Picture taken before 1953. One of my relatives was a painter and appears to be taking a break on the roof. Any idea where it is? Looks like St Mary's in the distance but I can't identify the building with the spire that appears to be quite close.

Up%20on%20the%20roof_zpsgia1yadv.jpg

I had thought of Pitcher and Piano (Unitarian Chapel) but the spire didn't look right; P&P has one window on each side, not two?

They are on a roof on the south side of Canal Street not far from the end, by the roundabout. The large building in front of St Marys is on the end of Cliff Road. The church is St John the Baptist, so the the picture was before 1941.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.950205,-1.141765,3a,75y,313.85h,91.01t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9G-0ZduloHxkR-agUpC67A!2e0

• Upvote 1

Looks like the Commerce Square building HippoGirl, friends of mine have a penthouse in there now. Pitcher and Piano is on the same street as St Marys and Commerce Square too.

This might put it in perspective.

church_1.jpg

St John's Church as mentioned by TBI, is the one above the word "Leen". St Mary's is the one below the word "Lace". The Commerce Square building is approximately above the word "Street" on Red Lion.

I reckon the men are sitting on a roof on Leen Side (Canal Street).

• Upvote 2

I recognise the big building behind them, that has it's entrance on Commerce Square, I started work with GT Ranby in that building.