John Player factory fire - Radford or Hyson Green?

I am having a little bit of banter on another site regarding the exact location of the fire which caused such damage to the old John Player factory.

Basically there is a little contretemps as I think the factory is in Radford but another thinks it is in Hyson Green.

I am appealing to the greater minds of Nottingham to clarify and the experts on maps such as Cliff Ton (whose skills at producing maps of any era, almost instantly, I greatly admire)

• Upvote 1

To demonstrate my earlier point, I'm not sure exactly where the boundaries of Hyson Green are, but it certainly isn't on the west side of Alfreton Road; and that's where the fire was. The fire was in sand-coloured buildings which on this map are above the words Norton Street.

http://binged.it/1IDWHmD

• Upvote 1

My cousin is a fireman based at Highfields and has been working on the fire. He's done 4 x 12 hour shifts with no breaks in the past week. He says it's the biggest fire he's had to deal with in his time in the Fire Service (over 30 years)

• Upvote 3

I have always known it as Players Radford !

Does it really matter !!! zzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry catfan, I see your point !!!!!

It amazes me it's took so long to extinguish. God knows why !!!!

• Upvote 1

Anyway, it's definately Radford because I was born on Denman St. That's Radford !!!!

• Upvote 2

No offence meant with post #12. It is important that we clarify it.

I always thought the area to the right of Alfreton Rd going up from the Blue Star Garage was Radford, and the area to the left was Hyson Green. That's how it was when I lived on Bridlington St in the 50's.

I hope that's settled it !!!!

Basically there is a little contretemps as I think the factory is in Radford but another thinks it is in Hyson Green.

It would be interesting to know where "another" thinks the boundaries are between Hyson Green and Radford.

Nottingham City council has boundaries Radford defined to the east by Alfreton Road and to the South by Ilkeston Road so the Players factory site is definitely in Radford.

• Upvote 1

Cliff Ton

The "another" is someone I know from another forum. Its a military forum and this chap claims to have been in the same corps as me at approximately the same time. I have no recollection of him, nor anything near, and so I have my reservations. He claims to live in Hyson Green, but seems to have some problems with the basic geography of that area, or its landmarks. Any of them. Tram stops, pubs, supermarkets, vegetarian food shops (for like me, he is a vegetarian and there is very good vegetarian food to be found in Hyson Green)

He claimed to live within 200 meters of the Player's factory fire, yet lives in Hyson Green. This is not consistent with fact.

Is the damn thing out yet ? I didn't see any news last night.