Black holes & quantum physics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the usual Sunday afternoon pint with my physicist and scientific pals it was decided that I did have a purpose in life after all. If we were shipwrecked and in a lifeboat with no means of navigat

I remember when I was only nine or ten, sitting in a classroom looking out of the window and wondering - for the first time - whether I was really there or was all my life a dream, and how could I kno

Schroedinger holds no mystery in this household. If there's a box, there's always a cat in it. That's a probability of 1. When I receive a wine delivery, there are usually 2 boxes...one inside the oth

Hello colly0410, how are you sleeping these days?

This should be termed 'Quantum Mathematics'

In the following, D means distance, T means time and M means Mirror.

FACT 1: The speed of light is 186,282 miles per second.

FACT 2: A mile is 5820 feet.

FACT 3: Two mirrors facing each other will continually multiply an image in between them.

Scenario: A person stands 10 feet (D1) in front of a mirror (M1). 10 feet behind him is another mirror (M2) reflecting what M1 sees (D2).

FACT 4: The time taken for person's image to reach M1 is the time light travels10 feet. (T1)

FACT 5: The time taken for the image in M1 to travel to M2 is T2, ie, twice T1.

Question 1: How many times would the image be reflected in one second? In other words, would that number be equal to 186,282 miles when the distances between reflections are added up?

Question 2: Are the distances in the reflected images 10 feet or 20 feet, or is there a hidden factor that I have not foreseen?

I do not know the answer, being a secondary modern school lad, but anyone who went to High Pavement, Forest Fields Grammar School or Manning should be able to work it out. Should be easy-meat for Colly.

I'll work it out when I'm not so tired...

Been thinking: when the past ceases to be the past it instantly turns into the future, so the length of now is infinitely small, so now doesn't really exist. But our brains make us feel as though now has a length of time & does exist, & when you have a mega stressful experience time seems to slow down. Brain scientists don't understand how this happens. I wonder if other animals experience the sensation of now? Our cat Pix sleeps, eats & sits on the garage roof staring at passers by, oh yeah & every now & then he goes berserk & charges about like a nutter, but does he have a now?

• Like 1

The numbers are impossibly big without using scientific notation and I don't know how to do superscript in the forum. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

10 hours ago, colly0410 said:

when you have a mega stressful experience time seems to slow down. 

During the London blitz, a warden was patrolling the area near Broadcasting House as the bombs were falling. It was pitch black. His eye caught sight of something falling down a roof and on to the ground. His curiosity made him move toward it. It was a land mine on the end of a parachute. As he neared it, it exploded. Somehow he survived despite being blown across the road resulting in  severe injuries and deafness. He recalled the incident and said that as he approached it he saw a blue ring slowly approaching him. So, although the explosion was instant, he saw it as a slow-motion event.

• Upvote 1
On 11/3/2017 at 7:44 AM, Chulla said:

When I got rammed by an 8 wheeled lorry time seemed to slow down, I remember spinning the steering wheel to avoid going into a spin but was in slow motion. Lorry driver said he didn't see me as my car was too small & in his blind spot. Insurance paid up OK..

• 2 weeks later...

I have just re-read this thread from post one.  Took me over an hour, but maybe it didn't because time is relative, right?

I don't have to worry about my car going faster than the speed of light.  It's a Ford!

The big bang never happened 'cos there's nowt to go bang.

Cats built slab square.

I can't project Bailey anywhere, 'cos he's black.   He does teleport, however.  I've seen him do it.  More accurately, I've thought he was next to me and all of a sudden he's on the other side of the garden.

I'm about to go to bed.  Unlke Colly I'm planning to sleep unless woken by an alien I cannot see who'se flying saucer was eaten by a dog and now exists in a dog turd lying outside in the yard.

Ain't science great?  :crazy:

In spite of what you may think based on this post I do not drink.  LOL.   Nite Y'all.

• Like 3

Yes Jill and I think some of the public think it's a litter tray as well judging by the smell at the opposite end to the council house

Rog

SWMBO said she knows why the 2 slit experiment has banding when a single electron or photon is fired at it = "they have (I presume she means the electrons & photons) a split personality like some humans!" I fell about laughing & got shouted at. I had to keep stopping it to try & explain sumat, I'm watching next weeks episode on my own if I can, lol..

• Like 1

There was a full time attendant, don't know his name but I think he lived St Ann's way cos he used to call in me Gran's café. And yes, they we're kept clean. Looking from the council house, it wu gells to the left of the steps and lad's ta the right.

• Like 2

My guess is that the reasoning would be something like this.

1.    We don't want to pay an attendant

2.    This could then become a hot-spot for crime.

3.    Answer---Close 'em down and deprive everybody of the convenience.  Seem to be a worldwide attitude today.

They did have at one time an unattended super loo on the top of Carlton Hill. I think they've also replaced the pissoirs in Paris with these. Apparently when you have finished and exited the whole place swills down at high pressure. Imagine being caught in a malfunction in one of these!smile2

• Like 2

Partly my fault I guess.  Sorry!   It all grew out of slab square which was mentioned in the thread.  From there to underground bogs and the rest as they say is history.  I'm sure Colly will pull it back for us once he's had a night's sleep.  ;)

Last night on BBC4 an excellent programme: The Secrets of Quantum Physics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04tr9x9

The link is to iPlayer. Well worth watching.

Also my son sent me a link to a Youtube clip: Christmas songs for scientists. The last part is funny and very clever., starting at about 2 minutes 10 seconds: O Black-holy night! 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwibl-aeiP7XAhWTF8AKHTgLD7cQtwIIJzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DH6hpJzK5vUo&usg=AOvVaw2R87Gx3uP_U-0DWxWEANry

• Like 1