Back to the 50's

There’s a new series starts tonight on BBC 2 8pm called “Back in Time For Dinner”.
It takes a family back to the 50’s tonight to experience life and cooking including a diet of dried eggs, dripping and liver prepared in a very basic kitchen.

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo of me and my Grandma circa 1950

Liver and onions? I hated it when I was a child but can't get enough now. Meals in the fifties? Stew, egg and chips, sausage and mash, anything my mum could get cheap. And sweets were still ration

Banjo, my thoughts almost exactly. But I have been left there even longer - we stopped coming up to Nottingham regularly when my elderly parents finally moved to live with us in East Anglia in 1981.

Occasionally, I fancy something simple like liver and onions or toast and dripping. Unfortunately, SWMBO, who incidentally was brought up in Lancashire clogs, cow udder, pigs feet and hand-me-downs, thinks such food is inedible so I have no-one to share the treat with.

• Upvote 3

Liver & Onions? Yummy!

We have it at least once a week, using the Hairy Bikers recipe, and served with mash and greens.

In a way, I'm glad it's not popular. That's why you can get half a kilo of it for about £1.

• Upvote 4

What kind of liver do you get for £1 per kilo? Wish we could get it as cheap as that from our butcher!

I enjoy offal too. I once tried pigs trotters in Portugal and pigs ears at a local pub here in Norfolk. Both very tasty and before anyone asks, there was no crackling in the ears. I understand sheep's eyes are good but I've never tried them; I suppose they'd see you through the day.

• Upvote 3

My mum used to cook tripe for my dad. She cooked it in milk. I never tried it because of the texture - it looked slimy!

I was a very fussy eater when I was little, probably because the meat was never very good so soon after the war. We never got to see the best cuts. But I didn't like vegetables either and my Sunday dinner was usually mashed potatoes and gravy or gravy mopped up with bread. I still like the latter even now! I didn't really start eating properly until I was in my mid teens. Doesn't seem to have done me much harm as I'm healthy apart from a few mild aches and pains and the usual limitations associated with getting older.

Back to the subject of offal........ I love liver, but not very fond of heart and kidney - by the time you've removed all the tubes (yuk) there's not a lot left

• Upvote 1

Margie,

My dad loved tripe and onions, the smell alone would make me heave. He also enjoyed pigs trotters. Just like you I enjoy mopping up the gravy with bread especially if the gravy has been made with the roast juices and proper gravy salt. yummy, yum

• Upvote 1

Bread and gravy for dinner tonight then! Actually we're having fish, so perhaps not....

Liver and onions? I hated it when I was a child but can't get enough now. Meals in the fifties? Stew, egg and chips, sausage and mash, anything my mum could get cheap. And sweets were still rationed when I was born. How cruel was that?

Fifties were great. We had parents who were strict but taught us to be independent. The war had not long finished so anything dangerous was nothing by comparison. We were taught to deal with (and live with) danger, not to hide from it. We had more freedom. I was cycling from Bilborough to Stapleford and Long Eaton before I was ten. We had all the childhood illnesses without all the fuss, then returned to school. We had respect for teachers, neighbours, property, parents, policemen and also had manners. We stood up on a crowded bus for adults, and didn't 'F' it blind at everyone. Yes we were naughty, but certainly not wicked. We played outside and either walked or cycled everywhere. Not everything was good, but we had to accept it.

• Upvote 9