Oh yes LL, I always get my first view of it as we drive on the Colwick Loop Rd, as we pass the left turn into the bottom end of Netherfield and the right turn into the Retail Park; the road rises up and my eyeballs are peeled (not literally) over to the left searching for the spire.

How many years is it since you have been in that area LL, have you seen the Retail Park, or even the Loop Rd. Big changes since our teenage days. When you live in an area as changes are made, (not always improvements) you get used to seeing the newness, but it can be a shock when visiting after a lot of years.

When passing the Cricket field on Burton Rd, I never fail to look over to the bottom left hand corner; where the little bit of park was. It holds a lot of memories from my childhood. Even that place has gone up market. Lovely memories though.:)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday at around 2.30pm, we had ventured out (just for a break) and drove to 'Home Bargains' on the Stafford Road, about two miles from home. We had to drive very slowly but it was possible. The sn

Well, here's something you will definitely not see in Nottingham.   It's a cotton field, Y'all.     I put it in this thread because as you drive towards it it looks like

Here too in Basford. I'll get up soon and have my porridge ! 

#26. Hi Carni.  The last time I was back was 1997 with my late wife.  Yes, the loop road was there and the shopping centre.  We sat in the McDonalds one afternoon with a coffee.  Looking out of the windows at the stores we commented about how it could also have been in Canada.  It was all fields and the railway yards and repair shop when I was a kid.  We used to play out there.  Hard to believe how much things can change in so little time.

• Upvote 2
  • 9 months later...

Bl**dy heck, the coldest temperature in the UK was at Dalwhinnie in Scotland at -12.4 degrees. Ice in your scotch is ok but I don't want the whole bottle frozen. God help us if it gets to -26 then the scotch is likely to freeze. That would be a disaster

• Like 1

I always do my best ! Bells before bedtime last night. Oh ! No ice in it.

• Like 1

Yesterday at around 2.30pm, we had ventured out (just for a break) and drove to 'Home Bargains' on the Stafford Road, about two miles from home. We had to drive very slowly but it was possible. The snow was still coming down, and the checkout lady informed us that all Buses and Taxis in W-ton had stopped running.

The staff were concerned as to how they were going to get home, I asked if their employers would help, she shrugged and said we will see. The prospect was that they would have to make their own way?

It got me thinking back to the 1960s. How did we get on, not only snow, dark at 4ish, but pea soupers as well. I worked in the City, and lived at Gedling, and not once did we get any help home. I have vague recollections of being let out early, but that was all. A long 5miles to walk if there were no buses. I must say, the buses did seem to keep going until impossible to move, even if it wasn't the one you wanted, if it got you closer to home it was better than nothing. 

Schools around here all closed today, another thing I can't ever remember our schools closing. This is the most snow I can remember for a long time and it has nearly bought things to a stand still. We must have been made of stronger stuff in the olden days.:rolleyes:

• Like 4

You are mostly just not equipped for it in the UK.  It's like that here in the South.  Two inches of snow and everything stops.  Schools are closed etc.. Everyone starts blaming somebody from the president on down.

In Edmonton the first snow often fell in November.  It never truly melted until about March of the next year.  There were plenty of snow plows and folks just went on with life.  One or two inches of snow as considered a snow flurry and the weather forecast would not even mention it.  Tough us Canadians are.  :biggrin:. Especially if we came from Nottingham.

• Like 1

Nottingham to Buxton the difference is about 40 miles as the crow flies.

A few Christmas's ago we lost the MiL and she was cremated between Christmas and the new year. On the day of the funeral I rang the brother in law and asked about the weather as I had heard they had had some snow. "Just a 'skitterin'" he said "now't to talk about".

On our arrival it was lying between 4 and 6 inches thick, the service was held at Fairfield parish church with a run over the Cat & Fiddle to Macclesfield for the cremation. No one batted an eyelid, no skidding, no panic they all just carried on. This morning after about an inch I was a car sliding sideways down our road......

And please don't ask what a 'skitterin' is I have no idea.:No1:

'Skittering' - what a wonderful word.... it doesn't need explaining as I think everyone knows what it means!

Carni, I can't remember our school closing because of snow, but I do remember having to get off the number 25 because it couldn't get up the top bit of Breckhill Road.  We just walked up to the top of Westdale Lane and got a bus from there.  Wonder how that bus got there - perhaps it came up Westdale Lane and turned round?

Schools never used to close because of snow. It was just expected that pupils and staff turned up. People were not so soft in those days. We still had the wartime mentality of making an effort. We used to be on the school field before the bell rang making giant snowballs by gradually rolling the snow until it was about six feet tall. I suppose there was less traffic on the roads to snarl things up but our form master in year 4 commuted by car all the way from Cropwell Bishop to Woodthorpe and was always there on winter mornings.

Margie, I wouldn't have wanted to be on a bus on Breck Hill in the snow, it was scary enough in the sunshine.

Today in 1982 was the last day my lovely dad spent on earth aged just 57 he passed away, and on the 23rd Dec we had his funeral. Every where was white with snow and anyone who knows the hills on Phoenix Estate will understand that it was almost impossible to walk never mind drive. How ever the funeral cars even got on to the estate, i don't know. But they did, well so far. They had to stop at the top of Queens Ave and we all had to walk up the hill carrying wreathes and flowers. Complete the picture with Kids throwing snow balls at us all, and it was like a scene from a black comedy film. I think most of the journey was done with the hand brake half on. That is a snow story that I will never forget.

5 hours ago, FLY2 said:

I always do my best ! Bells before bedtime last night. Oh ! No ice in it.

Hope there is no chance of the irish nectar freezing that would be a major disaster in this house.

Just a little snow story I felt like talking about, no other reason. Sometimes it does you good if you want to talk about something. Dad, would have seen the funny side of seeing us all up to our ankles in snow, trying not to fall over walking up the hill. I have his black humour as well, so I don't feel morbid when I picture that snowy scene. I wonder if the snow would stop the funeral in todays 'Health and Safety' climate, probably put off till another day.

Just found out the schools are closed again tomorrow. Our Granddaughter is elated, it's her birthday as well.:biggrin:

Just out of interest I clicked onto the Nott'm Falcons thread, mainly to get an up to the minute view of the snow in Nottingham. The view from the University ledge showed no snow at all on the roofs or roads. Here, we are covered in snow. Chatting with my better half and we both agree this is the heaviest snow fall in W-ton since I moved here in 1966. Once on the main road it is fairly passable, but very dangerous on side roads and I imagine the country lanes are impassable. This morning, driving just off the main road, Chris described the snow covered road we were on as definitely a 1950s snow memory.

Have you any snow in Nottingham?

Another thing we have noticed is that, at least the snow has bought some of the children out to play. We have noticed whilst out on our cycles in the summer, the streets and fields void of children playing,  we decided they must all be at home playing on thier phone or computers. So pleased to see so many out and about, dragging their plastic sledges, wet through, laughing, having a good time, but most important, fresh air and a bit of exercise.

PS. Didn't  see any Falcons.

• Like 3

Well, here's something you will definitely not see in Nottingham.

It's a cotton field, Y'all.

cotton_field.jpg

I put it in this thread because as you drive towards it it looks like snow.

It is down at the end of the road that leads to our subdivision.  (That's estate to you.)  It's ready to be harvested so I expect it to be gone pretty soon.  All harvested by machine these days.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1