Black holes & quantum physics.

I always wonder how nature has somehow caused us to develop into beings who can think and ask questions of ourselves about the universe and time etc etc.

A bit weird really, over time we have been cleverly formed from the basic bits & pieces of the universe into a set of clever bits & pieces that end up thinking about the original bits & pieces....

On that thought I going to take the dogs for a walk, I wonder if they think about it?

One of the dogs is called Alfie, I'll ask him if he knows what it's all about......

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the usual Sunday afternoon pint with my physicist and scientific pals it was decided that I did have a purpose in life after all. If we were shipwrecked and in a lifeboat with no means of navigat

I remember when I was only nine or ten, sitting in a classroom looking out of the window and wondering - for the first time - whether I was really there or was all my life a dream, and how could I kno

Schroedinger holds no mystery in this household. If there's a box, there's always a cat in it. That's a probability of 1. When I receive a wine delivery, there are usually 2 boxes...one inside the oth

Colly me old mate.........have you thought about having a look at that one in 'Calcutta' :)

and you 'Smiffy' lol.

• Upvote 1

# 52 Benjamin.

Nope never thought of looking at that black hole, it might suck me in & I'd never be seen again..

# 51 Smithy.

I often wonder why we're the only species that have evolved to ask these questions. Does a cat or dog wonder what the stars are when they look at the sky? They'd probably spit or bark at them not knowing that the stars would never hear them because of the vacuum of space..

• Upvote 2

'We might be lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars'. A little philosophical gem from Oscar Wilde.

• Upvote 3

I always wonder how nature has somehow caused us to develop into beings who can think and ask questions of ourselves about the universe and time etc etc.

You can sometimes see people in certain parts of Nottingham who may not yet have reached that stage :happy:

• Upvote 1

Re #54 been there a few times chulla.

• Upvote 1

I remember when I was only nine or ten, sitting in a classroom looking out of the window and wondering - for the first time - whether I was really there or was all my life a dream, and how could I know for certain one way or another. It was such an original thought for me that the moment is still fresh in my memory. Of course, I later found out that everyone/most people? have had that same thought at some time in their lives. I still love thinking about 'Life, the Universe and Everything' but have managed to make more sense of it now, through my belief in a Creator. So despite the vastness of space and the complexity/uncertainty of life here on earth, I believe there is a purpose to it all...

• Upvote 6

Margie !!!! I am not alone at last . My rationale is that i am on a bus facing backwards looking out the rear windscreen and that i am viewing my life thats has already happened- herself says i should take more water with it. I have had the same thoughts as you- Collie i am fascinated by dark matter and am uncertain too. I have a theory that there is stuff- invisable barbs tearing around the place. Another thing- how come i can exactly remember a conversation with Jimmy Guthrie in 1971 in the toilets at the Cathedral youth club whilst Wet Dream by Max Romeo was playing? No point anyone saying "get a life Ian"- i have lived it already!!

#56 colly. Were the stars you saw as a result of hitting your head on the kerb on the way down?

You will find the answer to the universe in my posting 'Chulla's Quantum Conjecture' in Owt Abaaht Note, 7 December last year. Sorry, don't know how to put the link to it.

• Upvote 1

Ian, I suppose we're all sitting on a 'bus facing backwards' as we can only see what has already happened in our life, but I like the analogy. As long the Driver on my bus knows where he's going, I'm content to just enjoy the view! Have you always been a bit of a philosopher? Btw, I too can remember word for word some conversations I've had in my life and the exact situations surrounding them - I suppose they must have been significant at the time for us to remember them, even though some of them seem unimportant now. Nice to read your post...

#59. Sorry colly, I should have aimed my remark at FLY2, not you.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Some folks on the science blogs sites are getting into a tizzy, speculating that the Large Hadron Collider will produce a wimpzilla & destroy the earth & even the universe now it's running with more power. If wimpzilla's do exist, (big if, they are predicted by some theories, but they've never been observed or proved to exist) then they must have existed since the big bang & so far they haven't caused us any harm. Calm down folks..

It's the bigger brother of the WIMP. (Weakly Interacting Massive Particle) A WIMPZILLA is several orders of magnitude bigger than a WIMP, & it could (if it's ever proved to exist) explain dark matter & dark energy. All fascinating stuff.. :)

I've worked with a few Wimpzilla's.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...

I've a suspicion that brains & biology in general use quantum tunneling, quantum superposition & quantum entanglement. These things seem totally impossible according to common sense & intuition in my brain, but they have all been observed to be happening. How? I have no idea but there is something weird going on in nature...