Learning things of which you were unaware
If there’s something you want to know
Just ask – someone will have the info
Members have loads of local knowledge
It’s far better than going to any college
Being on the site is like a time machine
And better than buying a magazine
There’s jokes, games and memories too
So there’s bound to be something for you.

• Upvote 9
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've stated elsewhere, I came across this site whilst searching Annesley and Colwick railway depots. I also noticed my old mate Rob237 (RIP) had posted , so I investigated further and was instantly

I found this site nearly 3 months ago when I was googling 'sledging on Breckhill Fields' as I'm sort-of writing down what I remember of my life for my kids/grandkids. I just thought I didn't want all

I joined in January and this site is brilliant. New members are being welcomed regularly. As a recently joined member there is so much to read on all the threads that it is taking me a while to explor

I had noticed momentum seemed to have stalled a bit recently, after a big increase in posts stimulated by Robbies fine pictures.

I think denshaws comment is spot-on, there is a lot going on and the site has a certain uniqueness about it. Looking at the member visits appearing at the bottom of the page though, I do see unfamiliar names with no posts and I wonder why that might be? Perhaps a little more encouragement, I don't know.

I try to contribute as much as I can, my knowledge is variable and I don't regard myself as expert at anything. I generally come on the site to learn from the incredible wealth of knowledge of others and comment on their posts, with the occasional a bit of humour if I can. Doesn't always hit the spot with some members, but what the hell!

By the way, even though I voted for political discussion, I'm glad it got chucked out. I'm already sick to the back teeth with politics on the telly over the past couple of days.

• Upvote 3

Robbies photos were incredible and a great asset to this site! Your post was lovely Margie and I'd love to read more of your memories. Not self indulgent at all!

I feel I often don't have much to offer to the forum being so young but I learn something new about my surroundings all the time which is what this site is all about!

I'm with you TBI I voted for politics topics to stay but am also sick of seeing it all over the news!

• Upvote 5

MargieH I agree with you about the importance of recording these things for our children. I found this site when I was looking for detail about Nottingham between 1901, when my grandfather came to work in the newspaper office and 1982 when my dad died. I have written a description of grandfathers house for my son. He read it and asked questions and I put in more detail in response to this. His questions made me remember the extra detail. My mother used to tell me lots of stories about her childhood in Yorkshire and I wish I had written it down. Now I am trying to remember what she told me

get it all recorded. Visiting this site has made me realise that I have a history too!

When I was young I thought history was boring. My dad told me that my opinion would change. Dad was right!

• Upvote 5

When I was young I thought history was boring. My dad told me that my opinion would change. Dad was right!

The older you get, the more history there is. And it stops being boring when you realise that you are part of it.

• Upvote 5

In my opinion the photos that Robbie has uploaded on the site in the past few weeks, and those that RobL posted a few months ago, have generated loads of interest, I expect in the main because not many of us bothered to take photos of street scenes 30, 40, 50 years ago. When I cleared my parents house out a couple of years ago there were thousands of photos and slides, which I still have in a big box, but the majority of those were of groups of people posing for the camera. Only interesting for the family. The only views that my Dad took were when they were on holiday somewhere, of no interest even to me. Personally, I only began taking photos when I had my kids so I have nothing of interest to other Nottstalgians.

Thank you Robbie, RobL and others who have taken the trouble to share your pics.

• Upvote 8

Did'nt expect the response we got when i posted this topic,made me realise what the forum means to so many especially many fairly new members,and the different reasons they have for being part of it,...........confidence restored ,keep posting, :)

• Upvote 6

This site has always been great. I arrived in 2008, I can't even remember what I may have been looking for now, but I'm glad I stayed. This is a place where one can share unique memories that only fellow Nottinghamians can really understand. I know my wife and kids know I am on some site about Nottingham, but I don't even know if they read my posts. ( I do not encourage it) After all anyone can read without being a member. If they do, Hi guys! In many ways I hope they do not. :-)). This site allows one to expose a side of oneself that few others get to see. Maybe one day my great great grandkids might find it. Then they'll wonder what a weird old codger their ancestor was. LOL.

• Upvote 5

Even though I am only about 65 miles from Nottingham, I have always felt different from the people I live amongst. My accent has a lot to do with it. I can't even be a pest and make any nuisence calls to my friends, because as soon as they hear my voice, they say "Aw, It's only carni again"! (Only Joking).

As you say Loppylugs, we can share our memories with people who understand. Chris sees most of what is posted and he has a great laugh at the comedy and banter, Though he hasn't got the emotional tie that I have about Nottingham. I do like to keep this for myself, and I spend hours just flipping in and out through out the day and night.

• Upvote 3

#50 I can relate to your last comment MargieH as no one seems to come from my area either, and as I come from out of town I don't have the same memories, but it makes interesting reading about parts of Nottingham that I have not visited, and of course all the owt abaht nowt posts and other topics. There is always something happening on here.

And the great support that everyone shows each other especially at difficult times is heartwarming. It's great to know that at times of crisis you are not alone.

• Upvote 7

As I've stated elsewhere, I came across this site whilst searching Annesley and Colwick railway depots. I also noticed my old mate Rob237 (RIP) had posted , so I investigated further and was instantly hooked. I read most topics, but many just didn't hit it with me. Now dont get me wrong, and I don't mean to offend, but it's everyone's choice to pursue their own interests,

I have no affinity with planes, but many do. I've no real interest in say Clumber St photos in 1970, but many do.

My memories of town in the 60's and 70's are sealed in my head. I don't need photos. I've no interest in mining technology, but many do. I've no interest in night clubs, but lots do. I've certainly no interest in local pictures of the non event of the decade, the so called solar eclipse, as the sky is like that most days over Bestwood.

What I do like are the word games. I love the English language and some people's knowledge of words is priceless.

I abhor the Nottm slang, but some love it.

I love the music and song choices, some of the folk have a vast knowledge covering many years.

I love the railway and footy topics, and some good banter prevails.

What I really like are the fellow members. Now again , no offence meant. Some have a great sense of humour, a few are very droll.

Some sit on the fence during heated discussions, whilst others throw themselves into it wholeheartedly. Some post to please people, others tell it like it is. Some are a bit up themselves, whereas most are very self effacing. Some are extremely up on technology and how to embrace it, me, I'm a dinosaur. Some are very well educated, others less so.

We all come from different backgrounds, lifestyles, and upbringings, but that's what makes it so enjoyable.

I've encountered several members with whom I could be lifelong friends, and one of two I could gleefully slap with minimal provocation.

That's the beauty of Nottstalgia, we are all different. I've been on music and railway forums where some try to outdo less knowledgable folk by demeaning them, and smothering them with their so called superior expertise. Not here, everyone is so friendly, funny, helpful and like a proper family.

So there you have it. If I've ruffled a few feathers, then so be it. No offence was meant.

Nottstalgians !!!!!! Where would I be without you ?

• Upvote 17

DARKAZANA and FLY2, what lovely posts.....and so meaningful, in a time of highs/lows, good news/ bad news, sun/ rain, there are deffo a lot of people on here who know how to turn tears into laughter and night into day......it's like being on a commune without washing the dishes !!!! LOL , love to you all xx

• Upvote 9

I think I can echo much of what FLY2 says. I can get involved in talk about Bilborough and the surrounding areas. Also trains, buses, WW2 planes and certain aspects of social history. The rest I read with interest and sometimes throw in a comment. Better than TV at present which seems to be buzzing with lying politicians.

Good friends are like stars.

You can't always see them,

But you know they're always there.

• Upvote 4

Some great posts following Darkazanas and FLY2s,quite a 'Soppy lot' really ain't we,lol.but i draw the line at a group hug Margie,i reckon the 'forum' is more harminous now despite varying tastes,we all have different fav.topics i enjoy most not all,but most of all i love them interlaced with humour,i even reckon FLY2 almost accepts GC and Tie wearing (almost lol).

Anyway great stuff folks,see ya later.

• Upvote 5

Just !!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Mine too !!!!!

• 2 years later...