Paul went for a scan yesterday to check for aortic aneurism. It was a new scheme to monitor, if necessary, anyone whose aorta had a diameter of more than 3 cm. He was fine so doesn't need to be seen regularly. The scheme is only for men, so who knows what mine is!

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I received a phone call from my eldest daughter who informed me that her mother-in-law was suffering from vertigo and wouldn't be able to look after my granddaughter. She asked me if I'd look after he

I took my wife to the hospital today to discuss how her CT scan had gone and I felt like crying, with happiness. She was told that there was no sign of any cancer and that they seem to have caught it

My wife has been feeling unwell and unsteady on her legs so she had to go to the hospital for some tests. It was found that her blood platelets were low but just higher than the level where she'd need

My Dad had an aortic aneurism, the size of a tangerine apparently.

This only became evident when he lost his appetite and had various tests and scans, eventually being referred to the QMC Vascular department. I used to take him every 4 to 6 months for an ultrasound scan where the aneurism was measured and recorded. Must have done that for 5 or 6 years but it wasn't that that killed him in the end.

• Upvote 1

Paul didn't have any symptoms - he just got a letter inviting him for a free screening. His aorta was only 1.5cm diameter so that's good.

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I took my wife to the hospital yesterday to talk about her operation and have some scans done. The down side is that they found a different type of cancer as well as the original one and they were removed. Cancer was also found on 23 of her lymph nodes which were also removed from the area under her arm. It means that there is the possibility that it will reappear in the future but not a certainty. If it does then we deal with it as we've dealt with this one. On the good side, the surgeon said that the operation had gone well. The cancer they removed was bigger than they thought but it was all removed successfully. He said that 23 lymph nodes was a lot to have but, as I stated earlier, they were all removed. He was very happy with the way the wounds were healing and pleased that my wife was doing so well with her physiotherapy, which she does at home. The physiotherapy is important because it enables her to have the radiation treatment later on. Part of this is to have your arms above your head for over five minutes. My wife has just received a phone call from the hospital as they want her to go for a CT scan which, hopefully, will bring good news. My wife is also sticking to her strict diet of the foods that I mentioned in an earlier post (#374). :)

• Upvote 2

Michael, your wife has had excellent treatment from the wonderful NHS staff and we all wish her well for her future treatments. She's a very lucky lady having such a supportive family helping her through this difficult time. She'll soon be fully fit. x.

• Upvote 1

Fingers crossed here in Tipperary, I am convinced our food is killing us!! For a while I went on almond and soya milk..when I returned to dairy..I had the worst asthma for 20years!!, too many chemicals, had to pack in my allotment this year..and miss my natural veg, anyway my thoughts are with you both..Ian.

Your wife will be well taken care of Michael. I wish you and your wife all the best. That happened to me after my first op but when they find something its taken care of immediately. Don't worry everything will go ok.

• Upvote 1

It's good that your wife is sticking to the recommended foods and also doing the physio at home. I'm sure that will have a positive effect. Best wishes to you both ...

• Upvote 1

Best wishes to you and your wife Michael. Its a journey of many twists and turns and hopefully soon your wife will turn the corner and be on the home straight. Good luck with the scans :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your kind messages, everyone. I took my wife to the hospital today for her CT scan. They wanted her to raise her arms above her head during the CT scan but this was impossible as she still has her internal stitches and has only just started her physiotherapy. She had her CT scan but in a different position. We had some good news tonight. My eldest daughter phoned to say that she'd been speaking with her husband and they've decided to take us away for a holiday at the beginning of the new year. We're really looking forward to it as it'll be a relaxing holiday, not mountain climbing after the tennis. :)

• Upvote 8

Wow,Michael you two totally deserve it,I hope you don't think I'm being personal, but your composure and manner through this traumatic time is marvelous and to be commended. I have taken strength from your situation and my wife always says "he's a saint".

Glad to read that the hospital found a way of getting round the problem with raising arms for the scan Michael, sometimes to hold an awkward position for these scans can be difficult if you are in pain. I hope that your wife doesn't suffer discomfort from this. What a lovely gesture from your daughter, a holiday to look forward to will do you all good.

• Upvote 3

I took my wife to the hospital today to discuss how her CT scan had gone and I felt like crying, with happiness. She was told that there was no sign of any cancer and that they seem to have caught it before it'd spread. She also discussed her radiation treatment that she has to have soon to help prevent it coming back. So, fantastic news and lets hope it stays that way. :)

• Upvote 15