Yes, certainly looks like one but it appears very basic. As said, there has always been a box at that location. Phone boxes had started to appear around the town centre before the war but were usually bigger and had a telephone sign above. I wonder if that particular one might have been for police use at that time. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The kids are in poverty because Nottinghan is littered with discarded scratch cards, fag packets, Stella bottles, energy drinks cans, and never ending fast food detritus. I blame the parents wholehear

But it’s easy (and infuriating) to be dismissive without putting forward a sensible argument! Why is it laughable? Why is it sad?   You’re just confirming your detractors views. To be honest

This is worth a read. I make no claim of authorship and not having permission to reprint it I offer only the link. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, you must judge for your self the re

Yes Willow, that's a later version than the North Circus St one and a great close-up. That particular one in front of the public bogs would soon be joined by a second one next to it.

I'm a bit intrigued by the window signs which show a bell, looks like the South Western Bell logo but I think must be a coincidence.

Edit.. yes realised it would be the National Telephone Company logo.

17 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

My guess is that it's on North Circus street opposite Albert Hall and facing Derby road (going left to right across the picture where the horse is). The east end of Nottingham St Barnabas Cathedral on the left behind the wall. Those buildings across Derby Rd were all demolished when Tollhouse Hill was developed. The buildings far in the distance were demolished when Wollaton st was developed. The kiosk; there is a modern phone kiosk there now. 

More than a guess..I think you've nailed it there! The incline of the road duped me..first I thought Pelham St..then somewhere off Mansfield Road..both obviously no no's! The incline between Derby Rd & Wollaton St is spot on.. I have no recall of Wollaton St this high up..other than a mismatch of buildings circa 1980's..and a few long forgotten shops..would this road have been similar to Derby Rd at one time? 

14 hours ago, TBI said:

Yes, certainly looks like one but it appears very basic. As said, there has always been a box at that location. Phone boxes had started to appear around the town centre before the war but were usually bigger and had a telephone sign above. I wonder if that particular one might have been for police use at that time. 

Used that box to phone for a Taxi..Steve Hackett at the cathedral early nineties!