Cottage on Bramcote Lane Wollaton

Morning! I was hoping that I might pick the brains of you kind folks further ? Yesterday I interrupted a conversation [sorry] to ask about that white washed lovely cottage on Bramcote lane that sits behind the high wall behind the Hemlock Pub? I was given the lead that it was the old school house and belonged to the Straw family up to the 1960's [thankyou for that] But I still havent managed to find anything on its age or who built it etc. When asking about school house on Bramcote lane I got a red brick at 38 [the other side of Wollaton Vale] and on asking about the Straw family all I got was a life style museum up county somewhere? Will some one take pity on my limited research skills and give me perhaps a sniff more to go on? haha Thanks in advance :)

If you look at the map that cliff posted on the topic about the old railway bridge, it is #7. I think the cottage is shown it is called model cottage.

That map is dated 1901, so the cottage would be a lot older than that.

• Upvote 1

I actually have a copy of that map myself and all the cottages marked in the area are called 'model cottage' :) Im hoping to find out something of a personal sort [who lived there when etc] but as it doesnt appear to have had anyone famous sleep there haha [not even Richard the 3rd hehe] It doesnt rate much of a mention anywhere? , Thanks for your suggestion :)

There is a mention of an Albert Straw who was a department manager at Drewry and Edwards in the 30s living at Bramcote Lane .

His name is also mentioned again in 1947 when there was a picture quiz in the E.Post showing a dovecote on his land , dating from 1520, on land that was originally part of Lord Middleton's, Wollaton Park.

Unfortunately can't read the complete articles at the mo, either my tablet or the site is playing up !

• Upvote 1

Yes that's it. Its been changed a lot in recent years and did at one time have a mock windmill in the garden.

Sorry I had not read the above post referring to the windmill. I don't think that it was anything other than ornamental. The whole wall at the front was rebuilt in the past 20 years or so in the same brickwork.

I don't think that being adjacent to the Tottle Brook had any connection to the mock windmill and I rather think no connection at all to Greens in Sneinton.

• Upvote 1

My parents used to talk about walking down Bramcote Lane from the Admiral Rodney, along Sandy Lane and down Deddington Lane, long before any houses were built around there. Hard to imagine it all as countryside.

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone :) It seems to want to remain a mystery :) I know the Dovecote on Mr Straws land is up the other end of Bramcote lane in the village proper on Dovecote lane [now the museum] in Wollaton but I dont know if the cottage is linked with him at all? From what little I can see from the road Id hazard a guess at the oldest part of the cottage being as old as the 18th century cottages on Wollaton village by the Rodney? I will keep snooping then! Thanks again! :)

My wife , as a kid, regularly came along the now Bramcote Lane , to the cemetery, and from there it was all open fields . She recalls that the Tottle Brook was quite steep sided in places and believes that there were other mini tributaries which flowed (in a trickle) into the Brook.

There was no continuation of Bramcote Lane towards the now Thoresby Road. The only tract went across to Sandy Lane and from there to the Derby Road.

Apparently there was a riding school somewhere nearby amongst the fields. Part of the land to the North, which was drained by the Tottle Brook was quite boggy and I have seen an area which was called "Misty Bottom" which I believe was near the canal.

Wollaton Vale was a late addition.

• Upvote 1

Yes! I just found a wonderful old photo from the 40's looking very rural, of the intersection of Bramcote lane and wroxham drive looking towards the moors where the present day Bramcote lane shops would one day be built :) The cottage I am researching would have been just out of shot to the right :D So close! The earliest maps that mention it are the Ordinance survey maps of the late 1800's but only that it exists not by any title :/ Thanks for tour info! :)

This was the model cottage before its recent makeover

If you put

Model Cottage, Bramcote Lane, Wollaton into Google you will see a picture of the cottage taken about 1979. Try

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/gwoodward/3093326109/

Its probably more like the original

Probably built in the early 1800s, this cottage was once on the outskirts of Wollaton village, on the track to Bramcote. It now sits beside the busy Bramcote Lane.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 3/31/2015 at 5:28 PM, MaryLMarlow said:

Morning! I was hoping that I might pick the brains of you kind folks further ? Yesterday I interrupted a conversation [sorry] to ask about that white washed lovely cottage on Bramcote lane that sits behind the high wall behind the Hemlock Pub? I was given the lead that it was the old school house and belonged to the Straw family up to the 1960's [thankyou for that] But I still havent managed to find anything on its age or who built it etc. When asking about school house on Bramcote lane I got a red brick at 38 [the other side of Wollaton Vale] and on asking about the Straw family all I got was a life style museum up county somewhere? Will some one take pity on my limited research skills and give me perhaps a sniff more to go on? haha Thanks in advance :)

Hello. If you would like information about The Old School House Bramcote Lane, Wollaton, or the Dovecote, please get in touch with me. 

My father was Albert Straw and I grew up at this address. The Dovecote  stood in the grounds of our home which my father bought around 1948. My brothers and I spent much of our childhood in the Dovecote, it was or 'playhouse' and my pony was stabled in part of it.

Hope to hear from you. 

Joan

Joan, welcome to Nottstalgia. 

MaryLMarlow who started this thread hasn't logged in here since April 2015 so it's unlikely she'll see your post. However, if you'd like to tell us about your time in the Old School House, there are a lot of people here who'd be interested to read your story.

• Upvote 1
On 3/31/2015 at 6:09 PM, DAVIDW said:

There is a mention of an Albert Straw..... living at Bramcote Lane .  His name is also mentioned again in 1947 ...... showing a dovecote on his land , dating from 1520, on land that was originally part of Lord Middleton's, Wollaton Park.

22 hours ago, Joan Lees-Straw said:

Hello. If you would like information about The Old School House Bramcote Lane, Wollaton, or the Dovecote, please get in touch with me.  My father was Albert Straw and I grew up at this address. The Dovecote  stood in the grounds of our home which my father bought around 1948. My brothers and I spent much of our childhood in the Dovecote, it was or 'playhouse' and my pony was stabled in part of it.

DAVIDW has sent me a photo of the Dovecote in question, and asked me to post it in this thread. It's not the best quality photo I've ever seen, but.....

XyjP5IA.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks CT . No not the best quality but was taken from an NEP picture quiz in 1947. I tried to lighten it a bit but that's how old but newly digitised newspaper pictures sometimes appear. Something to do with the OCR software .