Watmough sweet shops

Just a quick look at some of my records; Watmough's

1963 trading at Paddock Street, Nottm

1976 trading at 14 Broad Street

82 Waterdown Road, Clifton

236 Beckhampton Road, Bestwood Park

23 Cherry Orchard Mount, Beatwood Park

74 Recreation Road, Shirebrook

Went through my directories earlier & the earliest reference to Watmough's is 1891

I've found them trading in 1885 on Carrington Street,and a Miss Caroline Watmough listed seperately as a confectioner on Trent Street.

• 1 year later...

In  1961  when I was 15 I was a drivers m8 at Crawfords Biscuits in the railway yard just over the canal bridge on Wilford rd,  when they joined United Biscuits in 1963  all us m8s were made redundant  but  Poo Bear also worked there he not thank me for telling you, so any way a few years later I  took a job  with Watmoughs on Paddock st I drove an old Thame Trader  delivering lollipops and confectionery all over the country  while I was there they had shops near the Theatre Royal one on Parliament st and one at Clifton the manager was a perfectionist  and a wally I forget his name but he really got on  my nerves    they eventually sacked me for blowing the engine up while delivering in Northhamptonshire,, a few years later I was driving for Cadburys from their Ilkeston base and had to deliver to Watmoughs when they had moved to Lenton the look on that managers face when he seen me  was a picture when i said i aint taking no shit of you matey,  in my early driving career I also drove for Rowntrees  Mars and Nestles  and that could explain while I am now a fat old bxxxxrd with no teeth lol  PS the shop near the Theatre was a real problem as I had to carry the goods upstairs to the store room  and a shite of a traffic warden did me because I was  long time delivering  I gave the ticket to old man Watmough I dunno if he paid it, happy days  wish I could go back

cadburys 1969.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

my mum worked for them, She was trained as a Comptometer operator (remember them?) but ended up doing all their wages, tax etc.

She got me a job on the stall they ran at the Forest ground every match day. The local constabulary used to help me to set up the stall (usually in return for a couple of bags of army and navy sweets) before lining up for their inspector's briefing. Now, I'm no midget (5' 11 in old money) but not one of these blokes were below 6' 5 or so.

Mum also got me a Christmas job in the warehouse (on Willoughby street, I think)

It was chaotic, and the manager was a bit, well "dour" shall we say, but the lads were the right side of a laugh. They let me loose on a machine that shrink wrapped the delicate cases of chocolate. Some of you retired newsagents may remember a year when your  Christmas deliveries arrived looking like a cling-filmed Pharoah. I offer my apologies. 

• Like 5
  • 4 months later...

You might have seen I have posted about my father who was a lithographic artists for Stafford's the printers before the war. He became  a long distance lorry driver during the war but just afterward was a driver for Whatmough's. I am trying to write his story. I think he delivered in Nottingham but also further afield. Did Whatmough's make sweets as well as having shops.

There are umpteen adverts for staff in the old EPs  . As well as being wholesalers and retailers , judging by this advert from 1944 , they must have made their own sweets too as Phil says above . 

BOYS, YOUTHS WANTED. BOY for Sugar -boiling dept., age between 14—16. — E. Watmough and Co., Ltd., Paddock-street Works, off Greyfriar-gate, Nottingham.