Black holes & quantum physics.

Chulla #226.  We have a similar sort of argument about temperature and physical/chemical activity at Absolute Zero.

We can't get there either.

Col

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the usual Sunday afternoon pint with my physicist and scientific pals it was decided that I did have a purpose in life after all. If we were shipwrecked and in a lifeboat with no means of navigat

I remember when I was only nine or ten, sitting in a classroom looking out of the window and wondering - for the first time - whether I was really there or was all my life a dream, and how could I kno

Schroedinger holds no mystery in this household. If there's a box, there's always a cat in it. That's a probability of 1. When I receive a wine delivery, there are usually 2 boxes...one inside the oth

The original Star Trek series was a load of phooey, but it was imaginative phooey. There was lots of pre-quantum ideas and theories that perhaps don't seem so daft these days.

And it was fun entertainment, as well as tackling all sorts of social issues through the medium of sc-fi.

Col

You're right Ian.  I keep seeing the accident happening as if  in slow motion but the bang was more of a dull crumple/scrunch.  Then Paul said 'sugar' yes, really, that was all he said...

Following your 'HERE' link, I've just read the 'debate' and have still come to the conclusion that the earth is a sphere!  Interesting to read what other people think, though..

When a supernova goes 'POP' it emits high energy particles (cosmic rays) at very near light speed, however those going in diametrically opposite directions away from the 'POP' will be going away from each other at faster than light speed, but, nowt can go faster than light according to Mr E. I'm going for a lie down now..

• Upvote 1

Another thing I refuse to believe is that the outer planets, some of which are merely gas and not solid, are influenced by the sun's gravity pull. The sun to them is a mere shining star. Also, if the sun's gravity has been pulling on us for millions of years, then why hasn't it dragged us into it before now? Is there a fourth dimension making all this happen, or rather preventing it happening?

Colly, your twice the speed of light theory does not hold up. The particles are travelling at the speed of light. The difference between their velocity is twice the speed of light, just an illustrative figure, not a physical fact.

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

It's also dangerously overcrowded with beings who have little or no respect for it! :(

Very true Jill...................just look at Aleppo..........and the poor Kids...................

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Chulla said:

Colly, your twice the speed of light theory does not hold up. The particles are travelling at the speed of light. The difference between their velocity is twice the speed of light, just an illustrative figure, not a physical fact.

Can you explain that more clearly Chulla? - otherwise I will be going for a lie down with Colly.

• Upvote 1

Er, I'll try (but I'm no Stephen Hawkin or Brian Cox - what do they know!). If two cars speed away from each other at 50 mph, their velocity difference is 100 mph, but nothing is actually travelling at 100 mph. It's called the Chulla paradox.

I rest my case.

• Upvote 1

Wrong Chulla................the space between the two cars is travelling at 100 mph..............I think.........lol.

• Upvote 1

As James Burke said "everything is relative to each other!" I Suppose that's why Mr E called his theory "relativity,"

ICYMI scientists think they may have found a 5'th fundamental force to go along with the 4 we know about, (gravity, electro-magnetic, strong & weak) it's a boson that could explain 'dark matter' & other mysteries. It's called the 'protophobic X boson, it interacts with electrons & neutrons at very short range... 

6 hours ago, Chulla said:

Er, I'll try (but I'm no Stephen Hawkin or Brian Cox - what do they know!). If two cars speed away from each other at 50 mph, their velocity difference is 100 mph, but nothing is actually travelling at 100 mph. It's called the Chulla paradox.

I rest my case.

So a light from the back of one of the cars that is travelling at the speed of light will never catch up with the other car due to time, but relatively they are parting at twice the speed of light, which is impossible. Right?

• Upvote 1

It's a paradox I think. I know that when 2 things are moving away from each other the light waves between them are stretched (red shifted) to a lower frequency. What happens when the speed between the things moving away from the central thing gets to higher than light speed? You'd think the frequency would go negative, but AFAIK that can't happen, so I suppose the light from one thing would never catch up with the other, so they'd no longer exist to each other as far as each is concerned. No sleep for me tonight & it's all Chulla's fault, lol. :)

• Upvote 2

Many years ago I awoke suddenly in the night and exclaimed 'That's it, that's it!. I grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil and wrote down - E equals em cee squared. I sent this off to a chap in the swiss patent office to see what he thought of it. He got back to me saying 'Mein Got! I think you have something there Mr Chulla. Call it Chulla's paradox until I think of a better name'. I never heard from him again. You do believe me Colly and PP, don't you.'

• Upvote 1