Watmough sweet shops

I mentioned this before in another thread.

My mum used to work in the Watmoughs that was on Goldsmith Street by the side of the Theatre Royal (just next to Jack Brentnall's guitar shop).

She remembers Jimi Hendrix coming in for a packet of fags after his sound check - Dec '67 I think.

(He smoked Benson and Hedges apparently).

They were tiny shops. Just the serving bit and a storeroom cellar below.

There were some nice tuffies around at that time. They don't seem so nice these days - and I'm sure that's not just my memory playing tricks !

Ta,Barclaycon: i remember Merry sweets from the shop next door to theatre royal,and ice cream suckers from the shop on Goldsmith St-next to indian restaurant ; facing gaumont blue exit doors. Did'nt know there was one out of town

E Watmough & co Ltd

Paddock Street Nottingham

55 Carrington Street

4 & 5 Empire Quadrant

21a Parliament Street

71a Upper Parliament Street

6a Goldsmith Street

51 Goosegate

43 Bridlesmith Gate

82-84 Waterdown Road, Clifton

Blairs directory of Nottingham 1967

I think Poohbear is well up on Watmough's if my memory is right.

No more than anybody else really...In early directories they appear in various locations in the town..Before WW1 they had two on Wheeler Gate.Even Barnetts had a couple of retail shops in the early days...but not for long...concentrating on manufacturing.

Out of all the sweet manufacturers around Nottingham,Watmoughs had the most retail outlets.Their best known being the one outside the Theatre Royal..

I have no directories between 1950 & 1967 & in 1950 Watmough's only had 3 shops, other shops mentioned in this thread must have opened & closed between1950 & 1967.

In answer to your question Commo I have 20 directories starting at 1832.

One small point the shop pictured in #8 may not have been a Watmough's shop(looked like a newsagents) & the sign above the door could have been an advert. ?

Over the years Watmoughs opened and closed shops obviously seeking the best trading positions...Wrights Directory 1910/11 gives their shops as...

10,Exchange Walk/ 59,Carrington Street/ 24 Wheeler Gate/ 3 South Sherwood Street and The Empire Quadrant (Theatre Royal)