Great pictures. Thanks Carni. To us, it was like the Memorial hall was always there. Special to me, for one. Had my wedding reception there in 65.

Thanks for the map Cliff. It refers to the church as "All Saints Church." Is that a mistake or was there a name change in the past. I had always thought it was All Hallows church.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just been reading again, this Local History Trail around Gedling. If you like to read about the Villages surrounding Nottingham, http://u3asites.org.uk/code/u3asite.php?site=458&page=23008y

Here is a picture that I have just found on PTP. I don't think we have seen it before, it is of a corner in Gedling that most of us Gedlingites know. The image is of the building prior to the Memorial

#1 Just spent some time reading that link carni, I can't get enough of those memories. From toddler to teenager my mind drifts back to the many happy times we shared. We didn't know about all this

Thanks for the map Cliff. It refers to the church as "All Saints Church." Is that a mistake or was there a name change in the past. I had always thought it was All Hallows church.

On all old maps it's referred to as All Saints until the mid-20th century, then it's always All Hallows.

And it seems that maybe it's interchangeable http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/gedling1908/church1.htm

• Upvote 2

See my post about Colwick locomotive depot(s) post #12

There is some social history in the book too

thanks Bubblewrap.....found this site....never new how little i new about a place i`ve lived in or lived around http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/colwick/contents.htm

#29 CliffTon, Thank you for answering something that has puzzled me about the name of the church for along while. I had noticed The All Saint and All Hallows title crop up quite often when I have been reading up about Gedling and the Church, and your right it could be that both titles are used sometimes.

As far as I know, all my life, since attending All Hallows Primary school, the Church and School were known as All Hallows, I have only become aware of the All Saints title through the Internet. Thank you for the link.

• Upvote 1

Funnily enough, FWIW. All Hallows Eve. (What we know as Halloween) is followed by All Saints day in the C of E church calendar, I think. Maybe thats where some of the confusion exists.

After all there has been a church there for a very long time. Not sure how old the present building is or how long it has stood. Probably well before Robin Hood's time.

Edited to add: Sorry, I should have read Cliff's link before I posted. A lot of questions are answered there. Thanks Cliff.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 8:55 PM, nippergrant said:

Don’t hear much about the history of colwick. After all its mentioned in the dooms day book. Any body shed any light on this.

Wasn't there once a pleasure gardens there, arrived at bu boat from, I believe, Trent Bridge?

The last time I was in the Memorial Hall was a family celebration in 1989 for my Grandmas 90th birthday. That was also the first time I had seen some relations on my paternal side for quite a few years and the last time I will ever see some of them.

The memorial hall was used for quite a few things from the All Hallows School, so I have quite a lot of memories connected to it, also it was the base for the village youth club, until the new one was built on Shearings Hill. I particularly remember the school christmas parties held there every year

I also went to many Jumble Sales held at the hall, some of them to raise funds for the youth club.

8 hours ago, Conway V said:

Wasn't there once a pleasure gardens there, arrived at bu boat from, I believe, Trent Bridge?

If you haven't already discovered them, there are several threads mentioning the subject.

colwick pleasure park - The Nottingham Forums

Colwick park ferry C.1907 - Page 3 - St Anns, Sneinton ...

Colwick Pleasure Park

pleasure park - St Anns, Sneinton & Colwick - Nottstalgia ...

pleasure park sneinton 1955 - St Anns, Sneinton ...

• Upvote 2

welcome conway V... thats right at the end of trent lane its the boat club now. i lived on colwick vale thats near the sluice gates farther down river

10 hours ago, Conway V said:

Does anyone else have fond memories of the Memorial Hall in the 1950s?

here is a history of gedling... http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/gedling1908/titlepage.htm

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/08/2016 at 10:01 AM, nippergrant said:

I have a copy of this book in my collection quite an extensive section on marriages in the church.

And nice piece on Gedling colliery.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

#6 SueB, I am the same, I am just about to start reading the link on #1 again, like you, I never tire of reading about Gedling. Just looking back to #23 and seeing the photo of the building prior to the memorial hall always surprises me. It never entered my head that the "Memorial Hall" hadn't always been there. The photo on #23 is dated 1900 and the building looks old. I would like to know if there was some other building in that spot prior to that? Must start delving.

On 4/8/2015 at 10:36 PM, sue B 48 said:

#1 Just spent some time reading that link carni, I can't get enough of those memories.

From toddler to teenager my mind drifts back to the many happy times we shared.

We didn't know about all this history then did we.

Sorry to say, I have just tried to get the Link that I put on #1 but it is not available now? There is plenty on this thread to keep me quiet for an hour or so though.

The school that stood on the site of the memorial hall was the church school .

In 1898 the school was "pronounced inadequate for modern requirements" . Earl Manvers donated land to the west of the village and a new school was built there .

The old school stood empty for some time until the Memorial Hall was built in 1924 . Duke of Portland laid the foundation stone and the building was paid for by Col. W.H.Blackburn .

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Carni  Love the photo of Gedling church c 1900 and the building before the memorial hall.  My gt grandparents John Godfrey and Emma Keywood married in All Hallows church in August 31st 1880.  I can now imagine them walking up the path to the church.  Being a bit dim but what is PTP? John and Emma lived at Park House in Carlton. Oh yes and nibbits, loved them!!

• Upvote 1

Angela Helen,  I'm really pleased that you have enjoyed the pictures, and you  can now see in your minds eye, your Gt G-parents walking the path up to the church, as quite a few of us Nottstalgians have walked that same path.

There is quite a bit of info on site about Gedling, the church and memorial hall, as well as the area your relations lived. I hope you enjoy reading up on our memories and welcome to Nottstalgia.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Katyjay and Carni   I have  looked on Picture the past before, senior moment!! .

I have read posts on here about the house opposite Park House where John's brother Samuel lived known in later life as the Godfrey House.  When Samuel's daughter Aileen Godfrey died the house was sold with a proviso on it  that it wasn't to be knocked down and re-developed within ten years of the purchase. Whoever bought the house sat on it for 10 years and then built flats as we know.  This is really rather sad as this is exactly what Samuel was trying to avoid. Although the house was in need of refurbishment  it was terrible to see it in such a sad state of repair for so many years. John and Samuel were not too lucky with their houses! 

Somebody posted this on the Nottingham Facebook page a few days ago, so I hope he doesn't mind me giving it a bigger audience. It's described as "Gedling church in the mist", so I presume people who know the area will be able to identify all the bits.

gedling%20ch_zps1o8idko4.jpg

• Upvote 3

Thank you CliffTon, I can't make out the location of the photographer from the angle and I'm trying not to make wild guesses, but because we are looking down to the church, I can only think of the top of the Phoenix Estate or the site of the New Country Park (Site of Gedling Pit). Someone will come to the rescue soon. Great picture, I'm sure the person wont mind sharing with us.

This will have been taken from within the Gedling Country Park, I was up there recently, it's coming on nicely, trees etc getting established and lovely to walk around.   

They are the two areas that I also thought Lizzie, but it is a few years since I saw the view from Digby and I have never been over the Country Park. The last time I was over that area I was probably scrambling around the Slag Heaps and fields and aged about 10yrs.