I think looking at the total number of members is somewhat confusing as a quick look at the first couple of pages of the member lists shows many of them have either not posted at all or made very few posts.
I agree with what some of the above posters have mentioned as far as it's the quality of posts rather than the amount. Maybe it would be an idea if a regular poster suddenly stops posting to contact them to find out the reason.
I think this is a good site and we should be pleased to make new friendships with roots in our own city.

• Upvote 7
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've stated elsewhere, I came across this site whilst searching Annesley and Colwick railway depots. I also noticed my old mate Rob237 (RIP) had posted , so I investigated further and was instantly

I found this site nearly 3 months ago when I was googling 'sledging on Breckhill Fields' as I'm sort-of writing down what I remember of my life for my kids/grandkids. I just thought I didn't want all

I joined in January and this site is brilliant. New members are being welcomed regularly. As a recently joined member there is so much to read on all the threads that it is taking me a while to explor

Do people join, scour the site for information and then disappear having found out what they need to know?

If this is the case I would take that as a compliment to the posters here for having so much info to hand, after all I believe Micks intention was to set up an archive.

• Upvote 7

I think quite a few people do just that; they ask a question, get an answer - if they bother to come back at all - and then disappear into the sunset.

But there are some who get addicted, can't drag themselves away from the site, and keep coming back for more.

• Upvote 5

Sometimes people ask a question that they are researching and maybe then find an answer. Why not share it?

• Upvote 1

This site is an archive. We are sharing facts and memories to record social history in Nottingham. This is good record keeping. The excellent discussion about different things clarifies details for the benefit of all. Whatever our ages we are using the technology for a good purpose, in a safe and moderated environment. The jokes are great and the association games good fun. Enjoy!

• Upvote 4

Well I only came here because I Googled to find out where people who died dahnt Medders might be buried. That was 18 months ago and I finally found out where she died 3 weeks ago. I am stuck here forever now!

• Upvote 6

In November 2011, I decided to look on my computer for any info regarding Trent Bridge School and Grainger Street, off Meadow Lane. Google threw up quite a few items and these included Nottstalgia. I started reading the posts and, nearly three and a half years later, I'm still reading them. In the beginning I had my whole life to comment on but as time goes by you find that you're trying to find subjects that you haven't already commented on before. This is the reason that it's so important for new members joining us. They freshen things up and bring something new to Nottstalgia.

• Upvote 7

Yes Michael i think that about sums it up,when i first joined i was coming up with lots of Topics,and eventually you start to run dry,and at the risk of boring people talking about 'yersen'.

• Upvote 6

OK you lot. I have taken the hint :sorry:

Same as everyone else. I was researching my Family Tree and stumbled across Nottstalgia. Talk about getting hooked. First call in the morning and last one at night. Every Day.

• Upvote 6

I've just read through all the entertaining posts on this thread.

I enjoy the new (and old) subjects that arise but equally like reading this sort of banter even though the subject matter is actually about a lack of content.

It is probably just a seasonal thing but I will double my efforts to post more.

Going through a busy time at the moment but will try and put my tupence in if possible !

• Upvote 5

This is an excellent site and I am learning a lot , especially about local history. Long may the site continue in its present format and long may members continue to contribute in such an enjoyable manner.

• Upvote 8

I also cannot remember what first brought me here, but I see that I joined on Christmas Day 2008 - so I presume conversation had flagged, and the TV was spouting its usual seasonal rubbish ! I then went away and more or less forgot about Nottstalgia for a year or two. I'm not sure, but I think it was a query on the Old Bus Pictures website that led me back to find an answer (connected with Hanley Street, if I remember rightly!) and a bit of browsing led on from one thing to another. Funnily enough, it had occurred to me that I haven't posted much lately - although I do tend to respond to other people's posts rather than starting new ones. I hadn't noticed that there was an epidemic of non-posting though.

• Upvote 1

It's because I've been unable to embark upon late night word games. I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms, but I'm not so tired. LOL

There's been one or two twerps on over the years though !!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I found this site nearly 3 months ago when I was googling 'sledging on Breckhill Fields' as I'm sort-of writing down what I remember of my life for my kids/grandkids. I just thought I didn't want all the memories in my head to be lost when I die! I suppose that's one of the reasons we put stuff on here? My Mum used to tell me the stories of her childhood living on a farm at Saundby, near Gainsborough and I loved these stories more than any others. She was born in 1902 so her young life was very different from mine growing up in Nottingham during the forties and fifties. She told me about the games that she and two of her siblings used to play on the farm - like when she and her sister were playing 'horses' and she tied her sister up outside a barn, went in the house and then genuinely forgot about her for about half an hour. And how she and her sister used to make little dresses for their one doll each out of scraps of fabric and ribbons, and how sad she felt when this wooden doll had to be buried when one of her younger siblings who had been playing with it developed Scarlet Fever. She told me that she and her sister used to go for walks in the woods where she said they actually saw fairies in a rose bower. (Even when she was old, she still said that was true.)

I haven't posted any more of my own memories for a while - because not many of you seem to have lived in my area and it seems a bit self-indulgent when you may not relate to the places I know. BUT there again, it's not just things and places that we can write about so I'll try to write more about what I remember. I enjoy reading all the posts and feel like I really know some of you x

• Upvote 12

Hi' MargieH just keep on writing it doe's not matter if people don't reply, other people will read it and enjoy what they have read and just maybe someone who knows the area will reply.

• Upvote 2