Hi Radford.

I used to live at Back Cottages between the "Top House" and Shonkey pit. Then moved to Mersey Street. Attended Quarry Road school. This was in the 40's. Left Mersey Street in 1952. Sorry, but your names do not ring a bell with me. Maybe after my time?

Thank you so much for your kind welcome,the photo of china street was amazing.

I lived on Commercial road,one side was Mrs Brancroft who taught me the piano,the other side next to the back entrance and the bakery was Bess,Frank and Uncle Sam plus their Alsatian dog.Across from our house was a row of cottages with my mums friend Mrs Weedon and her son Tony.The Blueit family lived behind the back passage next to school as Mr Blueit was the caretaker.

There were 3/4 houses after ours then a sweet shop and Rufford school which I a attended until 1961,Mr Thether was the head with Miss Wood,Mr Harrison and I think the other teacher was Miss Alsop.

My friends were Arnott Ashley,Lesley Dollman,Francis,Tony Green and Valerie who's dad owned the newsagent.We played on the waste ground behind Arnotts house and pursued the straw factory owner on Election Day for boxes of waxed straws Mr Peck was always the communist putting up.

There was the butchers and wool shop halfway down next to the chip shop and mens work clothes shop. Chobers sweet shop was the last in that row.

Fish was bought from the fish shop lower down towards the market,next to a jewellers if I remember and facing stead and Simpson.

• Upvote 5

Unbelievable that all that has now gone!

We lived the second house down from the bakery at the end of China street.Opposite there was a green grocers Ricardsons? And a general shop.There was another green grocer on the corner opposite the cross keys pub,I walked along there then past St Mary's school and onto what was then Blenheim.I lived in Bulwell from 1950 up to 1965 when we moved to Lenton.Anyone from Rufford or Blenheim out there would be interesting.We went to the Methodist church on Commercial rd.

In the past my grandfather owned The Quarry pub in the late 19th century. Radford

• Upvote 1

I remember the New Town Inn. The landlord was Sam Abthorpe. His younger daughter Beryl was a classmate at Quarry Road school.

In your post #9, there was mention of "chobbers "sweet shop. As a youngster I worked for Les (Chobber) CHEETHAM in his ice cream factory situated opposite Thames Street. Lots of other names are coming to mind as I write.

• Upvote 2

Those pictures bring back memories. My Gran lived on Commercial Rd, nearly opposite the chapel. When I was little, we used to visit quite often on the No 43 from Trent Bridge. We'd always get an an ice cream from Chobber Cheethams, on the corner I recall. My dad went to Quarry Rd school in the '20s.

• Upvote 1

Thank you all so very much,the photographs and many happy days come flooding back you have all made my day.

Every Friday I walked down and met my dad on his way home from work,I had sixpence to spend in Chobers and a box of black magic for mum!

My dad worked in Colwick at clayton gauges.

We had processions from the Methodist church carrying banners every whit weekend and Sunday school anniversaries.

I later joined the girls brigade just down from the Bogs at the Baptist church,mainly for the entertainment from the boys brigade.

The pot man on Bulwell market was always entertaining,and as Easter gets closer the scramble to buy wet fish before everything closed at mid day,the fish shop was on Commercial rd just up from the market.

Thanks once more.Radford

• Upvote 3

Quarry Road ( Commercial Road ) / Severn Street Bulwell c1900s - Primitive Methodist Chapel 1888546_214401762092532_1952380327_n_zps

I've lived around the corner from here for the last 40 years.

I knew there were in the past a Methodist Church on Commercial Road but unsure exactly where.

Looking at your picture I can see now exactly where the church was ! Thank you.

I know which picture I prefer. !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.002218,-1.1998,3a,75y,278.1h,82.1t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sDYEL2xdNJWrtKz1jAC4XkA!2e0?hl=en

Why an earth was it so big the church that is ?We had harvest suppers and dances in the hall and always stuck your name on a plaster on the back of your plate so you did not loose it!

They built a very scary structure at the front of the chapel built of planks.We would all clamber up and sing our solos and recite our poems,it was terrifying.

This was after we had the Whit Sunday parade with banners and music,happy days !

• 1 year later...
On 28/03/2015 at 11:02 PM, Radford said:

New member,I lived on Commercial rd next to China Street knew Francis Geeson .Bakery owned by Auntie Cath.Anybody interested?

Radford

Hi Radford did you live at Rowleys wool shop I also know carol geeson

As the sun sinks slowly in the west over Bulwell, the last shards of golden sunlight strike the silvery boughs of a birch tree. In this golden glow, a green woodpecker perches, all of a sudden dropping from from his roost to strut his stuff on the freshly cut lawn, pecking and probing for a final morsel before retiring and bracing himself for the chilly night to come. The sun, now sunk behind the distant horizon, in a final flurry of colour, elluminates the strata of cloud with a rosy and fiery glow. And so the night draws in, daytime resting now, ready for the morrow, the wonder of nocturnal life begins to stir.

• Upvote 2