Dogs and other family pets

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

Samson the cat turned up with another steak this morning. We are trying to work out where they come from. Could they be poisoned for the foxes? He does not eat them and shows no signs of distress. They may have been raided from the local pubs' bin. I will have a walk over to see if the bins are secure.

Not sure if it's a mule or not Katy, I thought it might have been a "Hinney" stallion horse bred with a female donkey, A "Jenny" is the other way round,Female horse bred with a male donkey, it does look a fine animal though

Rog

• Like 1

Are mules sterile? (Don't mean clean enough to eat your dinner off btw ... I mean unable to breed!)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, katyjay said:

Those big tabs gave it away, I have looked at a set of those for 8 hours down into and up out of the Grand Canyon. 

does it take longer for the descent than for the return climb?

• 2 weeks later...

Having just moved to this area to be with my sister we found a really nice place to walk my 2 malamute/German shepherd crosses. They can be let off lead to have a sniff and play safely and there is a dog friendly pub where we can get a drink (non alcoholic) and my boys can have water. Whenever we see other people with or without dogs they are called back and put on lead. They are never out of our sight at any time. My pet hate is people who do not put their dogs on lead when they see us, sometimes saying “it’s okay he’s fine”. So are mine but isn’t it better to put your dog on a lead just in case the other dog isn’t? The other day we encountered 2 dogs who appeared to be on their own, one of them was being aggressive to our 2 dogs. The owner eventually sauntered by, called the dogs who completely ignored them and just carried on his way without a word. Most of the dog walkers we meet are really nice friendly people and we can have a chat, but this minority drive me mad!

• Like 3
On 9/3/2018 at 7:17 PM, Deepdene Boy said:

Foxes are wildlife and I accept that. Cats are domesticated and owners should take responsibility.

We have 4 cats,,who all use a litter tray,,however they still crap on neighbours gardens,,one neighbour had a right go at me about it,, .........told him i'd have a word with them,,which i did.............;)

• Like 2

Staverton girl, I agree no matter how well behaved dogs are theres always some sort of reflex in them. Years ago we had a cross pinscher. A more docile dog you could wish to meet , even the vet said he'd never known a dog so calm. Well we visited a neice in Verona and we'd just come through the gate when a pitbull came dashing towards us. The owners shouted out hes ok hes not aggresive. He sniffed around our dog and all hell let loose. I ended up with a deep cut on my hand requiring 7 sts and poor Max ended up with a punctured lung and broken ribs.The only way we could get him to let go was me trying to open his jaw ( I know it was stupid) and a nephew kicking the pitbull. So now when we are unsure of dogs we pick them up we have 3 and my daughters dog that I have when shes working.

It’s so maddening and unreasonable for dog owners not to put their animals on a lead when near other dogs (and people). Our little Jack is on a lead most of the time, unless we’re walking him in a place he can’t disappear, as he’s a terrier and has always been prone to ‘nose down and go’   He’s never been aggressive and hasn’t got a bite in him, but he’s very vocal if anyone is in or walking by his territory.  The problem is that he hates being mithered so can’t stand loose dogs bounding up to him wanting a sniff or to play.  On one occasion a great big dog was messing with him so he jumped up onto the dog’s back, to get out of the way!

Too many dog owners just cannot be bothered to control their animals. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

IMG-2902.jpg

having a job remembering how this works and under which  link it has to be.

If this comes up heres Lulu doing her bit of yoga . Keep your ears a long way from your shoulders.smile2

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My dogs are always on a lead outside my property if they aren't working. When they are working, they are too busy to think about other things and, in any case, other dogs in the area are known by them, are friendly and often try to join in.

I never take the dogs into the town. They are chiens de campagne (country dogs) and I don't think they would cope very well.

My boys are gentle giants and just want to play with every dog. Unfortunately being so big they can be a bit intimidating. The most they do is cover you with hair. 

Tried to put a picture on but can’t work out how to do it.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome staverton Girl.  The site will not accept photos directly as they take up a lot of room.  Most folks here go to post img.com.  They upload their photos to that site.  Once on postimg they click a link to the photo and then copy it into their post on NS.  Then the photo comes up on NS when we get to it.  I know it sounds a bit complicated but its not really once you try it a time or two.  We'd love to see your boys.

Oh dear managed to get photos onto post img.com but can’t work out how to transfer them. Will ask my sister to see if she can sort it out for me. Obviously a senior moment! 

Eyup Stavgel!

Open Nottstalgia and get into the reply box.

Open Postimage at the same time

Click on your image.

You should now see a "Share" button, top leftish.

Click on that and you should get a list of gobbledegook.

Click on the blue icon at the right of "Hotlink for forums" and you get a little pop-up message that says "Copied!"

Go back to your open reply and press Ctrl V. You should have then copied the link.

When you click "Submit" to post your reply, the image should appear.

Goo on, 'av a go!

• Like 1

Thanks will have a go. Am usually on iPad but will have to charge up my laptop, still in a box upstairs since I moved.