Back to the 50's

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo of me and my Grandma circa 1950

Liver and onions? I hated it when I was a child but can't get enough now. Meals in the fifties? Stew, egg and chips, sausage and mash, anything my mum could get cheap. And sweets were still ration

Banjo, my thoughts almost exactly. But I have been left there even longer - we stopped coming up to Nottingham regularly when my elderly parents finally moved to live with us in East Anglia in 1981.

When I was growing up I had 4 uncles and 2 aunties who were born in the 1890s, also one grandma, who was born in the 1870s. The last auntie died when I was about 24.

Scary isn't it, that I knew someone (my grandma) who was born nearly 145 years ago!!

Thanks for that thought, Benjamin, I'm feeling OLD now! My kids would say: "But Mum you ARE old...."

• Upvote 1

I guess my paternal grandfather was the earliest-born person that I actually knew. He was born in Burnley in 1879, and lived until 1965. I was the first of his four grandchildren, and he was nearly 70 when I was born. My grandma (his wife) was born in Nottingham in 1890, and died in 1956. My maternal grandfather, who I never knew, was born Nottingham 1891 and died in 1942. And finally, his wife (who I knew best of the four, because she lived with us) was born 1897 in South Elmsall, Yorkshire, and died in 1975.

Recently I have gathered together a computer file containing photos of five generations of Fords - granddad, dad, myself, son, and grandson. As an interesting coincidence, three successive generations have produced two children - a boy followed by a girl.

• Upvote 1

My paternal grandparent's were born in 1886 and 1887, in Derbyshire, both died in 1974...............they had 4 children and my dad was the youngest who was born in 1921...........he died in 1986..............My grandma was in her 60's before she saw the sea..........

My maternal grandparent's were born in 1886 and 1888 also on the Derbyshire/Notts border...........Incidently it would have been my maternal grandma's birthday today, 14th April 1888, she died in 1960 aged 72 and grandad died in 1977 aged 91, they had 6 children............my mother was born in 1920 and died in 2003............

I can remember them as if it was yesterday, they were lovelly grandparent's who grew up in lean times, worked hard yet never had much, but always seemed to be happy, loving, caring and never complained.................

• Upvote 4

My paternal grandfather was born in 1872 in Norfolk, then he moved to London, then Yorkshire and then his work finally took him to Nottingham in 1903. He died in 1955. I was very young but I do remember him. It took me until 1982 to find out from the 1882 census that he was born in Norfolk. My dad did not talk about him very much. When I look back I wish I had asked more questions about the times they lived in. This is why I am keeping records for our son and future generations.

In the 1990s programme tonight the bit about CJD and mad cow disease brought back memories. We stopped eating beef. At the time they were showing the sick cattle and reporting on people with CJD I was feeling unwell: very light headed and dizzy. The doctor explained that I had an ear infection, told me not to drive and gave me sea sickness tablets to sort out my balance. What a relief! Our young son went to a friend's party and when asked what he would like to eat he chose hamburger thinking this was made of ham not beef. When he realised later what he had eaten he came and told me. I told him not to worry as it was well cooked! I had no wish to frighten him. We now seem to live in an age of food scares.

• Upvote 1

All grandparents on both sides born in the 1890s. I may have mentioned before I recorded a video of myself talking about all I remember from my earliest years to the present. I Put in, slides and photos to try to make it interesting. Maybe one day some, as yet, unborn great great grandchildren may watch it if they can find anything to play it on.

Ian, I'll have to take photos of the photographs I've got, then try to put them on here.

Do I have to do it via photobucket or can I copy and paste straight from 'photos' on this iPad? Can someone reply please?

What kind of liver do you get for £1 per kilo? Wish we could get it as cheap as that from our butcher!

Liver is cheap at Asda........all kinds too.....

I've been trying on and off for ages and still can't manage to put any photos from photobucket on to here although I've read various instructions on the 'help' forum. Pity as I've found a lovely little photo of me and my grandma circa 1950. Never mind....

The photo was taken when Grandma was in Ashley Grove Nursing Home in Worksop. I presume that place is no longer there? It used to have lovely grounds which I used to explore when visiting got a bit boring for a 7 year old

Wish I was still photogenic! I dislike most photos of me now [probably because they show what I actually look like and not what I THINK I look like, or WOULD LIKE to look like!] Does that make sense? Strangely, I don't mind seeing myself on video. Not that it matters much anyway - we are who we are and the real person is not the outward appearance. Please someone agree with me....

• Upvote 4

Karlton, I might make a good replacement for Dot Cotton if she ever leaves Eastenders!