An article in the Radio Times states that Nottingham is the poverty capital of the UK with 32per cent of children living in poverty and the average disposable annual income of each household being £10,834 as opposed to the UK average of £16,034.

This is to promote a programme on 9th April whereby Torvill and Dean set up a mobile ice rink in St Ann's for the benefit of teenagers living there and to encourage them to take part in an ice show. Can't say I can see the reasoning behind this but it could be an interesting watch.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The kids are in poverty because Nottinghan is littered with discarded scratch cards, fag packets, Stella bottles, energy drinks cans, and never ending fast food detritus. I blame the parents wholehear

But it’s easy (and infuriating) to be dismissive without putting forward a sensible argument! Why is it laughable? Why is it sad?   You’re just confirming your detractors views. To be honest

This is worth a read. I make no claim of authorship and not having permission to reprint it I offer only the link. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, you must judge for your self the re

The kids are in poverty because Nottinghan is littered with discarded scratch cards, fag packets, Stella bottles, energy drinks cans, and never ending fast food detritus. I blame the parents wholeheartedly !!!!!!

• Upvote 11

It is absolutely disgraceful that to say children in this country are living in poverty.

With one of the most generous benefits systems in the world how can this be ?

Nowadays if parents can't have the latest mobile phone, landline phone, Sky or Virgin TV package (the full one). Smoke at least one pack of fags a day (£8-£10) Have a social life they want. A holiday every year, then society gets the blame by not providing enough money in the first place they will say. I've known some single mothers to have driving lessons, they aren't cheap either.

If unemployed people have children they can quite easily be financially better off than a working household.

A quick example, a recent neighbour, one parent girl with three kids, pays rent of £600 per month. The social will only pay £425 so who pays the shortfall of £175 ? Answer ? Her live in boyfriend.!

Her kids have expensive toys discarded all over the garden, big out door birthday party's with hired Bouncy Castle & Hired Disco every year.

So, the Radio Times reckon kids in the UK are living in poverty ? My AR$E !

FLY2 You are certainly right about that.

I could go on all day about this but my blood is beginning to boil !

• Upvote 6

You can now see why certain benefits need to be cut DRASTICALLY.

• Upvote 4

I hope not !!!!!!!

It's not the lack of cash that they get. It's what the tw4ts spend it on.

• Upvote 1

When I was on Mr Softee, I saw some sights.

On Edwards Lane Est a woman had about eight kids. They often had a big bowl filled with ice cream.

I had to go in one day to give one of the kids more change. No furniture, one chair, tiny table boxes for the kids !

Massive tv in the corner.

Same in a house on Leybourne Dr, Bestwood.

This was 1969.

Whatever the definition of 'poverty' is, and I certainly don't know, there are those who manage to live within its boundaries and those who can't avoid doing so. The trick is, I suppose, to separate the two catagories. My sympathies to those who try to do it.

• Upvote 2

Take my two daughters, one knows the value of everything, the other knows the cost of everything.

If by some miracle I won the lottery and gave them both 100K. One would squander it, the other would double it.

• Upvote 5

As a child of a single parent family in the '50s, my dad died when I was 7 years old, me being the youngest of 4 kids.

Many a night I went to bed on an empty stomach, only meal all day being a free school dinner & we were segregated from the paying kids ! Treated like vermin.

We should never return to those days but as FLY2 said previously, some benefits need drastically reducing, or is it a case where wages have fallen so low ?

Trouble is nowadays these "Giro Kids" expect everything on a plate, their parent / parents have never worked & not likely to. When they grow up & breed they will only fuelling the "Giro Culture" for the next generation.

• Upvote 7

Exterminate !!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

A guy called Charles Murray wrote a great book called 'The Emerging British Underclass' which discussed the difference between people who were poor and people who were benefit-dependant scroungers.

He said that unfortunately we tend to lump them all together now and just refer to them as 'the poor'.

If you remember from school, there were kids who were obviously from poor families but they were clothed, well presented and well mannered. Then there kids who were just trouble. Low life scrotes who were obviously on a trejectory towards low achievment and anti-social behaviour. The difference being mainly down to their parents.

• Upvote 4

Poverty comes in many guises. No child in this country is cash poor for want of income (whether it be from work or benefits). The real poverty is the way these children are brought up. There are excellent parents out there who use their money to greatest advantage. However there are also many who just take the pi$$.

• Upvote 4

The children who live in poverty are the ones with bad parents..........We were classed as poor back in the 1950's my dad had an accident at the pit and could not work for ages, I was one of six children, no benefits back then.....we had a nice clean home......I cannot ever remember being hungry or cold and we were well clothed because my mother could sew and knit, she could make a meal out of practically nothing and she saved so that we could get outings, we were encouraged to do jobs to help out.............Everybody today wants everything for nothing and scream out loud when they do not get it for free, they even boast at what they do to get things.......The parent's never seem to go without, only the kids and they use them to get as much as they can from the system....................

• Upvote 5

When I was on Mr Softee, I saw some sights.

On Edwards Lane Est a woman had about eight kids. They often had a big bowl filled with ice cream.

I had to go in one day to give one of the kids more change. No furniture, one chair, tiny table boxes for the kids !

Massive tv in the corner.

Same in a house on Leybourne Dr, Bestwood.

This was 1969.

Well why keep having kids which you cannot afford to keep ?..... there is contraception today for free.............

• Upvote 2

Littered with scratch cards?.

because people believe they are going to get rich by getting a "BIG WIN"

maxresdefault.jpg

They are seriously deluded.

Put the cash into a box every time you fancy buying one & see how much you have after a month/year.

I don't know how much they cost having never bought one (£1 or £2 ?) but two a week would pay for Christmas.

• Upvote 3

I stopped buying lottery tickets when they went up to £2 each.

And I only bought one occasionally as I had better things to waste my cash on...................Like books & beer. ;)

• Upvote 1

If you would like the excitement and tension of watching the Lottery results on the TV without spending any money on tickets, then you could do what we do: we have chosen 6 numbers each and use these same numbers every week. Then we watch with great anticipation hoping they DON'T come up! We've never bought a Lottery ticket but have done this since the Lottery started.

I know..... It's crazy.... that's what everyone says.... "What would you do if your numbers ever came up?" Well, After the shock, I hope we could laugh!

• Upvote 1

If you can afford to play the Lottery, then why not? It's a bit of fun and if you're one of the millions of Lottery winners it can change your life. If you don't play the Lottery then your life will remain the same. If you play the Lottery and get a big win, it doesn't have to be the jackpot, then it's a seaside villa by the beach in the Caribbean.

On the other hand, you'll get people spending all their housekeeping money chasing the dream. For those people gambling can become an addiction and can ruin the lives of them and their families.

• Upvote 3

The lottery is gambling & like ALL forms of gambling there are more(lots) of loosers than winners.

Ever seen a poor bookmaker?

No, but have known 3 big Lotto winners !