We were talking about cinemas on another thread and the old Regal in Carlton came up. My dad used to take me there to see quite a few sc-fi films when I was a kid, they sometimes scared me. One in particular I remember was, "Devil Girl from Mars." Out of curiosity I looked for it on Youtube and there it was. It sure looked corny now. Found myself laughing quite a bit. So I thought, what were some of your favorites, corny or not doesn't matter?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always enjoy anything with Laurel and Hardy in it, but now we are really going back a bit. Often think they were funniest in their silent days.

I was always at the Globe, near Trent Bridge, and the Dale cinema, on Sneinton Dale, when I was a kid. In my adult life I've watched very few films but have enjoyed all of them. Saturday Night and Sun

#5 well thats probably the end of this topic,very few left to mention. lol.

As a kid, most things with Jack Hawkins in such as The Malta Story, Bridge on The River Kwai, Gideons Day etc. Another which sticks in my memory, but not with Jack Hawkins, Kid For Two Farthings with David Kossoff, I can still play the theme song in my head!

Favourite movie Errol Flynn,(a real star), Olivia de Havilland, Basil Rathbone & Claude Rains, 1938 Robin Hood, absolutely fanbloodytastic.

The Quiet Man,

The Searchers,

The Cruel Sea,

Angels With Dirty Faces,

The Big Sleep ( I'm a big film noir fan )

White Heat,

The Lost Weekend,

The Lady Killers,

I could go on all night........

No Dave, it was a British film, took place in the East End about a kid who acquired a Kid goat and was convinced it was a Unicorn. ( or summat like that!)

David Kossoff starred and I think I remember Diane Dors being in it. Good film.

I've just got hold of a DVD, 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' which was awarded two Golden Turkeys. One for the worst film ever made and one for the worst director ever; terrific fun; and another more recent film was made, 'Ed Wood', about the director himself, starring Johnny Depp. Martin Landau got an Oscar for playing Bela Lugosi who died during the making of 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' Ed Wood replaced him with his personal chiropractor. All a bit confusing!

I was always at the Globe, near Trent Bridge, and the Dale cinema, on Sneinton Dale, when I was a kid. In my adult life I've watched very few films but have enjoyed all of them. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, On The Waterfront with Marlon Brando, The Green Mile, Love Me Tender and Jailhouse Rock with Elvis Presley. I can remember taking all my kids, including my foster kids, to see Star Wars. I'd been delayed getting back from a trip to Switzerland and virtually got home and straight back out again to the cinema. I fell asleep in the cinema and there was a scene in the film where there was a really loud bang or crash or something. It woke me up with a start and I shouted out, 'aaaahhhhh.' Well, the kids were in hysterics with laughter and so was half the audience. I pulled my collar up and slunk down in my seat with embarrassment..haha.

• Upvote 4

Really liked "Summer Holiday" - well you said the films could be corny! Loved all the Elvis films but more for the music/songs rather than the plots, which were really predictable. I particularly liked the first Jaws film and thought that had the right mix of suspense and shock, also it was funny in parts - "We're going to need a bigger boat" and the conversation before the attack about who had the worst scars. I like watching films where I have already read the book - 'Lord of the Rings,' 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' which is definitely not just for children! 'The Life of Pi ' to name just a few. Just remembered I liked 'Spartacus' as well and, more recently, Avatar

• Upvote 1

When i think of or see some old films it reminds me of the people i went with to see em,

Mam and Dad,old school mates and old Girl friends,........all great times.

As a little kid my mum took me to the Palace cinema on Beeston high street to see Kenneth More in 'Reach for the Sky',the first 'grown up'movie I saw.

It was usually a Norman Wisdom movie,very popular at the time,mid to late 50s,and of course the 'Carry On' movies.

Just a few!! Accident- hue and cry- kes- junior bonner- paris texas- the blue lamp- the wooden horse- the guttersnipe- up the junction- i start counting- bunny lake is missing- the conversation- anderson tapes and lastly Frankenhiemers The Train.