Yes cliffTon Miduck I got it in the end. Sorry, I got confused. I know that little area quite well, I think I was having a senior blonde moment. I had a friend who lived in one of the houses on the left, just out of the photo, going down towards the cricket field, Burton Road and we played together often, called at her house many times, I just couldn't get my bearings. I got the bit about Shearing hill being below and behind the fence but for some reason I couldn't link the two pics. Anyway thanks for your patience and I'll shurrup naah.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just been reading again, this Local History Trail around Gedling. If you like to read about the Villages surrounding Nottingham, http://u3asites.org.uk/code/u3asite.php?site=458&page=23008y

Here is a picture that I have just found on PTP. I don't think we have seen it before, it is of a corner in Gedling that most of us Gedlingites know. The image is of the building prior to the Memorial

#1 Just spent some time reading that link carni, I can't get enough of those memories. From toddler to teenager my mind drifts back to the many happy times we shared. We didn't know about all this

That's what I thought CT but I still can't see where Shearing Hill is in the old photo (shouldn't it be going off on the left of where the photographer was standing)

sorry, I've just seen subsequent posts. ... just ignore what I've said

I loved that corner into Wood Lane as I used to use my racing bike to get to school and could build up enough speed on the bike to take the corner at full pelt, which gave enough momentum to get up the hill at a decent speed.

Not visible in the modern pic is a bungalow which used to be owned by a fellow Sherwood CC cyclist, Derek Long, who owned a building company and was known to turn up to races in either a Bentley or RR (can't now remember which)

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

11 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

I knew two families  from Gedling 40 years ago : moss and Morley ..

No?!!!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

During our childhood in the 50s, the big house on the corner behind the road sign was just a ruin. We spent many days playing around in the garden and the remains of the house. It was a doll factory of some kind at one stage and remnants of broken dolls would be found scattered around. These days Health and Safety would have had the place made out of bounds, but not in those days, it kept us local children happy playing amongst the rubble.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I used reins on our middle child as the youngest was in the pushchair and the 4 year old walked sensibly holding on to the side of the pushchair.  The trouble was he thought it was a game and sometimes used to lift his feet up and try and swing on the reins!  My walk to the shops at that time in my life was quite complicated.... I also had  the dog on a lead.   I often wonder how I managed - certainly couldn't do it now!

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...