Dogs and other family pets

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

The day will come for us old codgers when our current pet outlives us. Hope we are thinking of options and hopefully arranging a new home for them when we have gone. My kids and stepkids are all dog lovers, I suppose they got it from us. So we have no shortage of takers.

Did any Nottstalgian member or their parents/friends buy a dog from Trevart Kennels in Radcliffe on Trent or, board their dog there whilst on holidays???????

For information, Trevart Kennels was owned by my parents before they sold it to the RSPCA in 1962.

• 1 month later...

Had dogs for years. Now on number four. Worry a bit about who's going to take care of him if he outlives me. My first dog taught me more about unconditional love than any human. Btw. Seem to remember another pet thread a month or two ago. Dogs rule! LOL.

• Upvote 3

I have a lovelly/beautiful black cat called Bella, aged about 13 years , she is dearly loved - has just developed tumors in her mouth and cannot eat properly. I am giving her antibiotics in her food, she senses it and leaves most of it.......It is only a matter of time before she will not be with us, weeks maybe.........As a cat lover, it will cut me up when the time comes...............It's the unconditional love...........

Sorry to read about your cat Blondie. I understand how you must feel. We have had three dogs and when each one got ill and eventually passed away, we were heart broken for a long while afterwards. I am sure Bella will have the best care that you can give her in her time of need.

• Upvote 2

Blondie, so sorry to hear that your lovely cat is ill. I know that you will love and care for her to the very end. I can empathise as we have had many cats over the years...

• Upvote 2

So sad to hear that Blondie, we have been there too many times.

Me & Mrs Catfan have mad a decision that "Monty" is our last pet, when he goes there will be no more pets here.

Apart from extortionate vet bills we have had too many heartaches over the years so have made this decision.

I know this will be hard but we aint getting any younger ourselves !

• Upvote 1

My daughter has two Rag Doll cats, one of which jumped out of a bedroom window and smashed a front paw. The vet managed to put it back together again at a cost of £6000.00 +, thankfully paid for by insurance. It took 3 weeks of coming and going on a 30 mile round trip before she was home again and has made a complete recovery. It was all as traumatic as most other things I've known.

• Upvote 4

Blondie. So sorry to hear of your cat's health problems. The hardest part of owning them, in my experience, has been saying goodbye to them. Enjoy the days she still has with you as much as you can. I know the thoughts of all the pet lovers here are with you.

• Upvote 2

Our poor old border collie cross, Jess, has "Canine vestibular syndrome" - the vet translated that as "dog labyrinthitis". She became very restless last Wednesday morning, then started walking round in circles anti-clockwise, and panting. Her eyes were flicking sideways uncontrollably. She is getting much better now, although she has developed a head-tilt to the right, and is very wobbly on her legs. (She tried to shake herself yesterday and fell down in a heap). The vet reckons it is not serious, and she will probably make a good recovery - possibly with a permanent head-tilt. But she is eating again, and seems quite contented - although walking seems a bit of a chore for her at the moment.

• Upvote 4

Catfan, I know you say there will be no more new cats at your house but what will you do if a sad little waif and stray arrives on your doorstep and looks up at you - you know the look I mean!

• Upvote 2

I fell for that look...............

Marmite(yes a Black cat) has been with for three years now.

She just turned up one cold rainy day in our outhouse(hole in bottom of door)

• Upvote 2

Marmite obviously chose the right place to shelter. Wonder how cats know where an an animal lover lives ...

• Upvote 3