Andy Fraser RIP

The brilliant bass guitarist and songwriter Andy Fraser ex member of John Mayalls Bluesbreakers and then Free died at his home in California. Peace at last Andy.

Songs of Yesterday, and Trouble on Double Time were two of my favourites.

I saw Fraser play live twice. The first time was at the Portsmouth Guildhall back in 1970 when he was with Free. They were dreadful, smacked out of their heads and only keeping upright by leaning against their speaker stacks with Rodgers mumbling his way through their repertoire, mind you the audience were just as bad, we were compos mentis, the pre-concert pints of Brickwoods didn't have the same effect.

The next time I saw him was at Nottingham Uni in 1973 when he was playing with Sharks, a really great, underrated band fronted by the brilliant Chris Spedding, I don't know what happened to them but Fraser's bass playing coupled with Spedding's guitar virtuoso were a great combination.

I last saw Andy Fraser doing an interview on Breakfast Television not so long ago, he came across as being a bit strange to the point where I felt sorry for the poor bloke, another great talent lost due to self indulgence no doubt, George Michael take note.

RIP Andy.

• Upvote 1

Chris Spedding is still playing. He's been touring with War of the Worlds for ages.

I saw him at the Arena a couple of years ago. A brilliant guitarist.

Strange, if you look up 'Songs written or co-written by Andy Fraser' on Wikipedia it only lists four, that can't be right as he gets most of the credits along with Paul Rodgers for the first five Free albums, I've only got one, the second album 'Free' released in 1969, mines an original vinyl bought then, still in pretty good condition too I might give it a blast 'Alright Now'.