single or double breasted?

As the threads look quiet at the moment , i'll bore you with a tale about ' threads'. Years ago i was going on a long trip to the USA and wanted some clothes. Did the normals - Machins - Roxy threads and Cecil Gee. But wanted something different, i think i nipped in Price and Beals but saw nothing; i then wandered over to Flittermans but the clobber was a little drab. The female asst then said "we have an old room upstairs- but it's dated gear, would you like a gander?" Would a dog eat a sausage????? This top room was packed to the rafters with forties suits and jackets etc.. I was like a pig in the proverbial!! and purchased herring bone . worsted and check suits with great lapels and lining. Question "stalgians" were these demob suits? All the labels said inside was: CCC. Anyone shed any light please?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope there isn't a Saracen's Ladies' Angling Group! 

It is indeed RR. Tweed check complete with belt on jacket. As for oiled beard - depends how juicy the steak was. And tattoos! Some of the guys in our fishing club are on about getting the club logo ta

I saw a guy in Bulwell with a tie on last week............... It was round his waist holding his trousers up !!!!!!! LOL

I still have a blanket with the CC utility mark on it... in perfect condition. Nearly all goods carried the mark under the strict rationing regime during and after WW2

The label was introduced during the war and was meant to show a fair slice of the cake.All clothing was made to a certain quality limiting the amount of cloth used.Trouser turn ups were banned and the number of pockets regulated.Shirts had to be a certain length,even the number of buttons on a suit was limited to three.

nx7qsz.jpg

If you look at some War time films and programes like 'Dads Army' double breasted suits are very prevelent,and i remember my Dad and both Grandads wearing them,very smart.,............Must get one,... :biggrin:

My dad had a 'demob suit' circa 1946,navy blue pin stripe single breasted jacket,pinched at the waist,with 18 inch strait leg trousers.

This style of suit became popular due to the 'Bonnie and Clyde' movie.1967.

I wore it to the Beachcomber one night and won an LP,because they were havinging a throw back to the 1930's dress competition,and my mates pushed me on the stage,and me being such a shy creature.

I gave the LP to a gal,and I never wore the suit again.The only label was a sqare peice of cotton with the WD and arrow and 42 R in black.

• Upvote 2

Paul, if your legs are only 18 inches long, then my suit trousers will be too long for you, but they do have turn-ups so perhaps you could roll them up a bit more, or get in touch with Mick who may have a solution to that sort of problem :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

I definitely prefer double breasted, so does im indoors...............

• Upvote 1

Good idea catfan,......but i'd look a 'bugger' in Bulwell..............combined wiv me 'Winkle pickers'

• Upvote 2

I saw a guy in Bulwell with a tie on last week............... It was round his waist holding his trousers up !!!!!!! LOL

• Upvote 3

Was it Jackson the Tailor on Radford Rd in the 50/60's? When I got a job as a technical rep I visited the Leeds area often and bought suit lengths from a bloke in a pub a couple of times. I took them to Jacksons who made my suits. The tailor commented on how good a quality the cloth was. £5 for 2 3/4 yards for single breasted and £6 for 3 1/4 yards for double breasted. The tailor made them up for £10 or £12 inc 2 fittings. I remember the first time I was measured. "Right or left dressing sir"? :huh:

• Upvote 1

I still recall my 1st double breasted suit mid 60s,it was dark brown with a faint check pattern,spilt 'Whisky' down the 'crotch part' first time of wearing it,and even after having it 'dry cleaned' it remained stiff...............i still miss it, :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

Remained stiff hey !!!!!! Bragging or complaining benji.....

• Upvote 2

Benjamin: when i got the 44 or 71 bus we would chat ( always with 'is mam!)

Know what you mean Ian,..........them sort always seem to sit next to me as well. lol

I would just like to see men back in suits

When I first went with master for a new suit "BURTONS" bottom Hockley he had a three piece, you could choose a patten from books, have it made as you wanted, back vent, two flaps, side pockets slanted or not, collar wide or small I could go on all this for £3 00 .

Then the Beatles style came in! can you remember no collar.

• Upvote 1