Once in a while we witness one of life's poignant moments. For ten years or so, the fellow who has lived across the road from us for twenty years or more, has suffered with a brain tumour. For some years it did not seem too bad, though he had to finish working. But for the last two years or so his condition became serious, and it was obvious that one day it was going to be terminal. That day arrived last week. We came home from shopping and noticed a plain van on his drive, and knew it was all over.

From my window I watched the funeral people get into the van and move off the drive, revealing the wife watching, on the verge of tears, with her son's arm around her shoulder. As the van disappeared it all became too much for her and she turned and buried her face into her son's shoulder, unable to hold back.

How inappropriate and undignified it seemed to me that her last sight of her beloved husband leaving their home of many years was in the back of a van. But this is what happens when someone dies at home. It is the way of life and life can sometimes be dispassionate; but grief is surely nature's most wonderful characteristic quality.

• Upvote 16

I'd rather be carried out of my front door into a waiting van, than be spread across the M1 in bits. That's undignified !!!

• Upvote 7

I saw a body on the beach at Mablethorpe years ago. All blue and white and bloated. Horrible.

I've seen it happen to my own Dad and also to my wife's uncle who was more like a Dad to her. We cared for him in the last years of life watching him deteriorate to little more than a vegetable. We often went to bed in tears.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the funeral of our neighbour (above) yesterday. Quite different to the usual religious nonsense about houses with many mansions and how we will like it 'up there'. No religion at all in this one. I didn't have to try to sing. He was a big music fan and had picked out the tunes he wanted playing.

For the entry we had Bonnie Raitt singing I Can't Make You Love Me. After the reflections on his life we had Queen with You're My Best Friend. After the poem I only Wanted You, we had Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers singing Islands In The Stream. Then one of my favourites - apparently he loved monologues, so we heard Stanley Holloway reciting Albert and the Lion. He was also a bit of a ukulele man, so for the exit we had Joe Brown and I'll See You in My Dreams.

A funeral with a difference, and a nice send-off.

• Upvote 5

The Humanist funerals are much more pleasant than the religious ones. The last one I attended was for a friend. A speaker told his life story in brief and that was that. With a song to walk in to and one to walk out to, the funeral was complete and to the point.

• Upvote 4