colly0410

Black holes & quantum physics.

I have been watching the Magic Numbers series presented by Prof Hannah Fry on BBC4. It was excellent. In lay person's terms Hannah made numbers and the development of maths so interesting. Programme 3 was last night and Hannah related quantum physics to biology and particularly photosynthesis. Using entanglement theory from quantum physics she explained how absorption of light energy from photons by chlorophyll allows the energy to be shared by all the molecules. Particles are synchronised. 

The link for the detail of the programme is:

www.open.edu/openlearn/tv-radio-events/tv/magic-numbers-hannah-frys-mysterious-world-maths?episode=21615#episode-details_21615

Enjoy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BilboroughShirley said:

I have been watching the Magic Numbers series presented by Prof Hannah Fry on BBC4. It was excellent. In lay person's terms Hannah made numbers and the development of maths so interesting. Programme 3 was last night and Hannah related quantum physics to biology and particularly photosynthesis. Using entanglement theory from quantum physics she explained how absorption of light energy from photons by chlorophyll allows the energy to be shared by all the molecules. Particles are synchronised. 

The link for the detail of the programme is:

www.open.edu/openlearn/tv-radio-events/tv/magic-numbers-hannah-frys-mysterious-world-maths?episode=21615#episode-details_21615

Enjoy!

I've been watching that, too, and really enjoying it apart from Hannah's seemingly endless walks up, down and around that particular landscape - where is it anyway?  I was also particularly interested In how the subatomic particles in the chlorophyll synchronise with each other..... fascinating stuff!

I wonder if there will ever be a unified theory of 'everything'....  perhaps it will have a 42 in it  somewhere (or not)

• Like 1

There is still a lot of scientific argument around quantum biology, especially the synchronicity of sub- atomic particles.

A bit like Google Earth then. People tell me about the wonderful places they’ve been so I Google it and wander round the streets and think “that’s alright”. Why go through the hassle of travel and airports when you can do it from your armchair and not have to mix with those foreign Jonnies? :biggrin:

• Like 2

^^^The weather's often better in these places^^^

Certainly is where I live than it ever was in England

• Like 1

I've recorded 'magic numbers' but not got round to watching it yet, looking forwards to viewing it... 

Been reading a book about things we don't know e.g. dark matter, dark energy, gravity, etc. & of course these are the things we know we don't know, it speculated about things we don't know we don't know... I was surprised to see 'gravity' as a 'don't know' as I thought we'd sorted that one out decades ago, but no. Other forces like electro-magnetism swop photons, the strong force gluons & the weak force W+, W-, & Z bosons, but gravity doesn't seem to swap anything. There's speculation that there is a gravity force carrier particle called the 'graviton'  but it has not been found, yet, Maybe the gravity waves they've been receiving just lately will turn something up... They don't know if antimatter is attracted or repelled by gravity. If repelled then it could possibly explain dark energy, if attracted then it's back to square one again... 

I've always wondered why gravity should exist... I know it does and the larger the mass, the greater the gravity, but WHY is this the case?   

This is a subject that can really drag you down...…………...

• Like 1

Good job we do have gravity as birds wouldn't be able to land, & when they died of old age they'd stay up there for ever.... I'll get me coat, :) .. 

On 10/25/2018 at 8:40 PM, MargieH said:

I've been watching that, too, and really enjoying it apart from Hannah's seemingly endless walks up, down and around that particular landscape - where is it anyway?  I was also particularly interested In how the subatomic particles in the chlorophyll synchronise with each other..... fascinating stuff!

I wonder if there will ever be a unified theory of 'everything'....  perhaps it will have a 42 in it  somewhere (or not)

The place is Jupiter Artlands near Livingston, Scotland

https://www.jupiterartland.org/visit

-33.jpg

• Like 1

Just been reading on the Scientific American website that they've discovered that sound waves have a (very small) negative mass. I'm trying to get my head around the concept of negative mass. When I read it I thought it was the 1'st of April come early...

Have they proved or just is it just a hypothesis? I've heard of Casimie effect and negative pressure but mass?

• Like 1

Crumbs, all this is above my head.  I got 13% in my Physics O Level mock exam (53 years ago mind)

Sir made me drop it :wacko:  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The only black hole that concerns me, is the one in my bank account !  :flyswat:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brew said:

Have they proved or just is it just a hypothesis? I've heard of Casimie effect and negative pressure but mass?

It says they have "theorised that negative mass exists" we all know how theories can turn out to be wrong so is this one of those times? I lay in bed last night thinking of how negative mass could work but, but I got no answers. If it turns out to be true then it'd be nature having a laugh at our expense. 

• Upvote 1

The journal ' Scientific Reports' are quoted as saying that a Russian experiment has defied the second law of thermodynamics and reversed the direction of times arrow! An 'evolution program' carried out during research into quantum computers has shown that qubits (sub atomic particles) have been scattered randomly but then revert to their original state. The claim is that it is time travel ...I can do the same with a rubber ball!

• Like 1