I believe the last Solar Eclipse occurred around midday on 11th August 1999. It was my friend's 50th Birthday and we delayed going out for lunch so we could sit in our garden and observe how the birds reacted. It was amazing, there was complete silence for a few minutes.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I tried using a colander to view the eclipse. I think I've strained my eyes.

The missus always goes overkill. She's bought me this today, in case I'm sent out to do the bins during the 'event'...

You might have heard there will be a solar eclipse this Friday morning, the first for sixteen years. Already the Health and Safety brigade are out. Because it will occur during the morning rush hour,

Melissa, no its not sad at all. Even if the clouds set in, it will noticeably go dark and the temperature will fall markedly after a few minutes, then heat up again as rapidly when the eclipse ends. . Its a weird experience, and quite unlike a normal sunrise.

If you do get chance to watch it, its a wonderful experience. I will have my telescope out and tracking it . Of course I will be using it with a solar filter.

• Upvote 2

And don't forget to check to see if the northern lights are visible!! Should be a good light show the next few nights.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad I found this thread, eclipses are interesting and one which coincides with a solar blast may mean the end of the world as we know it, the colours and thunder in the sky will make our exit the one that all the other beings in the solar system will envy, I will watch the sun through very dark glasses as I want to see what comes next. Maybe a tram. Or an England cricket win. or the electric oven going dead since the countrywide solar panels will stop for ten minutes. Those of us that survive will have to get used to wearing short leather skirts and eating half cooked food washed down with dirty brown watery stuff .

• Upvote 4

Believe it or not there are warnings going out to the European countries that use a lot of solar power that power cuts could be a real possibility, My A*se!! the bloody thing isn't going to last all day, typical EU.

I think we could be in luck in Essex, cloudy in a band across the middle of the country they reckon. I remember in 1999 lots of my pals descended on Cornwall to see the full eclipse, it rained, they saw nowt, it wasn't a full do here but pretty impressive all the same, very surreal.

Looking at the current weather forecast, Nottingham will see it, Essex won't, it's going to be only an 85% eclipse too, I'm not sure what it was in our two areas in 1999.

I also see that our National Grid are whingeing that power supplies in this country could be affected, well it might be for those who can afford solar panels on their houses, otherwise they're clearly covering their backsides, as usual.

I shall be working outside in the garden centre at our local B & Q during the eclipse, should I set up artificial lighting in case the plants wither up and die.

I saw the last one and hope to see this one....................

Just looks a bit overcast here! Loads of cloud cover anyway so can't even see the sun!

• Upvote 1

It was nothing spectacular really, but the birds went silent for two minutes.

11083663_10153282184218641_8444073771462

got a similar picture in Annesley , it was a bit of an anti climax never seemed to go dark here

• Upvote 2