There are some stunning views from Gedling Country Park, I have noticed a wooden fence

at the very top so it could be there.

Never had a walk around the park carni! we'll have to sort that out.:rolleyes: 

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just been reading again, this Local History Trail around Gedling. If you like to read about the Villages surrounding Nottingham, http://u3asites.org.uk/code/u3asite.php?site=458&page=23008y

Here is a picture that I have just found on PTP. I don't think we have seen it before, it is of a corner in Gedling that most of us Gedlingites know. The image is of the building prior to the Memorial

#1 Just spent some time reading that link carni, I can't get enough of those memories. From toddler to teenager my mind drifts back to the many happy times we shared. We didn't know about all this

I think the picture was taken from somewhere near where the beacon was lit celebrating the Queens birthday. 

I was there to watch the beacon lit. Great views. 

• 2 weeks later...

just out of interest I lived in first ave off priory road from when I was a baby 1948 till about 1958 ish I went to Priory Rd school for  that time , My aunt milly used to keep Allits shop on the corner of FirstAve I can remember Dave Blake  ,Marilyn Pearce Clive Leadbeater and the worthingtons who lived on Priory Rd ,I wonder if any one on here had crossed paths with me ?

Swe62, My friend and I often used to get off the number 25 on Westdale Lane about 8.20am and call for our friend Vivienne, who lived on Priory Road, on our way to school (C le W)  so I would have walked past First Avenue.  This was between 1954 and 1957.  (I think we only did this in the first 3 years of school as she moved into a different form after that and we became less close). I do still correspond with her by email, though - she lives in Canada now.

Can't  remember seeing any little 6-9 year old boys around, but there again, I probably wouldn't have been very interested in little boys!

swe62, I'm pretty sure we must have at some time been in the same place at the same time,  I was born Chatsworth ave 1948, and then lived on Hardys Drive until moving onto the estate in about 1959. We used your aunts shop on a regular basis, as i'm pretty sure sueB48 would remember  as well, seeing as we were almost inseparable at that time.

I think I have put this in another thread but can't remember the title? One of my favorite things that I used to buy from your aunts shop was. little sweet rice paper eggs, cost about 2d, after eating the egg, there would be a little novelty inside, (Elf and Safety would soon spoil that these days) also Jubbly's, and i think she sold home made suckers, but my memory is a bit dicey at best!

If you went to the youth club at the memorial hall, that is another place, we could have met, or hanging off the railings around the dairy on Westdale Lane.

Chatsworth Ave had Lawrences shop on the corner if I recall properly my aunt used to live opposite at no 40 with my cousins Beryl and Miriam who used to torment me into rages ! I also had cousins who lived on Westdale Cres Alan ,Aline and Sheila Wheatley

• 1 month later...

BUMP

I've been at it again! Browsing that is!  :rolleyes: Got your attention then 'Dint I'. Haha.

I have just enjoyed viewing these images of Gedling and around the area. For anyone who would like to see some of the streets again from the comfort of your armchair, here's your chance. Many, you will have seen, bur it not ot to check em aaht agen miducks. Quite a few of the pics are special to me as I have lots of memories surrounding them. If you click on a picture there will be a little information printed across the bottom of the picture. Hope they stir up a little bit of nostalgia for some of you.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Gedling,_Nottinghamshire

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Two new benches erected in the park, commemorating the miners from the pit. 

Must try out that recently opened cafe too. Full English hopefully !

I used to walk up Wood Lane to school, after walking from the 25 bus stop at the bottom of Westdale Lane.  

That little cottage on the right was called Rose Cottage. I always said to my husband that if I got the chance to come back to Nottingham...that is the house I would want. It was so pretty in the summer when all the flowers were out..............Then they modernised it and burst my bubble.

• Like 1

I can’t get my bearings on those photos.  Are they taken from the wide area at the bottom of Wood Lane?  If so then that’s where all the school buses stopped to drop us off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon.  My uncle had a corner shop for a while in the 70s, just down Shearing Hill on the right hand side.  

• Like 1
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:01 PM, IAN123. said:

Gedling-_Colliery-_Coal-_Mine-_Archive-_

These lads were unnecessarily shat on a few years later.

All very sad............ And we let it happen.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

I can’t get my bearings on those photos.  Are they taken from the wide area at the bottom of Wood Lane?  If so then that’s where all the school buses stopped to drop us off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon.  My uncle had a corner shop for a while in the 70s, just down Shearing Hill on the right hand side.  

I had a problem, too, as there doesn't seem to be any space for Shearing Hill in the top picture.  Was Shearing Hill just an unmade track or something?

All our miners were let down, but the prime reason, what ever political persuasion you follow was the Clean Air Act. Subsequently, every authority jumped on the bandwagon.

52 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

31 minutes ago, MargieH said:

I had a problem, too, as there doesn't seem to be any space for Shearing Hill in the top picture.  Was Shearing Hill just an unmade track or something?

It took me a while to work it out when I first saw it. The photographer was standing in what is now the front garden of this house.

iQOCZJ0.jpg

Thanks CT, it’s all clear to me now. The buses lined up where those cars are parked and we walked under the railway bridge.  I’ve got a photo somewhere of me sitting with a friend on a garden wall of a house on the far left of that photo.  Both in school uniform. smile2

It threw me for a while as well. I remember as we drove to the top of Shearings Hill the cottage was more or less opposite on the bend. It is clearer on the photo of the modernised cottage. I guessed the old cottage picture must have been taken from a different angle.

Is the modernised cottage picture taken looking down Shearings Hill and the Old cottage one taken looking the other way up past the old post office towards the Memorial Hall. Just a Thought.?

Just take no notice of me????

55 minutes ago, carni said:

Is the modernised cottage picture taken looking down Shearings Hill and the Old cottage one taken looking the other way up past the old post office towards the Memorial Hall.

Carni, have you noticed the later up-to-date photo which I posted, showing the photographer's position in what is now a front garden ?    Both the photos in my original post are looking the same way - towards the old post office. You can't actually see Shearing Hill in the old one; the photographer is elevated and the road is behind-and-below the wooden fence on the left.

• Like 1