Black holes & quantum physics.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the usual Sunday afternoon pint with my physicist and scientific pals it was decided that I did have a purpose in life after all. If we were shipwrecked and in a lifeboat with no means of navigat

I remember when I was only nine or ten, sitting in a classroom looking out of the window and wondering - for the first time - whether I was really there or was all my life a dream, and how could I kno

Schroedinger holds no mystery in this household. If there's a box, there's always a cat in it. That's a probability of 1. When I receive a wine delivery, there are usually 2 boxes...one inside the oth

What if, as Youmg Ms sparrow postulates, there are euqal and opposites?   philmayfield for instance going round giving free man-hugs....   ewwww.

A world where Trump makes sense and our glorious leaders tell the truth....     nah... sorry,,, got a bit carried away for a moment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PP thank you kind sir, but I’m not all sweetness and light… I do get a bit cross sometimes!!  But then I’m cross with myself for being cross if that makes sense…

• 1 month later...

In New Scientist that they've discovered that black holes exert a very tiny pressure. They've discovered this by incorporating quantum field theory with general relativity & viola = up pops pressure... Probably a bit more complicated than my description: I make it sound like they chucked quantum field theory & general relativity into a food mixer & turned it on, I'm guessing that is not what they did. They actually used a supercomputer & scientific noggin to work it out...      

• 2 months later...

The boffins are speculating that there could be a mini black hole in an orbit round the sun further out than Pluto, It would be about 5 to 15 times the mass of the sun & it's event horizon would be about the size of a grapefruit. They know there is a gravitational discrepancy in the orbit of Pluto but they can't see whats causing it. Of course a black hole would be - er - black so they wouldn't be able to see it would they? How they are going to prove this black hole exists I haven't got a clue, but I love these scientific speculations...

On 9/10/2021 at 4:25 PM, colly0410 said:

They actually used a supercomputer & scientific noggin to work it out...      

You mean I can't do it on me Woolies Textet calculator?... I berra can..... there you go the answer is ................42

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Can somebody explain that lot to me please?

Google is your friend:

A black hole is a region of spacetime where gravity is so strong that nothing — no particles or even electromagnetic radiation such as light — can escape from it. The theory of general relativity predicts that a sufficiently compact mass can deform spacetime to form a black hole

• Like 1

Google might be me friend Brew, but it's still all to deep for me.

The only black hole I know is the one I worked down at Bestwood.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's all relatively simple BK, just remember the singularity at the center of a black hole doesn't actually exist...   :Shock:

• Like 1

It's rather like the philosophical concept that any object which does not exist infers an identical object which DOES exist.  Arrived at by St Thomas Aquinas...or it might have been St Anselm.

Thus, a polo mint has nothing at its centre. Yet if you can stick your tongue through its centre while you're eating it, it must have physical space there or you would not be able to do so!

Therefore, just think of black holes as black polo mints...now there's a diverse and equal opps niche market for some Enterprising (pun intended) person to exploit. :wacko:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brew said:

It's all relatively simple BK, just remember the singularity at the center of a black hole doesn't actually exist...   :Shock:

Nope ! Now you've lost me completely.

You and Miss Sparrow above are doing me 'ead in totally.

• Like 1

I always like to share my Polo's, I had the mint and anyone could have the hole... 50/50... can't say fairer than that

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There has been over 1,600 Fast Radio Bursts (FRB's) in 47 days from the same part of space. No one knows what is causing these FRB's, of course aliens have come up, but they speculate that it's more likely to be a magetar behaving in a strange way never seen before. I so love these scientific mysteries, & long may they continue... 

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Whoever they are, Colly, if they're looking for intelligent life on this planet they're in for a huge disappointment

Reminds me of  Monty Pyton's Galaxy Song...

• Like 2