Am I the only one who thinks that the new BBC News website looks rubbish?

It wasn't broken - they didn't need to fix it!

Some bright spark has obviously decided that everything needs to be optimised for mobile phones or tablets.

Why they can't have sensing to adapt to whatever device you are using I don't know -

i.e. if you are using a PC it should come up in standard format, if you're on a tablet it should come up in another.

Instead, they've just made everything look big and now you have to scroll down to see what's going on.

Looked fine before. That's why I'd made it my homepage.

Progress (or is it ?)

You're correct in your view Cliff imo, the BBC believe that we are all only interested in cheap talent shows and the likes of Strictly Come Dancing and the News programmes reinforce this by feeling it necessary to show the same old footage of kids feet shuffling across a playground for any items about them, gnarled hands trying to hold a cup of tea when denigrating OAP`s etc. It really gets my goat! (Angry emoticon here, can't get them on the tablet, bet that's the BBC`s doing)!!!

Rant over for now.

It's not the software that's the problem, it's the devices that use the software, so the BBC has to optimise the software for the devices, the blame should go to Apple etc.

I remember when site's used to look different in the two available browsers, Netscape and Explorer. When we built a site, we had to test it in both browsers to make sure it was compatible with both. Some things always looked different with one or the other.

• Upvote 1

The "news". Whatever its format has been deliberately dumbed down to the level of entertainment for some time. The ptb do not want you actually thinking and questioning their decisions and actions. Watch American Idol and shut up! Is their attitude.

• Upvote 4

loppylugs said:

The "news". Whatever its format has been deliberately dumbed down to the level of entertainment for some time. The ptb do not want you actually thinking and questioning their decisions and actions. Watch American Idol and shut up! Is their attitude.

Yes. You're absolutely right.

The new 'exciting' website mirrors the new 'exciting' TV News. High on presentation. Low on content.

5 robot cameras whizzing round the studio and the newsreader walking around all over the place.

Sat down, stood up. Now I'm here. Now I'm there. Let's have a sweeping shot across our big studio to get the weather from the irritating Tomas Schafernackers.

Dumbed down, soundbite news items from reporters who look about 15.

At least the website was a concise view of the news that I could check out when I logged on. Not anymore.

Is everything run by 'media studies' twerps now ?

The I.T. idiots at the BBC have decided that everyone uses tablets now - despite the fact that every forum is saying that this new layout is rubbish for everyone.

I guess they think they know better.

You mentioned 'American Idol'.

The BBC's flagship Saturday night viewing 'The Voice' lost 3 million viewers recently (in a matter of weeks).

Because it's crap.

So why are they persisiting with it ? Because Danny Cohen has paid 22 milllion pounds for the rights.

Idiots wasting our license fee.

• Upvote 3

There is actually a so called world news program here that has what they call the "instant Index". Several items at no more than 15 to 30 seconds each item. No wonder folks look at ya gonnout when you mention some issues. Eg. We have not been informed on events in the Ukraine for several weeks now. The Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan has three reactors in meltdown for three years now. According to numerous websites radiation has been spewing into the Pacific in large quantities. Media nver mentions it most have probably forgotten it long ago. We sure hear about it when some second rate sports / movie star gets drunk / drugged or cheats or beats up on his wife or latest live in though. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

I think the BBC has lost the plot. The News Website is vastly inferior to the old. I want to read the written word not listen to some PC Leftie Moderated hack who calls everyone by their forename.

What happened to the old maxim "report the news don't make it!!"

Sad to see how a once proud icon has fallen so far in recent years.

I can see the time when the Licence Fee will be scrapped.

• Upvote 1

It appears that 'Tabloid TV' is what their audience want. Just looked at BBC website 'Most Popular - Read' section:

1. Zayn Malik is leaving One Direction.

2. Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear.

3. This is how hard Zayn's been working.

4. The Jeremy Clarkson story.

Before we get to:

5. Alps air crash 'killed three britons'

We are clearly out of touch with modern life (and who is Zayn Malik?)

• Upvote 3

BBC is the equivalent of "No Direction" not One Direction.

The Licence Fee should be scrapped.

PS The new BBC News Webside is for dummies.

There could also be an even worse scenario, which is the BBC having adverts AND taking our license fee.

I want to see better value and more accountability for what we pay.

I think the rot started during the John Birt era. Too many highly-paid executives rather than actual 'programme makers'.

I'm getting increasingly fed up with the BBC trying to be more like the commercial channels. There is far too much 'promo' stuff i.e. adverts for programmes, continuity announcers making smart-ass comments over the end titles, wacky presentation - like whizz bang editing and effects in things like News and Sports.

No wonder there has been an increase in migraines.

You don't want a technical extravaganza getting in the way of such things. Viewers don't sit at home going 'Oh great camera work !' - 'What fantastic editing'.

Most of the time I wonder what the hell is going whilst trying to concentrate on the subject matter on screen.

Cameras wandering around all over the place. Flashy effects. Technical wanking.

Every time I've complained or spoken to people involved, they say they that 'have to do these things'. Like there's a commitment to use everything at their disposal. This is the kind of 'Media Studies' crap that we have to put up with now.

The website just puts the tin hat on it.

I made a complaint to them about it and the reply was:

'We had to change it because more people access the internet on smartphones now'

Not actually true !

• Upvote 1

Same here, Barclaycon. Seems to be a planetwide problem. For the most part I've given up on it. The Beeb did produce some good programs at one time. That has gone, doubt it will ever come back.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does the East Midland News programme at 6.30 have 2 presenters when the National News can manage with one. A saving on salary might help improve the news output.

• Upvote 1

Why do they need regional weather forecasters ? They could all come from a central feed.