cakes which were a square slab with sweet pastry in a sandwitch form. In between was a current or Date type filling.
Stodgy but delicious! What appenned to em?

• 8 years later...

Can anyone remember "Nelson Squares" cakes which were a square slab with sweet pastry in a sandwitch form. In between was a current or Date type filling.

Stodgy but delicious! What appenned to em?

I remember them in the 50s we use to get them from marshalls bakery staion rd carlton. in fact they was oblong and I was led to believe the centre was made of rich currant cake similar to the inside of a christmas cake. never seen one since Mick they would have cost about tuppence in them days.

• Upvote 1

What the bleddy 'ell is that? :huh:

Back to the thread, even if it is old, I was very partial to Nelson Squares when I was a kid, although they seemed to have disappeared by the eighties.

I see the recipe is available on t'interweb, so I've found a little job for my resident pastry-cook!

Look at all of the other recipes in the Link on #9. ( some really great old fashioned recipes to try Cheap anawl)

The Ginger Beer Plant

How many of you can remember Bottles of Dads exploding Ginger Beer in the Pantry. A regular event in our house, much to Mams dismay. :biggrin:

I think the recipe just called for bread or cake crumbs, nothing about them being out of date.

It could have been an EU directive though, the French and Spanish complained about the name, all because they lost the Battle of Trafalgar.

So perhaps we should have called them Trafalgar Squares? (and beware of the pigeons!) Yes - I remember them. I think my mum used to make them sometimes - also using stale cake as the filling. I was never a great fan though, because I didn't like currants in them days. They were heavy and stodgy - giving rise to comments about taking them down to Hanley Street ! (Go figure...)

Marshalls on station road Carlton made them oblong as I said in in my previous post, perhaps he had Nelson's columb in mind if he had stuck to the dimension you'd need a bleddy big gob to digest it and a pocket full o' brass.

• 2 weeks later...

Nelson slices we called them when I was at school in Southwell; Gadsby's bakers van used to call round at morning break time selling all sorts of stuff that would probably give the health inspectors a cardiac arrest if it were to happen these days.

Nelson Squares and I think also known as "Blockbusters" were sold in the Empire Café on Foreman Street opposite the Evening Post offices. A blockbuster and a tea cost 6d in the mid 1960s.