I always thought the interesting thing about the Archers was how they were reincarnated. Walter Gabriel, he of the gravelly voice, snuffed it but soon turned up again. Harry Oaks, Dan Archer, arose in similar vain. I don't know if they are still more or less immortal. I wonder if they're all Buddhists.

The tune for Down Your Way is Horse Guards - Whitehall; composed by Haydn Wood. The image below is from the 2 CD set of such tunes for radio and TV. It gives the names of the tunes and the programmes that they were played on. You might have to expand the image to read the small print.

Radio%20amp%20TV%20tunes_zpss372ihdd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Great news for those of us who were brung up in the 1940s and 1950s - Paul Temple is back on the wireless - yeeeaaahhh!!

Beginning tomorrow, Monday the 14th through to Friday on BBC Radio 4 Extra. It will be broadcast four times a day - 6.00, 13.00, 20.00 and 1.00. The title of the series is Paul Temple and the Gilbert Case, first broadcast in 1954.

For the film buffs, a couple of good 'uns on next Saturday morning/afternoon. At 8.35 am Forbidden Planet, one of the early sci-fi films; and at 2.20 in the afternoon, The Red Shoes.

I have no memory at all of Paul Temple. I suspect my Mum wouldn't have had it on. She didn't like any crime stuff.

I certainly remember the Archers. Walter Gabriel .."Oh Dear, or Lor Oh Dear Oh lor...." but mostly the fire, and the classic line: "It's Grace... she's dead" :ohmy:

And of course, Mrs Dale's Diary. "I'm worried about Jim...." :ohmy:

Cracking first episode of Paul Temple and the Gilbert Case today - full of intrigue. Still time to catch it at 8 o'clock tonight or on the iPlayer.

I always like the series of Father Brown mysteries. Good clean storylines tinged with a smattering of humour, great acting .

All in all, a fine programme