• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just been reading again, this Local History Trail around Gedling. If you like to read about the Villages surrounding Nottingham, http://u3asites.org.uk/code/u3asite.php?site=458&page=23008y

Here is a picture that I have just found on PTP. I don't think we have seen it before, it is of a corner in Gedling that most of us Gedlingites know. The image is of the building prior to the Memorial

#1 Just spent some time reading that link carni, I can't get enough of those memories. From toddler to teenager my mind drifts back to the many happy times we shared. We didn't know about all this

I don't recall seeing strange beings around, when we used to play on the site of the Phoenix Farm Estate with SueB48, at a time when it was all fields and Ponds.in the 1950's.

It didn't take much to scare us and send us scurrying off home to our Mams. Lol

• Upvote 1

#1 Just spent some time reading that link carni, I can't get enough of those memories.

From toddler to teenager my mind drifts back to the many happy times we shared.

We didn't know about all this history then did we.

• Upvote 4

Yes Blores on Mansfield have a copy.

It,s a little pricey and needs a little TLC (back board needs attention

If you are interested in Gedling's history (Gedling Colliery covered) then it is worth getting, but be warned Blores are not cheap.

So carni the next time you visit Nottingham a wander up Mansfield Road would be in order. ;)

• Upvote 2

We spent most of today out visiting so I never made my phonecall to Blores. It's on my to do list for tomorrow now.

I hope I get chance to call in next time I come home. My main interests are...Gedling, Carlton and Netherfield. I am not actually a book collecter, just a moocher. Most of my books are what we have found on Car Boots and Second Hand shops. Always on the lookout for a bargain.

Carni there is also this book I know it's railways but it covers the area you're interested in.

There are some nice pictures & information of the railway companies(G.N.R &L.N.W.R.) housing & a little social history.

514iSvBE4sL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Upvote 1

We have been trying Blores throughout the afternoon with no luck. I imagine, if there is only one person serving it will be difficult to answer the phone. Will try next week, but I suspect he will be a bit to expensive for me! I will check first though!

#15 DaveN, Thanks for the info. That explains why no one answered the phone.

I have just spoken to someone on the phone and he explained that the other shop is closed while it has some work done on the building. He was in premises that looked out across Mansfield Rd towards Alfred St North. Mystery solved.

#16 Thanks for the link Dave. The little piece about Bonington House 79 high St Arnold holds some good memories for me. In my early teens my friends parents ran it when it was Arnold Labour Club. Spent many happy hours there.

I have just scanned through and will enjoy reading it properly later.

#3 Bubblewrap. Is it still possible to get the Book, and what is your opinion about it. Is it an enjoyable read.

Yes Blores on Mansfield Rd have a copy. It,s a little pricey and needs a little TLC (back board needs attention

If you are interested in Gedling's history (Gedling Colliery covered) then it is worth getting, but be warned Blores are not cheap.

I accidentally stumbled upon that very book in Blores (aka J & W) a couple of days ago, so if anyone is interested it's still for sale.

And "not cheap" is an accurate description. £60.

Thanks for the info Cliff Ton. It looks as though the owner is quite flexible with his book prices.

I phoned on the11th April and he quoted £40 down from £75, due to Internet access to the Book.

I'm afraid that as much as I like to read up on Gedling History, the Books are above what I could afford to pay. Probably very good value for avid Book Collectors. I would enjoy reading the Book once and then put it away for along time. I do enjoy researching on the internet, marvelous what you find, when you start delving.

• 1 year later...

Don’t hear much about the history of colwick. After all its mentioned in the dooms day book. Any body shed any light on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture that I have just found on PTP. I don't think we have seen it before, it is of a corner in Gedling that most of us Gedlingites know. The image is of the building prior to the Memorial Hall, it is dated about 1900, long before any of us were born. The front of the building was used as Kennels and the back was used for boys club meetings. Replaced by the "Memorial Hall" very dear to some of us.

memorial%20hall.png

• Upvote 5

Blimey, It's all fields and trees. It didn't take long to change that. Just think, after that date some places were built and have since been knocked down. Thank goodness for PTP. I remember along with SueB48, when there was no Estate, School, Grey Goose. I can see the Smithy was established, that was part of our childhood as well. That's gone as well. The Chesterfield has survived though. Had a fairly decent meal in there a couple of months ago, who would ever have thought in the 1950s that one day we would be able to get a cooked meal there. There was a time when we would have had to be satisfied with either...Plain Crisps, Cheese Crisps (with a little twisted bag of salt), or Nibbits.

• Upvote 3