Black holes & quantum physics.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the usual Sunday afternoon pint with my physicist and scientific pals it was decided that I did have a purpose in life after all. If we were shipwrecked and in a lifeboat with no means of navigat

I remember when I was only nine or ten, sitting in a classroom looking out of the window and wondering - for the first time - whether I was really there or was all my life a dream, and how could I kno

Schroedinger holds no mystery in this household. If there's a box, there's always a cat in it. That's a probability of 1. When I receive a wine delivery, there are usually 2 boxes...one inside the oth

I'd forgotten how funny it was;

Bluebottle What time is it Eccles?
Eccles Err, just a minute. I, I've got it written down 'ere on a piece of paper. A nice man wrote the time down for me this morning.
Bluebottle Ooooh, then why do you carry it around with you Eccles?
Eccles Well, umm, if a anybody asks me the ti-ime, I ca-can show it to dem.
Bluebottle Wait a minute Eccles, my good man...
Eccles What is it fellow?
Bluebottle It's writted on this bit of paper, what is eight o'clock, is writted.
Eccles I know that my good fellow. That's right, um, when I asked the fella to write it down, it was eight o'clock.
Bluebottle Well then. Supposing when somebody asks you the time, it isn't eight o'clock?
Eccles Ah, den I don't show it to dem.
Bluebottle Ooohhh...
Eccles [Smacks lips] Yeah.
Bluebottle Well how do you know when it's eight o'clock?
Eccles I've got it written down on a piece of paper!
Bluebottle Oh, I wish I could afford a piece of paper with the time written on.
Eccles Oohhhh.
Bluebottle 'Ere Eccles?
Eccles Yah.
Bluebottle Let me hold that piece of paper to my ear would you? - 'Ere. This piece of paper ain't goin'.
Eccles What? I've been sold a forgery!
Bluebottle No wonder it stopped at eight o'clock.
Eccles Oh dear.
Bluebottle You should get one of them tings my grandad's got.
Eccles Oooohhh?
Bluebottle His firm give it to him when he retired.
Eccles Oooohhh.
Bluebottle It's one of dem tings what it is that wakes you up at eight o'clock, boils the kettil, and pours a cuppa tea.
Eccles Ohhh yeah! What's it called? Um.
Bluebottle My granma.
Eccles Ohh... Ohh, ah wait a minute. How does she know when it's eight o'clock?
Bluebottle She's got it written down on a piece of paper!
  • Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...

Been reading in New Scientist about 'electric bacteria.'  These are bugs that feed on & excrete electrons, they don't need oxygen to survive, they're found in very low oxygen environments. They have been found on electrodes carrying a low voltage. They're speculating that some of them live off ground currents that flow through the earth. I'm presuming the ground currents would need to be DC & not AC like you'd get from earth leakages from electrical power distribution systems & the SWER (single wire earth return) power line systems they use in some rural areas of Australia & New Zealand...

The currents you are referring to are the Telluric currents that have many causes and flow with the earth and also upwards towards the sun. On a fine,clear day about 2 picoamps per sq mtr go skywards...

• Like 1

Thanks for that info Brew, I couldn't think what they were called......... Been thinking: The tram uses 750 volts DC, the overhead wire is positive & the grounded rails are negative, I'm presuming some of the DC current leaks into the ground & there is the free din-dins for the electric bugs, aren't we kind?

It's true the trams are earth return and there is quite a spike in ground current as they pass but due to the nature of ground and some strategic resistors it quickly dissipates.

It is neither AC nor DC, it is impulse current but I don't suppose your bugs are too concerned about that.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The boffins have been observing very high energy X rays coming from a galaxy cluster that could help prove or disprove whether string theory is correct or not. They were/still are looking for signs that high energy X rays from the galaxy cluster have turned into matter in the form of hypothetical particles called axion's. Unfortunately the axion's are a no show, so this has 'bu**ered things up' as they say. So they still have no clue whether string theory is true or not, so it's back to square one; again... 

• 2 months later...

I've just been reading of the anti-5G stick called the 5GBioShield which claims.

"Through a process of quantum oscillation, the 5GBioShield USB key balances and re-harmonises the disturbing frequencies arising from the electric fog induced by devices, such as laptops, cordless phones, wi-fi, tablets, et cetera,"

It turns out it's a standard £5  USB with a sticker on it that they are selling for £330. How can anyone believe such twaddle? It's about time someone came up with an anti-stupid pill

Thanks for the link CT.,it made interesting reading. Was it written by Enid Blyton? 

Just goes to show, how naive some people are.

With this 5G hoo-ahh I'm trying to work out how radio waves from a mobile mast can cause Covid19 or any other illness. Radars have been using similar frequencies with MUCH higher powers for decades with no ill effects. I'm wondering why no hoo-ahh over 3G & 4G when they fired up? Oh yeah there wasn't a pandemic going on at the same time... 

Can some bright egghead tell this dinosaur, who still uses a gas powered mobile what 5g is? ..Come to that, what's 4g!

There have various claims against electro magnetic waves over the years, the most enduring that they caused cancer.  It was even claimed that Italian building regs demanded bedroom circuits could be isolated during the night and that sleeping in parallel to the circuit was more dangerous than lying at right angles. There will always be urban legends just as  there will always be gullible people who believe such nonsense. 

Back in the 80’s when wireless telephone technology kicked off it was the first generation of such technology and was known as 1g. Over the years there have been ongoing improvements and as the technology improved it moved up a generation so we have Ig, 2g, 3g, 4g and now we are reaching the 5th generation of technological development i.e 5g. It’s purely a description of the current level of the technology of mobile communications.

• Upvote 1

Remember reading somewhere that when a radio or TV transmitter fired up in an area any hurricane/storm/earthquake/epidemic etc that happened was blamed on the new mysterious technology.  Some people seem to think if A is done & B follows then A must have caused B, they don't seem to be able to admit it could be a coincidence...

The trouble is people don't realise that interharmonics  condigitally conflate and the resultant interpolation when transposed to high frequency will have a negative predisposition towards subterranean stresses and unless some bugger shoots that butterfly in the amazon the will be a hurricane come September!    thumbsup

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

They have discovered lots of phosphine in the Venusian atmosphere & in all the science mags (New Scientist, Scientific American, Popular Science etc) they think it could indicate life. Notice the word COULD & not DOES, of course it's just a speculation. I've a funny feeling life will turn out to be a no show on Venus when they've done all the searching, I hope I'm wrong & will eat my words if I am.... ... P.S. I'd have said " I'l eat my hat if I'm wrong" but you lot WOULD have insisted I eat my hat if I turned out to be wrong. I might be daft, but not that daft...