Black holes & quantum physics.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the usual Sunday afternoon pint with my physicist and scientific pals it was decided that I did have a purpose in life after all. If we were shipwrecked and in a lifeboat with no means of navigat

I remember when I was only nine or ten, sitting in a classroom looking out of the window and wondering - for the first time - whether I was really there or was all my life a dream, and how could I kno

Schroedinger holds no mystery in this household. If there's a box, there's always a cat in it. That's a probability of 1. When I receive a wine delivery, there are usually 2 boxes...one inside the oth

I'll shine my torch out of the bedroom window. Will that help !  :flyswat:

Actually, it just goes to show how minuscule we really are.

• Like 1

Fascinating program. The volume of data was truly stunning - millions of gigabytes on a lorry load of hard discs. And the atomic clock that was developed! Accurate to within 1 second over 10 million years!! Mind boggling. Old Albert will still be smiling....

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

In New Scientist that they discovered that anti-matter sub atomic anti-particles have particle/wave duality, so would the wave be an anti-wave? Oh dear, I'll be thinking about that in bed tonight if I can't sleep...

• 2 months later...

In science daily today... 'Einstein's right - for now'... A star orbiting near the massive black hole at the centre of our galaxy is doing exactly as Einstein's general relativity predicts it should. But they're saying general relativity can't be right as it doesn't predict what will happen when the star is gobbled up by the black hole. They're watching the star hoping it gets gobbled soon so they can see what happens, & see if general relativity still fly's, or if it crashes & burns. They have no idea when the star gobbling will take place...

• 2 weeks later...

I lay in bed thinking last night.... If a black hole can have a quantum superposition, & that superposition means said black hole can be in two places at once, then I speculate that the mass of the each BH would be halved as the mass would be shared out between them. If the mass of each BH is less than the BH forming mass then would the two superposition'd BH's then no longer be BH's? I'm wondering if this phenomena could explain gamma ray bursts or fast radio bursts as they could be superposition pair black holes going "POP." If however the mass isn't halved, or extreme gravitational fields prevents superposition then my hypothesis has turned to dust....

• Upvote 2

Getting a bit worried, that last post makes some sense! I tend to lay in bed wondering why I am not asleep yet.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, colly0410 said:

If a black hole can have a quantum superposition,

Look up Schrodingers equation and you will be able to calculate it if your hypothesis holds...    ;)

• Like 1

Schrodingers equations take some working out, lol.... I'm wondering if a black hole is of such infinite smallness that some other sort of physics beyond quantum physics takes over? How we'd ever be able to prove this I have zero idea. I'm trying to get my head round the concept of 'infinite smallness,' you'd think there's a limit to how small something can be, but then when you think about it in a common sense sort of way you can always go a bit smaller.... I sometimes look at my cat Pix & wonder if he thinks about quantum physics & black holes, I wonder??? 

• Upvote 1

Schroedinger holds no mystery in this household. If there's a box, there's always a cat in it. That's a probability of 1. When I receive a wine delivery, there are usually 2 boxes...one inside the other...containing 12 bottles. Therefore, there will be two boxes each with a cat inside. That is also a probability of 1.  If I decide to push the boat out and order 24 bottles, there will be 4 boxes and herein lies the problem. I only have 3 cats! As a result, one box must be empty. Another probability of 1.

However, if we assume that the cats who have passed on now exist in another dimension,box number 4 may not be empty at all. In fact, there may be several cats in each box, the permutations of which could be considerable.

Cats, by the way, do not concern themselves with such theories. They are well aware that their owners are way down the pecking order when it comes to intelligence. Meeeow! :rolleyes: and as for maths teachers formerly in receipt of far too much remuneration from the Manning School...my only regret is that there was no box large enough for her!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Jill, what wine do you drink ?  I think it could cheer me up !

• Upvote 1

What about the infinite improbability drive

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy's entry on the drive also states that it was invented "following research into finite improbability, which was often used to break the ice at parties by making all the molecules in the hostess' undergarments leap one foot simultaneously to the left, in accordance with the theory of indeterminacy". It further explains that many respectable physicists wouldn't stand for that sort of thing, "partly because it was a debasement of science, but mostly because they didn't get invited to those sort of parties."

• Like 2

Improbability is alive and well and all around us. It is highly improbable that you will win the Lottery. It is also equally improbable your neighbour will win. The lottery is won regularly,  therefore It is probable that someone will win. If we keep looking long enough and eliminate the improbabilites it's probable we will come across the next jackpot winner....  now you can pinch his ticket     :victory:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If something is not totally impossible then it can & will happen somewhere sometime in the universe no matter how improbable it is. It's pretty improbable that I'd win an argument with my wife but one day it will happen, probably sometime in the next 42 trillion years...  

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I put on my Facebook page that I was trying to work out how insulated gate bipolar transistors (IGBT's) work, John (Ayupmeducks) replied "don't even go there Steve!" However I did go there: I was told on my army radio operators course that electrons went one way & holes the other in semiconductors. Been reading some advanced stuff & they actually work by almost pure quantum physics using a lot of quantum tunneling & other quantum effects for them to work, seems just about all electronic gubbins run on quantum physics from LED torch's all the way to supercomputers.... 

Her name was Paula, she lived in Top Valley & worked at the Royal Hunt pub. It didn't end well as a couple of weeks later she was supposed to be working so I went to the Welfare on my own, I coped of with Tracy from Bulwell Hall, Paula's boss told her she could go as not busy,  she came to Welfare & caught me with Tracy, there was shouting & fuss & I was dumped in the middle of the dance floor & that was that, lol...