Internet Provider

I'm with BT, and I know they get a bit of stick but I've never had any problem with them.

Their account/admin people are in this country so you can understand them most of the time; and on the few occasions I've had a technical problem I've found myself talking to someone in India but they seem knowledgable and competent.

Same here must be 18 years started off with dial up had broad band since 2002

Had one or two problems over the years(who hasn't) but they have been quickly dealt with.

Plusnet for me the last 4 years .

I know they are BT owned but communications good from their Yorkshire office . Mainly by email and text .

Had a major problem last year when phone and internet virtually conked out completely .

Plusnet arranged for BT engineers to trace the fault .

This lot were a mixed bag, some good , some couldn't be bothered and if it wasn't just an easy indoors job, just wanted to abandon us and pass it on to another engineer .

Eventually a couple of contractors dug a hole in the pavement and the final two engineers that turned up spent most of the day sat in the hole renewing our connection to the lines in the road . Been good ever since .

Thanks everyone for your input.
I'm with Virgin (non cable) at the moment for internet only and they're transferring non-cable accounts to Talk Talk. I'm being transferred next month and not sure what to do!

If you can face it, ring around all of the suppliers.

Apart from the line rental, which is roughly the same across all of the companies, there are lots of discounts and deals available which aren't always advertised.

I am with talk talk, it was originally AOL, they have been pretty good, any problems have been sorted, although sometimes it has been a bit long winded, as the call centres are in India. In 17 years I have only needed an engineers visit once, as there was obviously a problem but they could not decide whether it was there fault or a problem with the incoming line (BT) the engineer installed a new modem and everything has been ok since.

My wife's brother is with Talk Talk and he's had nothing but trouble with poor service which after 6 months was diagnosed as faulty underground cabling somewhere from the main connection box out on the road and his house.

While I was there last year I checked out the house wiring and connections, being an ex BT tech myself. (in fact I installed his internal points many years ago)

All this took just over 6 months to sort out ! something that during my BT days would have taken maybe a couple of days, tops.

After privatisation all these extra providers give such a great opportunity to throw the fault into someone else's basket, and walk away !

Progress eh?

I am in NG9 and the picture on the TV has been a breaking up at times despite having a new TIVO box

• Upvote 1

Ps I forgot to add the I am with Virgin!! I have just been upgraded to 50 MB on the Internet and touch wood that's been ok.

Although I live between the Lincolnshire Wolds and the Lincolnshire Edge we find PlusNet provides a relatively decent service.

I am in a rural location so can't get fibre etc. I've been with Plusnet for years and find them good. If I have ever had a problem, which isn't often it's generally been line faults and they have sorted it pronto. I would recommend them.

I've got the BT Vision package and wondered about upping to BT Infinity. Any ideas folks. I'm in NG5 and it's slow at times.

I regularly change Internet Service Provider because they all do the same thing i.e. entice you into signing up with them at a low rate - then wack up the price on your direct debit after the offer runs out.

It's very hard to find out what they actually (or eventually) charge because the offers tend to be quite complicated.

Talk Talk used to be absolutely dreadful because they had very low network capacity. They cut people off regularly because of 'contention'. Their assertion that it was unlimited was entirely bogus - but I must admit they have improved a lot over the last year.

BT is always the most expensive and they still have the most network access. One advantage with using them is that you can use an over-rider to get cheap calls. Same with Plusnet who are owned by BT, although they've been variously good and at times, terrible.

They started out as good and then went through a period of beng 'terminally scatter-brained'. Losing people's email and having all their customers SPAMMED un-mercilessly because they got hacked.

I'm with Pop Telecom at the moment but I think I will be leaving them at the end of the 12 month period because their administration is a joke.

I'll probably be looking to see what offer BT has - before going somewhere else !