So 1st of April today, April Fools Day, All Fools day or Poisson D'avril, it's origins are uncertain, but this link gives a good account of how it all came about.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/april-fools-tradition-popularized

What is the best April Fools Day Trick that you can remember, or have played on someone?

The one that comes to mind for me was in 1980 when the BBC reported that dinosaurs had been recreated somewhere in Britain.

I particularly remember this one as I was on my honeymoon at the time (with my first husband) and the pub were all talking about it and the consequences, until I reminded them what day it was!

• Upvote 1

Hi thanks for the link it is very interesting from a historical perspective.

I once worked in a school in a small market town in Leicestershire and on April 1st some prankster had contacted ALL the schools (on behalf of the LEA) to inform them that there was a special closure on the 2nd of April. You can guess the rest!!

Kids loved it! ..............I wonder if they were behind it.

• Upvote 1

Last night after my husband had gone to bed . I crept in to the kitchen and took the carton of milk from the fridge and added a few ingredients...Dissolved Coffee, Tea, GreenFood Collouring ,Red Sauce and Brown sauce. You should have heard the swearwords this morning. April Fool :biggrin:

Heres a good one from the Tele.

• Upvote 3

# 6

I lived in Gotham for a few years when I was a kid near the bus depot on Leak Road. When the buses parked up at night the headlights shone through the trees making moving shadows on the bedroom wall, my big sister told me it was the bogie man coming to get me, I screamed blue murder. I'd be one of the fools then. :)

Fell for the one on 'Money savings expert' website this morning about tax free wages, der. :)

It's time we dropped it. It's peeing me off !!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

I haven't even got up yet and my rotter husband has April fooled me twice, the Bo99er! First one; half an hour ago, when he rushed into  the room all of a panic, because we had promised to pick daughter up at 7.30am,  for a day trip to Skeggy  and we had forgotton. I was half way out of the room, when he sweetly says 'April Fool'

The second one, just now, he walked into the room with my morning cuppa. As he walked towards me he tripped on the carpet, and showered me with cut up bits of paper from the mug. 'April Fool'

Now I am not a spoil sport (Most of the time) but I dead eyed him, smiled sweetly and said 'YOU Will BE SOOO SORRY'. Me with a Dicky Ticker anawl. slywink

• Upvote 7

Today is the 7th birthday of my dear little moggie, Crystal. She's pure white, odd eyed, ninepence to the shilling and totally deaf since birth! Somebody certainly played an April Fool trick on her! But I love her to bits and she's feasting on her favourite sardines in tomato sauce for breakfast!  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

My two are 6 today. Well, maybe. They were rescued at about 6 weeks, I counted back and April 1st was as good a date as any. Easy to remember anyway.

• Upvote 1

I've done the old,. "How did that Skunk get in the garden?" Routine on Mrs. Loopy so many times she's wise to it.  Looking for the day there really IS a Skunk in the garden.  That should be interesting.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 weeks later...

In Practical Television (a trade mag) years ago they ran an article about how satellite TV feeds from Australia/New Zealand came in upside down & had to be inverted before going out on BBC/ITV, & they were explaining how it was done. None of it seemed to make any sense & no wonder: It was the 1'st April edition, I fell for it till I twigged...