My wife went to the hospital today for a consultation with the doctor. After an examination he thought that the cancer had got slightly smaller. She goes for her third course of chemotherapy on Friday. She's been given more medication for different things and one of them was for the cramps that she's started getting in her legs. My eldest daughter had taken her to the hospital and when they returned home my wife asked her to completely remove her hair. Although she had a very short crew cut it was still coming out so it had to go. When it was finished I told her it looked nice. She said "Thank you, but it would have been nice if you hadn't said 'flippin eck' first"..lol. She looked in the mirror and said that she looked like a bowling ball with her bald head. I told her that she'd better not go bowling then to which she replied, "It'd be my luck for someone to stick their fingers up my nose and send me flying down the lane into the skittles"..lol.

• Upvote 10
  • Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a phone call from my eldest daughter who informed me that her mother-in-law was suffering from vertigo and wouldn't be able to look after my granddaughter. She asked me if I'd look after he

I took my wife to the hospital today to discuss how her CT scan had gone and I felt like crying, with happiness. She was told that there was no sign of any cancer and that they seem to have caught it

My wife has been feeling unwell and unsteady on her legs so she had to go to the hospital for some tests. It was found that her blood platelets were low but just higher than the level where she'd need

At 1930 tonight we were sat having our dinner and my wife and I were discussing her chemotherapy, which is tomorrow (Friday). The phone rang but, as we were eating we let it go to the answerphone. Later, I played the message back and it was from the hospital. They wanted my wife to go to the hospital one and a half hour earlier than her appointment so that she could have a blood test before her chemotherapy. She wasn't very happy about this as she'd had a blood test during her consultation at the hospital on Tuesday. She sat for a while in silence and then began to sob her heart out. She was convinced that there must be something wrong. It was the first time, in my presence, that she'd really got emotional about her situation. I tried to comfort her and say the right things but it didn't help. She's gone to bed now and I hope she manages to get some sleep.

As usual Michael, everything crossed for you both. I'm not a religious man by any stretch of the imagination, but I will pray for you both.

• Upvote 1

Michael, The second blood test so soon could be that they are really keeping an eye on her, as the Doctor said on Tuesday that he thought the cancer had got slightly smaller. If you read these messages before you take your wife to hospital, be sure to tell her we are all thinking of you both and hoping for good news.

• Upvote 5

It must be so hard for you both keeping a brave face on all of this Michael, and I guess it just got too much for your wife last night. You are both on an emotional roller coaster and there comes a time when it is better to let all the fear and sadness come out. Your wife's grief last night may bring some relief for you both in some way, and hopefully you will talk about it all soon. In the meantime I hope all goes well and that the extra blood test is a positive sign for you both. As always the very best of wishes and blessings to you both.

• Upvote 4

Michael I hope you can draw comfort that your wife's medical team are working on her condition even when she is not at the hospital. It does show that she is in the best possible hands.

We all wish your wife & your family well.

• Upvote 1

Thinking about you both Michael. Your wife is being very brave and as darkazana says, having a good cry could be helping bring relief to her situation. I'm sure you and the family are a great support for her at this very difficult, stay strong.

• Upvote 1

Michael, nothing to be concerned about with regular blood tests. My daughter had to go to St James in Leeds every day for 10 weeks for radiotherapy, chemo once a week and brachytherapy once a month and had a blood test before each chemo session as a matter of course. Keep up the positive outlook as best you can, it really does help with the treatment ongoing as it is.

As with everyone else here, my thoughts are with you both and your family.

• Upvote 1

We are all rooting for your wife Michael, and more so, the medical team. What a great feeling they all must have when their patients walk out at the end of treatment, cancer free.

• Upvote 1

Thinking of you both Michael there's a lot of strength from the nostalgians to help you through this worrying time.

• Upvote 1

I received a phone call from my eldest daughter who informed me that her mother-in-law was suffering from vertigo and wouldn't be able to look after my granddaughter. She asked me if I'd look after her while she took my wife to the hospital. I readily agreed provided she didn't poo in her nappy..lol. After my wife and daughter had left my home I hoped that things would be ok at the hospital. After a couple of hours waiting for a phone call my daughter rang to say that my wife had had her blood test and was waiting for the results. A while later she rang to say that Tuesday's blood test showed that the red blood cell count was low and it would have to be higher or the chemotherapy would be cancelled. Minutes later she rang to say that, although they were still on the low side, the red blood cell count had risen enough to allow the chemotherapy to continue. She said that my wife was elated with the news.

I had a great time with my granddaughter and we managed to tire each other out. My wife and daughter were really pleased with the way I'd looked after her but it didn't get me any Chocolate Brazils. :biggrin:. My wife and I would like to thank you all for your kind messages, you really are a group of special friends.

• Upvote 15

Thankyou for putting us out of our misery waiting for your news Michael. Lots of pleased Nottstalgians, now that we know your wifes chemo is ok to continue. You and your wife and family will be in our thoughts through this ordeal. Take care. :)

PS. No guarantees about the nappy. :rolleyes: Shame about the Chocolate Brazils! :)

• Upvote 1

Chocolate brazils ? noblue

Michael if you go to Wetherspoons in Bulwell the teenage mothers will show you how to check your granddaughter for choc brazils !

So pleased to hear about Mrs Booth too.

• Upvote 1