Black holes & quantum physics.

Remember the Cadbury's Smash advert? Those little tin aliens...

Planet Earth:

Sleepy Joe Biden, President of the USA

Bungling Boris, British PM,

Pouting Putin, threatening to cut the gas off,

President Xi, in his country the situation is always 'excerrent', Chinese automatons,

Half the middle east and Africa wanting to up sticks and move somewhere else,

They're rolling on the floor in hysterics.

"Steer an evasive course, Mr Spong. We don't want to get mixed up with them. They're all barking!"

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the usual Sunday afternoon pint with my physicist and scientific pals it was decided that I did have a purpose in life after all. If we were shipwrecked and in a lifeboat with no means of navigat

I remember when I was only nine or ten, sitting in a classroom looking out of the window and wondering - for the first time - whether I was really there or was all my life a dream, and how could I kno

Schroedinger holds no mystery in this household. If there's a box, there's always a cat in it. That's a probability of 1. When I receive a wine delivery, there are usually 2 boxes...one inside the oth

They have discovered the biggest most ginormous galaxy 3 billion light years away, it is about 16.3 million light years in diameter. For reference our Milky Way galaxy is about 106,000 light years in diameter, so it's a little bit bigger init....   

• 1 month later...

The science magazine's & website's have been going on about 'Odd Radio Circles,' these appear to be as they say on the tin - a diffuse area of radio waves about a million light years across. They seem have a central galaxy at the centre that also have an active super massive black hole in them, they've discovered 5 so far, & speculate that more must exist out there... 

Jill... I'd love for them to find evidence of intelligent life somewhere in the universe. But I wouldn't want to send messages or advertise our presence to them as they could be unfriendly, & if they're more advanced than us it could be a disaster for us & other life forms on earth, Stephen Hawking touched on this when he said "white Europeans making contact with native Americans wasn't good news for them." Hopefully we'll learn from history - but I wouldn't bet on it 

I don't think we learn much at all, Colly. A friend of mine often compares the human race to cheese mites: so intent on devouring as much cheese as possible and leaving a trail of devastation in our wake that we're totally oblivious to who may be observing us and we're so arrogant we assume there couldn't possibly be any life form superior to ourselves.  You can bet we've got that wrong.

Maybe that's why I love cheese so much!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Further to the comments up-thread about the great void in space where there's nowt there, there's a thing called the Great attractor in the Virgo & Hydra-Centaurus super-clusters that's pulling everything towards it. It lies about 150 - 250 million light years from the Milky Way, which is it's self being pulled towards it. The boffins have zero idea what the Great Attractor is, but it must have lots & lots & lots of mass. I suspect it could be a super gigantic mega massive black hole. Problem is it lies behind the central bulge of the Milky Way, so the Great Attractor can't be directly observed from earth. Something else to think about when I can't sleep...      

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If I remember right it takes 200 million years for the milky way to rotate, so 100 million years from now we should have a clear view of it. I'll let you know what it looks like...   :P

• Like 1

Has anyone been watching Jim Al Khalili's new series. 'Secrets of Size'?

It deals with some of this stuff and Jim is very easy to follow.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

The astronomers had been watching a very massive star that was acting very weird, they were expecting it to go supernova at any time, but, to their surprise, it vanished, leaving them scratching their heads. They're speculating that the star went straight to a black hole. Usually when a star runs out of fuel the collapsing stuff rushes into the middle of the star & rebounds causing the supernova explosion, but if the stars mass is big enough the collapsing stuff goes straight into the giant hoover bag of the newly created black hole & is gone for ever. I so love reading about these sort of things...

• Like 2

Jill... They admit they don't really know what is going on, but so far it's the only explanation that seems to make any sense for the observation... 

There's a hypothesis going round that anything that falls into a black hole appears in a paralell universe, however so far there is zero evidence that this actually happens...

• 2 weeks later...

In science news sites that they've discovered a massive black hole in intergalactic space whizzing away from a galaxy at high speed. They speculate that it was kicked out of the galaxy by one or two more massive black holes that resulted from a two or three galaxy smash up. These black holes can be bullies cant they?