Two pubs , one on Lambourne Drive, one on Trowell Road Wollaton next to the new Waitrose.

I would like to know how many names changes each pub has had

Lambourne Drive,

Now The Wollaton . I can remember The Willoughby and The Glasshouse?

Trowell Road

The Kings Head (way way back)

The Roebuck

Now The Cavendish?

Were there any others?

Spent many an happy hour at the Admiral Rodney......my hubby's great gandparent's used to run the place in the mid 1800's when it was the Trading Post................The horses were changed there after long runs from the North, Midlands and the South of England..................My daughter had her first home in a cottage on Rectory Road next door.............Thought you might like to know that bit of useless information................

• Upvote 1

That must rank as one of the most boring pubs imagineable !

The Rose Grower was named after roses grown on Lowes Nurseries. Roses were grown there because of the soil and the fall out from Stanton by Dale kept the blight off the roses.

The site of this pub is now a care home.

The information about the Admiral Rodney IS NOT useless . It is informative. The pub used to have large signs on the building saying Home Ales.

If you carried on along the old road you came to the canal. Before the canal was built the pub there was The Kings Head also associated with horse driven coaches. I imagine miners used this public house.

The Balloon on Trowell Road became The Wollaton Arms before it was demolished to build (guess what?) houses.

The Admiral Rodney is interesting. I remember 9 pin bowling in one of the out buildings. I think I also read somewhere of a reading room containing books. The pub once belonged to the Willoughby estates and was sold off during the grand auction during the 1920s to Mr Jackson who was the sitting tenant. His son was the tenant at Aspley Hall which was also sold in the same auction.

In the 1960s we found it OK to drink there even though we were a trifle short of our 18th birthdays.

Its where I discovered that Dovecotes were for providing Doves to eat not just cause they looked pretty !

I remember going to the Admiral Rodney back in the early 60s. Sometimes used to go with my dad on Sundays.

Also, the Balloon House. My uncle and auntie (Fred and Ida Shepherd) used to live in Trowell Avenue.

The Rose Grower was a strange anomaly because that patch of land had been empty for such a long time till they finally got permission to build that pub. I think Hardy Hanson had wanted to open a pub there ever since the estate had been planned, but there was lots of local opposition to it so it just remained a patch of open ground for years.

It was also strange that there was a Co-Op opposite on the corner of Sandringham and Bankfield Drive. This apparently was put there because the Co-Op had previously had a mobile shop selling stuff on the newly-built estate.

(I think at one point it became a Laskys hi fi store !).

You're right about The Rose Grower being a boring pub. It was small and not very well frequented.

I wasn't suprised to see it shut in 2008.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We used to call in at the Admiral Rodney for a drink at the end of our evening horse ride .  My bosses husband used to have the riding stables there . "The paddocks " then they moved to Cotgrave when there was I think redevelopement along that road. When they moved the horses we went on a 2 hour ride to deliver the horses in their new home. Great days and evenings.