Black holes & quantum physics.

In New Scientist that the universes rate of expansion seems to be accelerating even faster that they thought it was. They admit they don't have a clue why. They thought that when they started getting data from the gravity wave detectors in 2015 that things would start to make sense, but actually things are making less sense. Lots of head scratching going on in boffin world at the moment...

• Like 1
  • Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the usual Sunday afternoon pint with my physicist and scientific pals it was decided that I did have a purpose in life after all. If we were shipwrecked and in a lifeboat with no means of navigat

I remember when I was only nine or ten, sitting in a classroom looking out of the window and wondering - for the first time - whether I was really there or was all my life a dream, and how could I kno

Schroedinger holds no mystery in this household. If there's a box, there's always a cat in it. That's a probability of 1. When I receive a wine delivery, there are usually 2 boxes...one inside the oth

New Scientist speculated a few years ago that the increase in CO2 levels in the atmosphere could cause a massive increase in plant life that could suck up so much CO2 that it'd go below present levels. This'd then probably cause global cooling & another ice age. Nature has a habit of not doing what boffins think will happen... 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

At Fermi-lab they have achieved quantum teleportation of 23.7 miles, furthest ever AFAIK. However I speculate that NSA, CIA, KGB & GCHQ have been using quantum technology in super computers & for communications for years. Of course I have no evidence or proof for my speculations, but if they are they're not going to tell US are they? 

Colly, I wish I could understand all that.  Don’t suppose they have teleported a fly, have they!   There’s one dozy one in our house that I wish would teleport elsewhere.  It obviously isn’t an English fly as I’ve asked it several times to please go out into the garden but it doesn’t understand (or perhaps just chooses to stay inside). I like animals but I don’t want to be his/her best friend :bluespin04:

Btw, do you know what the number 137 means?  I was notified about it on Facebook?

There you go margie... fill yer boots..

https://science.howstuffworks.com/dictionary/physics-terms/why-is-137-most-magical-number.htm

I think a quick squirt of Flit will transport your fly to a more agreeble state margie..

As for teleporting I'm yet to be conviced. Many scientists have claimed to have proven atomic theory only to be proved wrong.

There was a Canadian company that claimed to have built a quantum computer... except they hadn't... see Bohrs and Sommerfield for models of electron movement.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Big debate in boffin land at moment on what to do when (or if) they find evidence of alien life. Some say we should try & contact them, but others are saying don't under any circumstances advertise our existence to them. I agree with the 'don't tell em we're here' brigade. First contact with the Spanish didn't go well for for the Inca's. There are many examples of Europeans making contact with less advanced civilizations & then using/robbing them for their own ends, lesson's to be learn't there IMO...  

I think that aliens would visit by stealth to learn all about us - they are possibly already walking round on earth unnoticed.  

• Like 1

I am convinced of the multiverse concept. Many planes of existence, possibly all coexisting in the same 'space' but at totally different vibrational levels and normally totally unaware of each other.

'Aliens', whatever an individual understands by this term, i suspect may simply be entities existing on a different vibrational plane. Not from outer space but inner space.

Our plane of existence, in my opinion, is pretty dense...in more ways than one!  A friend of mine likes to describe humans as 'cheesemites' going about their simple business, unaware of the possibility that higher forms of intelligent consciousness may be observing us.

We like to think we know such a lot. We don't. We're primitive, egocentred, unpredictable and downright bl**dy dangerous. I can't imagine that any being who was truly intelligent would want anything to do with us in our present stage of development.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I am convinced of the multiverse concept. Many planes of existence, possibly all coexisting in the same 'space'

There is a theory that the big bang was not instantaneous but took time, infinitesimally small but not instant. During that time many universes were created like bubbles and each 'bubble' created another and so on, a multiverse separated by tiny increments of space and time.

This opens up the possibility that somewhere 'out there' or 'in here' there is another 'us' another Ben, so perhaps ladies you should gather your skirts and run for the hills while you can!  smile2

• Like 1

Quite possibly but perhaps there are many other versions of us: a Ben who doesn't like women; a Brew who's a helpless alcoholic; a Trogg who's a right little Casanova; a Margie who's an atheist; a Cliff Ton who can't find his way round a map; a DJ who votes Conservative....another version of me who understands the inane witterings of Pythagoras. :blink:

Now that is scary!

• Like 6
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

@Jill Sparrowi would love to meet the other Margie ….. 

She couldn't be an improvement on you Margie :biggrin: 

The concept of multiverses and infinity are far too extreme although I could be persuaded about time being warped.

This post was made on June 21st 2026. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

She couldn't be an improvement on you Margie :biggrin: 

Ooooo good arrer    thumbsup

But with multiverses there will possibly be lots more Margies as well?  I’d like to meet them all…. But haven’t I read somewhere there are 11 dimensions- is that the same as multiverses?