Black holes & quantum physics.

I see in Scientific American that LIGO (the gravity wave detector) has spotted 2 black holes merging in a Galaxy 3 billion light years away. This cataclysmic event actually shook the the fabric of spacetime itself & sent gravity waves racing towards us at the speed of light. I'm so glad I exist while these fantastic discoveries are being made in the scientific world..

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the usual Sunday afternoon pint with my physicist and scientific pals it was decided that I did have a purpose in life after all. If we were shipwrecked and in a lifeboat with no means of navigat

I remember when I was only nine or ten, sitting in a classroom looking out of the window and wondering - for the first time - whether I was really there or was all my life a dream, and how could I kno

Schroedinger holds no mystery in this household. If there's a box, there's always a cat in it. That's a probability of 1. When I receive a wine delivery, there are usually 2 boxes...one inside the oth

I'd be immortal if I could exist for ever, be interesting though. I expect the atoms I'm made of will last a few more billion years, I expect they'll eventually get sucked into a black hole & then quantum physics & relativity will meet & I have zero idea what will happen then. If quantum superposition & relativity come together in a black then I suppose everything could be everywhere at the same time, & as spacetime is sort of coiled up on itself then time could go backwards, that'd be fun wouldn't it?

• Upvote 1

I am a practical man. Having read SF and the NS (I bought the first issue) since I was a teenager I need to put things into an observed and imagined perspective. I doubt if we as mere humans can grasp the 'big order' of things.

I imagine a sea with waves that change direction and strength with the tides and wind, I then imagine another sea going vertically to the first sea that is changing with winds and tide. The axis' of the two seas are constantly changing dependent on their relative forces.. Over the aeons the same state of winds, tide and axis' is repeated. 

Very simplistic but it helps me not to be too overawed. Anyone got a better idea?

I agree PP. As mere humans, perhaps we can't grasp the bigger order of things. However, perhaps only part of us is merely human and there is more to each of us than mere flesh and blood.

• Upvote 1

Interesting ideas, PP.   I like the imagery you have used....

just seen Jill's post...  I like the last sentence, Jill but would add that I believe there is also a Creator, who is over all ....

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking when AI gets going proper & starts expanding exponentially then the "sky's the limit" as they say. Thing that worries me is what happens when AI starts to manipulate & order us about... Me? I'd just pull the plug out..

• 4 months later...

When/if we discover teleportation then all other beings in the universe who'd also discovered it would come here to visit us. There would be so many of them that their combined mass would be so great that the earth would turn into a black hole, this would probably be bad news for us..

To check out Nottingham to see if it's all true what they've read on the nottstalgia website of course

Rog

• Like 1

They might want to if they had heard about a breakfast at Bulwell Wetherspoons -where I shall be this morning.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, colly0410 said:

When/if we discover teleportation then all other beings in the universe who'd also discovered it would come here to visit us. There would be so many of them that their combined mass would be so great that the earth would turn into a black hole, this would probably be bad news for us..

But they may only have a very small mass compared with humans - like a speck of dust....  looking at the dusting I need to do in my house, I reckon they're here already!

• Like 3

I like your style Jill, get the kitties to slide around on hard surfaces then just give them a shake out of the window,job done

Rog

• Like 1

As a youngster Margie I remember a radio play about just that. the plot revolved around one scientist who assured the visitors we could be trusted....bla blah.. much discussion about our civilisations problems. Eventually he talked them down but  could not see the them on radar, only when it was too late did he realise they almost microscopic and had landed in a field, never to be found. Weird how some things stick in your mind.

• Like 1

What would happen if  spacecraft landed in the middle of a town/city and it just happened that there were no people around, only a load of feral cats. Would they think 'Wow, just look at this place that they have created'.

10 hours ago, Chulla said:

What would happen if  spacecraft landed in the middle of a town/city and it just happened that there were no people around, only a load of feral cats. Would they think 'Wow, just look at this place that they have created'.

The cats would probably eat them. Our brainless cat would bring them in the house & drop them at out feet, well that's what he does with owt else he finds..

• Like 1